Heavy metal.

exotic

i have only heard British steel.. and i really like what i heard. the 30 th anniversary album live version is fantastic. the other albums didn't really catch me ... i have to listen to them now though, might just hit the spot like rapid fire in the car yesterday .. was almost as if the car picked up speed on its own, honest to god . :D

what would you recommend other than Iron maiden if i were to ask you for some recommendations similar to priest ?

as far as priest goes

try defenders of the faith, screaming for vengeance

much earlier on, sad wings of destiny

w.a.s.p. not quite priest but, melodic as fuck

try 3 inches of blood, more modern priest sound, with shrieking rob halford like vocals

i know am forgetting lots of similar groups, been a long day

get back to you

heres a song for you

from my favorite priest album, prob my favorite song, even though there are a few

tips and kk at their shredding best, rob on form as ever...

he may not be able to hit the notes as high these days, but i swear he getting better and better as he ages!

as far as priest goes

try defenders of the faith, screaming for vengeance

much earlier on, sad wings of destiny

w.a.s.p. not quite priest but, melodic as fuck

try 3 inches of blood, more modern priest sound, with shrieking rob halford like vocals

i know am forgetting lots of similar groups, been a long day

get back to you

heres a song for you

from my favorite priest album, prob my favorite song, even though there are a few

tips and kk at their shredding best, rob on form as ever...

he may not be able to hit the notes as high these days, but i swear he getting better and better as he ages!

gonna check out the names thanks.

nice one your favorite , very different from BS but still pretty awesome.

i was just watching the video of the their 30th anniversary tour .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01HjDnY9_c

i think i found my new favourite - 38:51 onwards till the 40:22 . gosh i dont have words to describe the feeling. mesmerising maybe ? it comes close but it still isnt nailing it. these guys must have been on fire in their prime. true metal gods!!! i bow in respect

gonna check out the names thanks.

nice one your favorite , very different from BS but still pretty awesome.

i was just watching the video of the their 30th anniversary tour .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01HjDnY9_c

i think i found my new favourite - 38:51 onwards till the 40:22 . gosh i dont have words to describe the feeling. mesmerising maybe ? it comes close but it still isnt nailing it. these guys must have been on fire in their prime. true metal gods!!! i bow in respect

indeed! true metal gods!

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, it was good. Really good. But the aggression was less than on the albums ... that's understandable though. After all the venue (a far too small hall in Vienna, but with a good soundsystem) was very filled up with people ... so there was no moshpit or something, there was just too little room for that and also the people were not so much of that type -- there were old and young, all mixed together in the crowd. Which was cool.

It's challenging anyway, to bring so many different eras of their musical life into one set ... but they did it quite well. With a lot of old stuff -- Alison Hell, King Of The Kill, Refresh The Demon -- loved that ... and also their new stuff and even their newest album, which I didn't know before. All nice and solid.

They played nice and long ... with only one larger break that consisted of three ballads -- I hate ballads, so it was good to have these done in one go.

They let the drummer play a solo which was insane. It felt like ten minutes only him trashing the whole drumset like a madman. Awesome!

I'm happy that I was there :)

hehe, it was good. Really good. But the aggression was less than on the albums ... that's understandable though. After all the venue (a far too small hall in Vienna, but with a good soundsystem) was very filled up with people ... so there was no moshpit or something, there was just too little room for that and also the people were not so much of that type -- there were old and young, all mixed together in the crowd. Which was cool.

It's challenging anyway, to bring so many different eras of their musical life into one set ... but they did it quite well. With a lot of old stuff -- Alison Hell, King Of The Kill, Refresh The Demon -- loved that ... and also their new stuff and even their newest album, which I didn't know before. All nice and solid.

They played nice and long ... with only one larger break that consisted of three ballads -- I hate ballads, so it was good to have these done in one go.

They let the drummer play a solo which was insane. It felt like ten minutes only him trashing the whole drumset like a madman. Awesome!

I'm happy that I was there :)

awsome!

drum solo's more and more common these days, when i was at black sabbath recently, there drummer went sick for 10 mins also, they walked off stage, few lines i would imagine, sit down,cup of tea!

all the oldies slowing down. hence the solos and balads

sounds great, glad they played plenty of old stuff, might check out their latest also

I'm so glad modern technology has made it possible for people to put up little mini walls between my eyes and the band I'm trying to watch! :wacko:

I saw Slayer and Gojira on the 1st. It was good overall, although I would have liked Gojira to play for longer. But so many people lift up their damned phones so they can take video, and it's right in my line of sight! I don't get it; I saw people who seemed to watch the show more through their tiny little phone screen than the actual life-sized one in front of them!

I second that. I am so fed up of these phone recording faggots who then put up videos on youtube with bad optics and a horrific sound quality. It's awful! And the dozens of phone screens held up in the air look absolutely pathetic!

Fortunately I was too busy with headbanging on my last concerts to care too much about them, but I'm absolutely behind you on this.

I don't know why they don't forbid this. Maybe one day it will come. But until then we will have to wait :(

I'm so glad modern technology has made it possible for people to put up little mini walls between my eyes and the band I'm trying to watch! :wacko:

I saw Slayer and Gojira on the 1st. It was good overall, although I would have liked Gojira to play for longer. But so many people lift up their damned phones so they can take video, and it's right in my line of sight! I don't get it; I saw people who seemed to watch the show more through their tiny little phone screen than the actual life-sized one in front of them!

how was slayer?

gary holt guitaring?

any oldschool surprises, just wondering as figuring out their next move now jeff has gone

Slayer was great, Gary Holt is good. I didn't realize it beforehand, but apparently Dave Lombardo is (again) not playing with them, so it's just two original members. They had a neat new banner behind them at the end of the show that looked like the Heinneken logo, but said "Hanneman".

Saw Slayer playing in summer and there they had the same thing with the Heineken logo. Must be their new thing. I don't get the joke though.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know he died :( ... I also don't know what the banner exactly said, I only remember the word Hannemann ... but that explained it quite well...

• 3 weeks later...

dammit, im supposed to be at a Hollow Earth gig... I love metal in all its forms, well, not all... i think the early 90s glam is a bone of contention tbh.. id sooner cut my ears off than listen to faster pussycat or bulletboys. seriously.

So much great things are happening in the USA regarding the black metal music, especially so called post-black metal subgenre. Many great bands and projects are doing some amazing primordial and ambiental stuff, but yet so powerful, with wonderful lyrics. The most recent example is this masterpiece (my favorite part starts around 8th minute):

dammit, im supposed to be at a Hollow Earth gig... I love metal in all its forms, well, not all... i think the early 90s glam is a bone of contention tbh.. id sooner cut my ears off than listen to faster pussycat or bulletboys. seriously.

ha!

what about early 80's hair metal, was not much into it, do like ratt though, it all ended with guns n roses!

Reminds me on Shpongle.

photo_large7.jpg

Wolves in the Throne Room is an American black metal band formed in 2003 in Olympia, Washington. According to the band, one of the founding concepts of WITTR is to channel the "energies of the Pacific Northwest's landscape" into musical form.

Wolves in the Throne Room has rejected most of the traditional traits of black metal such as corpse paint, the use of pseudonyms and Satanic imagery.[2][13] Member Aaron Weaver has said, "Wolves in the Throne Room is not black metal, or, more accurately, we play black metal on our own terms, for our own reasons."[8]

The band, based out of its farm outside the Olympia city limits, is well known for their interests expressed through their imagery and lyrics, such as radical ecology, bio-dynamic farming, and creating a nature-based occult worldview, which differ from the traditional topics associated with black metal.[14][15][16][17] They focus on themes of apocalypse, transformation and modern society's lost connection with the natural world.[5] The band's music has been described as "eco-metal", "organic metal", "astral black metal" and "Cascadian black metal".[5][18][19][20]

Unlike most modern metal bands, Wolves in the Throne Room always use vintage amplifiers and recording equipment. They mentioned in one interview that they despise modern recording techniques such as looping and drum triggers.[21]

Wolves in the Throne Room's sound is influenced by Scandinavian black metal,[2][3] while doom metal, dark ambient, crust punk, and folk music influences also exist. Wolves in the Throne Room has often cited American band Neurosis as a key inspiration because their music "operates on a deep and intense mythic level".[2][22] They have also mentioned synthesizer artists like Popol Vuh as an influence.[23]

Wolves in the Throne Room prefer their live concerts to be firelit, whether it be performing outdoors or in an indoor venue.[14] The band also do not permit flash photography at their shows.[24]

The band despises moshing and violence at their shows because they see their music as meditative rather than aggressive. Member Aaron Weaver has stated that he wants people to, "lay on the floor and cry", when the band plays live.[1]

The group have said that starting in 2010 they will tour with their own PA system so they will no longer be forced to play at traditional venues. They have often advocated a do-it-yourself (DIY) approach to music.[1]

photolarge.jpg

photolarge4.jpg

wittr.jpg

23065825.jpg

I went to a few hardrock and metal concerts when I was in my teens (Guns'n'Roses, Sepulture, Faith No More...) and enjoyed the music a lot. Nowadays I still like harder rock stuff but I rarely buy albums. Some exeptions: second Billy Talent album, 10'000 Fists by Disturbed, Passenger by Passenger,l Soilwork by Figure Nr. 5, some Rammstein... I somehow lack the time to dig for the good stuff but I used to be in the same office with a guy going crazy for all sorts of banging rock. He showed me lots of nice stuff.