Tech-house more "trancing" than psychedelic and goa?

Procyon

Just this moment I am listening to DI.FM Goa/Psy channel and they're playing Hugh Sharpe - Trip Through Time (1998), a mix of 1998 tracks, of course. It is sad to hear that tracks from that year were so "trancey", and that this element is almost gone from psychedelic trance and its subgenres but it's present in other genres as Tribal House or Tech House. I agree with someone who said in this thread that trance is achieved thru repetitive patterns, it's obvious in Hugh Sharpe's mix.

I don't know how to repeat a channel in DI. FM, but if you have the chance, listen to Sharpe's mix, it's gorgeous.

I heard that mix a few years ago during the summer solstice event. Good stuff. That is definitely the style that I fell in love with and will always be close to my heart. I feel like there can be a common middle ground between faster, aggressive full on with lots of energy, and the trancey stuff from back then. Mindsphere's album comes kind of close, but I think the idea is to slowly build and evolve the melodies which is not a very easy thing to do.

Well, the stuff I'm referring to I don't even really listen to, so I'm not familiar with the artists. When it comes to non-psychedelic trance, what I have in my collection is also largely less hypnotic. But my go-to reference for classic trance is:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBeTPpr98g

I've checked the push EP in good quality (streaming is not good enough to have it's full effect) and indeed this is a good track.

The radio edit of the track push seemed the best but it stopped by fading out and was very short.

The second rmx (Universal Nation (DuMonde Remix)) is much better, especially the climax.

It has indeed a high level of trance by it's repetitive and simplicity and that's good.

That's probably why I experience E-mantra's second album one off the best Suntrip releases.

It also hasn't got any sudden changes or shifts and doesn't explode. Except for track 4 it brings me into trance very smoothly and that is just perfect.

I'm going to dig some deeper into regular trance. Thanx for the recommendation, I enjoyed it...

I have just found the Tech-house radio station in DI.FM. Some tracks are more industrial, some very housey, you have to pick up to make a trancey set list. I asked to a friend of mine his favorite tech-house track, he pointed me to the below video. Actually it's a house track from 1995, but he said it's the parameter to his setlist. If you listen to it in a good earset, it has the sort of tranciness I mentioned above.

Johnny Corporate - In The Pocket

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZB7qJ8hvIo

PS. It's not my topic guys, fell free to elaborate on it as you wish.

I know it's not tech house (its progressive house), but this track immediately made me think of inner laugh, and by quoting Procyon's words it is more trancing than most of the full on out there!

yes, it's trancy, but for me tech house is too boring and too commercial sounding. after all it's still house. i'll gladly take some straight techno instead. it has the same of trancyness and more energy and power.

still, the number one trance-inducing track i know is found in goa trance:

it has the monotony and regularity of all those tech-styles, but still the enveloping warmth of trance and that combination enables me to totally get lost in it.

SWM's and Kali's tracks are good examples of tech-trance, IMO. Liked them a lot.

Today I listened to the Epic Trance radio in DI.FM. Switched some times to the Psy/Goa radio, but the Epic Trance radio was a winner: much groovier, uplifting and trancey than the Brainiac set from last Universo Paralelo.

Am I the only one thinking that the psychedelic scene has become boring?

In general I don´t agree that tech-house is more "entrancing" than psychedelic and goa, but I see some of your points. But A LOT of tech-house simply lacks last drisle of openess in the sound that can lead the thoughts "away", and is directed too much at the club environment. That of course is also the problem in a lot of full on / prog and other types of music related the psychedelic scene. But in my mind they also left the psychedelic movement and became something else quite some time back, only the name sticks. But regarding "entrancement" I think the techno scene has more to offer than tech-house.

examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcfMLw9Ak50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phNBawuc3nI

but of course some tech-house is very "entrancing" like "Masomenos - Juhuu":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTG73Fo1CH8

Which I don't think can be said about "Johnny Corporate - In The Pocket" which was posted earlier which is also not tech-house as adressed earlier. I think that track is very far from being "trancy" actually...

In general I don´t agree that tech-house is more "entrancing" than psychedelic and goa, but I see some of your points. But A LOT of tech-house simply lacks last drisle of openess in the sound that can lead the thoughts "away", and is directed too much at the club environment. That of course is also the problem in a lot of full on / prog and other types of music related the psychedelic scene. But in my mind they also left the psychedelic movement and became something else quite some time back, only the name sticks. But regarding "entrancement" I think the techno scene has more to offer than tech-house.

examples

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcfMLw9Ak50

This track is an example of the reason I'm more into techno then psytrance nowadays.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, it's groovy, anything can be, even pop music, but that does not mean it can keep your dancers going for extended periods of time.

Nonsense. A sweeping comment which is completely wrong.

It may not be your cup of tea, but tech-house can absolutely keep people dancing.

Pedro

I am more open minded after listening to tech-house. It can be as powerful as goa or psy. Lately I have been listening to tribal-house (amazing, really!), and little by litlle returning to the source (Return To The Source party, anyone? BTW)...listening to techno more and more.