Tech-house more "trancing" than psychedelic and goa?

Procyon

Last week I played a goa set (the same I posted in the DJ Promo section) and was pretty satisfied with the reaction. After me, a house DJ played and his set blew my mind. Making a 1-hour history short, his tracks were refined, uplifiting and what really caught my ears were the hypnotic effects I thought belonged to the trance section of electronica. Honestly, I caught myself liking more his set than mine. I am not comparing his set against mine, but the general technical aspects of them - that translates as the hypnotic element in the tracks. I am a hard fan of Goa, never thought would find another genre that would call my attention, but tech-house is far more "entrancing" that I firts thought. That said, any recommendation of tech-house is welcome.

I used to go out to tech-house parties a lot 8 years ago, but probably it evolved reading your post which is great.

So I'm also curious.

I never listened to it at home, so I don't know any names or albums :(

I hope someone will on this platform...

Yes some tech house is really good and can have a much more "trancing" effect as you put it. Its slower , groovier and less hectic than most of psychedelic music not to mention much more suited to indoor gigs than psychedelic trance.

I used to listen to DJ Slater's sets from tribal vision and they used to rock. I wish i had the track list for one his sets, one of the grooviest sets ive heard. He also mixed some psy which went really well with the tech house stuff.

Dnox & beckers, Brisker & Magitman and some of Ducas tracks are what I would call a hybrid crossover between psychedelic prog and tech house.

Boris Brejcha is regarded as one of the best djs in the techno scene. He plays a mix of minimal , techno and tech house. Maybe you could check him out.

Tech-house is great... I used to listen to that alot. Getting more and more into psy-trance as time goes.

One of my all time favorites are Theorem - THX: Experiments in Synchronicity

Quite mellow for being tech-house...not really sure if it's suitable to dance to.. but I like it nonetheless.

Cheers!

Dnox & beckers, Brisker & Magitman and some of Ducas tracks are what I would call a hybrid crossover between psychedelic prog and tech house.

prog ok, but tech house?

I don't know if we share the same idea what tech house is.

Tech house hasn't got a regular baseline at all like techno or trance.

It stops, smashes and goes on. It goes back and forth all the time, not forward...

( well here in Belgium it does, when I used to party on it, maybe it changed)

One of my all time favorites are Theorem - THX: Experiments in Synchronicity

Let's check Theorem to get an idea :)

Edit: Experiments in Synchronicity is from 2002, that's not new and should be the tech house how I remember it. (we!ll see :) )

I don't know much about tech house, but most if not all forms of trance left behind the "tranciness" long ago. A lot of goa is not the least bit trancy or hypnotic, but that doesn't necessarily affect the quality.

I think that's why I felt surprised: I had this idea that trancing out in electronic music was inherently related to trance only. I was expecting some industrial/NY club from his set, but it was deeply hypnotic in a way that I wish trance was doing instead of tech-house.

a friend and psy-goa dj here in Greece told something like you describe Procyon

he start to collect such tech house and minimal stuff

one day i went to his house to hear some stuff

there is REALLY very good music from this genre

i like it very much(im die hard old goa sound fun) but i must say that i was impress,i heard old trance souscapes etc

so my reactions was :NO NO im not interest ,i dont have the courage after so many years to follow in ''hard way'' a new style :wacko::D:lol:

I tend to disagree from my experience, could you put that in more detail? ? I'm interested in yours, if not, that's ok, off course ;)

Not directed to me, but I would like to contribute. IMO, there are some elements that are not used in trance - or when used, in a light way in comparison - that other genres are using in a more trancey way. Namely, echoes, space sounds, vocals, kicks, effects, and all the combinations of them. Not only tech-house, but house and "normal" trance seem to be more hypnotic these days.

Eh, tech-house, prog, whatever you want to call it totally lacks energy imo. Yes, it's groovy, anything can be, even pop music, but that does not mean it can keep your dancers going for extended periods of time. As a side note, goa used to be very trancy and some artists still have that feeling but given how melodically oriented it is, song structures just don't lend themselves to lengthy, slow building movements. Goa trance is more about the impact of how the song shifts from one part to the next to tell a more complex story.

Not directed to me, but I would like to contribute. IMO, there are some elements that are not used in trance - or when used, in a light way in comparison - that other genres are using in a more trancey way. Namely, echoes, space sounds, vocals, kicks, effects, and all the combinations of them. Not only tech-house, but house and "normal" trance seem to be more hypnotic these days.

That's more then ok off course... thanx!

But still uhu, I'll need more opinions, I'm not entirely convinced (what doesn't have to be)

But I can follow your train of thoughts.

I've got "Experiments in Synchronicity" that KozmikTentacles recommended in high quality just know

it wasn't that easy to find, I had to bargain :rolleyes:

Then again it's from 2002, (discogs: http://www.discogs.c...ty/master/69394)

So I don't know if your set included the latest tech house?

But I will probably listen to it today or tomorrow...

EDIT:

I just listened to "Experiments in Synchronicity" for the first time and to my experience

it's not more trancing or psychedelic then goa/prog/psytrance.

It's also not less.

In the beginning a had a bit of a wow effect,

but after some self reflecting I've noticed that probably it's the result of the fact

that I'm listening to something that I'm not used to, something different,

but still contains elements that I adore (trance, psychedelics, atmosphere).

I wonder If I would listen to tech house all the time,

and suddenly listen to a progressive/psy album for one time

I could have the same effect.

Like we have an expression in Dutch (don't know how in English)

"The grass is/always will be greener on the other side" but at the end etc...

Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, I've enjoyed, and it's only 'one' album,

there is off course more...

I do agree with johnb820 psy/goa/prog shifts more and has more energy

and I miss that listening to "Experiments in Synchronicity"

I tend to disagree from my experience, could you put that in more detail? ? I'm interested in yours, if not, that's ok, off course ;)

Some trance, of course, is trancey, but a lot just isn't. The music from when the name 'trance' was first given was trancey, that early, classic stuff. In my opinion, the more complicated the melodies and everything get, the less hypnotic it is. But that's OK.

As far as goa/psy goes, I'd say the most "trancey" I've heard is Blue Planet Corporation, especially the stuff on Blueprint For Survival, because it's so much more like classic trance than goa.

Now, I think music can be 'psychedelic' without being 'trancey'. A lot of goa/psy is psychedelic to me without being trancey.

@ Veracohr,

that I understand yes, and I do agree with your thinking and the blue planet corporation example.

The complexity that goa brings along often breaks the trancyness. the fact that it's simple

and repeating that brings you slowly into trance more and more (correct me if I'm wrong).

The sudden changes and shifts break that effect (again correct me ;) )

Do you have any example of that type of trance (old trance) you are referring too (youtube links).

I have some but I'm curious...

Probably here : http://www.psynews.o...ce/#entry944224

ps: sorry for hijacking your topic Procyon, then again it's psynews, it'll get back on topic ;)

prog ok, but tech house?

I don't know if we share the same idea what tech house is.

Tech house hasn't got a regular baseline at all like techno or trance.

It stops, smashes and goes on. It goes back and forth all the time, not forward...

( well here in Belgium it does, when I used to party on it, maybe it changed)

It has some elements of tech house (combination of tecnho and house ) , not all of it just psyprog or techouse obviously , a combination of both. :)

Regarding the bassline i know what you referring to , i hate that kind of techno/commerical which does back and forth instead of progressing. the artists i mentioned dont have that so maybe we do have a different take on what techouse is. Im referring to progressive techouse while you're talking about the old minimal detroit style tech house.

It has some elements of tech house (combination of tecnho and house ) , not all of it just psyprog or techouse obviously , a combination of both. :)

Regarding the bassline i know what you referring to , i hate that kind of techno/commerical which does back and forth instead of progressing. the artists i mentioned dont have that so maybe we do have a different take on what techouse is. Im referring to progressive techouse while you're talking about the old minimal detroit style tech house.

ok :), and indeed I also don't like that kind of baseline, I never could dance to it when I went to those parties :wacko:

I have just found the Tech-house radio station in DI.FM. Some tracks are more industrial, some very housey, you have to pick up to make a trancey set list. I asked to a friend of mine his favorite tech-house track, he pointed me to the below video. Actually it's a house track from 1995, but he said it's the parameter to his setlist. If you listen to it in a good earset, it has the sort of tranciness I mentioned above.

Johnny Corporate - In The Pocket

PS. It's not my topic guys, fell free to elaborate on it as you wish.

Do you have any example of that type of trance (old trance) you are referring too (youtube links).

I have some but I'm curious...

Probably here : http://www.psynews.o...ce/#entry944224

Well, the stuff I'm referring to I don't even really listen to, so I'm not familiar with the artists. When it comes to non-psychedelic trance, what I have in my collection is also largely less hypnotic. But my go-to reference for classic trance is:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBeTPpr98g

I love tech house and I understand exactly what you mean. Before I never had interest in it and I saw it as to commercial music. But then I listened to some songs from 'Wehbba' that hit me and since then I found a lot of good stuff. The thing I like about it, is that it's progressing in a slow way and every effect can get to you because nothing goes unnoticed. There's a good groove going on and when I'm in to the song it really gives me a hypnotic feeling. The same goes for progressive trance and progressive house for me. :)

This is also the reason that I generally hate dark psytrance and really fast crazy full-on. It's to chaotic and therefor I do not really get a trance feeling from this. Especially the super fast crazy dark stuff.. what the fuck is up with that?

For some recommendations check out my tech-house thread in 'other electronics'. I put a bunch of artist in there. :)

Also Tribal Vision is indeed a good label! Have released some great stuff.

I listen to frisky radio: http://www.friskyradio.com/ and that offers some awesome sets of progressive house and tech house that many times are on the border of psychedelic. I understand exactly what you mean. Erich LH, Kevin Shiu and many other DJs deliver some awesome sets. Check it out!

I can't remember exatly how tech house sounded and my headphones are broken so I can't listen to the clips, but indeet there are other electronica genres that sound ver good. I like electronic music that sounds like goa trance with the same bassline but has less melody and more clubby sounds, it should sound electronic though and have some melody rom time to time, but such music sounds incredible for parties since it is nnot as deep, what canÄt of msic is this? Progressive?

Just this moment I am listening to DI.FM Goa/Psy channel and they're playing Hugh Sharpe - Trip Through Time (1998), a mix of 1998 tracks, of course. It is sad to hear that tracks from that year were so "trancey", and that this element is almost gone from psychedelic trance and its subgenres but it's present in other genres as Tribal House or Tech House. I agree with someone who said in this thread that trance is achieved thru repetitive patterns, it's obvious in Hugh Sharpe's mix.

I don't know how to repeat a channel in DI. FM, but if you have the chance, listen to Sharpe's mix, it's gorgeous.