The Beauty Of Noise

Metasynth Remix

Your Mind

Heavy Touristic Featuring – DJ Magical

The Face Featuring – DJ Magical

The Last Planet

Music Therapy

Sometimes Different

Here we are again with a new Shiva Chandra release. This is an artist that does not need any

introduction at all. Since 1996 he has been present with his concept and manage to adapt it

every time to the new trends of goa/psy/progressive trance. He went along with all mainstream concepts

from goatrance to psytrance, progressive trance and more. There is one thing we all know

about Shiva Chandra what makes his trance so unique. And that is off course his baseline.

There is no such thing as a good old fashion Shiva Chandra baseline. It's always motivated,

kinda funny and uplifting. It gives me that positive goa vibe what attracted me to goa in the

first place so I'm always glad a new Shiva Chandra album gets released cause I know I can

count on the fact that his baseline will be involved. He sticks to his pattern and that's

good. He's a pioneer considering those type off baselines and has the right to do it over,

and over again. And that is what you can expect from this album "The Beauty Of Noise".

The latest development of psy/progressive trance combined with his baseline.

It has more house element, more progressive but also more melodic but in non fluffy way.

Shiva chandra was never into over melodic trance and keeps that atmosphere.

In "The Beauty of noise" he really put some effort to create diversity in his melodies, synths, sound etc...

In earlier albums sometimes he got criticizes allot upon to much on "only" his baseline.

But that is not the cause in his latest album.

He actually tried to create a concept album (considering Shiva chandra) by using a lot

of different elements combining them trying to tell a story using trance as a tole...

Each track has it own style and it's own individual outcome. Shiva chandra variates his

baseline more and more what I applause. Each time he stops his baseline and starts with it

again I experience it as a "kick" in my head.

I'm not a fan off reviewing track by track anymore (I used to in the past) cause I like to

leave some to the imagination and eventually listeners have to make up their own mind.

But then again, it has been a while, and I'm in a good mood, so why not :)

"Simple" is a good starter. Shiva chandra does not wait with his baseline and goes straight

ahead. A very gentle track with psychedelic horn sounds. An easy soft melody that's inspiring

in a great harmony that evolves, combines with his unique baseline. "Simple" has a high

"trance" feeling, emotional but deep.

"The Beauty of Noise" is more sturdy in it's intro and also in his baseline. It's less melodic

and imo more psychedelic. It has this fairy tale atmosphere. This track is one of my

favorites. Well done!

"Metasynth Remix" intro is more humble and progressive minded. Rather calm sounds but it does

not take long before a good baseline kicks in. The atmosphere stays the same but here Shiva

chandra creates a very psychedelic warm melody that travels really nice. I love it.

Trippy pauses and trance announcements make this track perfect. Again this track is one of my

favorites. I've played it like a 100 times I guess as a matter of speech :)

"Your Mind" enters a bit minimal but has a good drive. All stays very humble and half way the

track a very simple but very simple melody comes along. I laughed out loud when I heard this

for the first time, thinking what is this?? But to be honest it's very funny and I give him

credit for this. It's not my favorite part at all but it does not spoil the album or the track.

"Heavy Touristic" (Featuring – DJ Magical) is strong. Tuff baseline and mature sounds. It's

more psychedelic compared to the previous tracks cause of the use of tiny/smaller and a bit

more creepy sounds. Halfway the track it goes into a totally different direction with a more

trance/house pattern which is pretty ok but mediocre to my ears. But still a very trippy

track.

"The Face" again (Featuring – DJ Magical) has a more raw tinted drive/atmosphere. The track

is more repetitive but is good. This is not happy or funny but creative and is a value to the

variation of the entire album.

"The Last Planet" blasts off with a baseline that pounds pretty hard. This is Shiva Chandra

in it's entire form as we used to know in earlier times. I like the kick a lot. Exercising on

this track would be great. It's very motivating. Just like in the third track Shiva chandra

manages to create a good warm psychedelic melody that caresses my ear. The undertone sounds

and pauses create again that concept feeling and have a theatrical atmosphere. Great track!

"Music Therapy" takes off very minimal. This is the most calm track off the album

but again it feels very good and like I said before it makes it all variated.

It looks like we are slowing down and easing the atmosphere.

"Sometimes Different" is indeed something different. It seems you can divide this track in

seperant parts. It start very minimal in baseline and melody. Trippy sounds that are knowable

typical minimal are extant. Softly the track get a more house/clubby undertone for a moment.

And it ends in a more progressive way. The contrast is little. Maybe I'm hearing to much but

I think it's good/well done. And I'm glad it's not an ambient track.

Conclusion: A good psy album, worth the money!

Discogs: http://www.discogs.c...release/3598229

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.c.../spn1cd046.html

ps:

Sorry for the left outlined text but I always write in notepad and when I copy paste this is the result,

and I'm to lazy to fix it, it's a luxury problem for you guys :P , hope you enjoyed it :)

2 tracks standout here - Music therapy and Your mind both high on the psyche IMO. Treads a very fine line between psy and the other slightly commercial genres of electronic music but does not loose its essence nor does it sound cheezy. A very different approach from a goa veteran which might not appeal to the purists but if you look behind the veil of your commercial prejudice you will see an album that can set a dancefloor rocking for fans of both housy electronica and progressive psychedelic alike while opening up a new genre altogether for the openminded psy folk . psyhouse

Shiva Chandra is trying to appeal a wider audience that is for sure, but certain solutions tend to be a bit too much. Still someone might discover this artist with this sound and like it! I have heard psyhouse experiment before, let's see if they are more successful than others in doing it.

It certainly is less appealing for the psytrance world though but that is maybe what they were trying to achieve.

Yes that's true it's exactly iike you said exotic, maybe that's why i didn't get into it at first listen ... it could grow on me, hopefully !! :)

That's possible, the first two times I wasn't that positive about the album like I reviewed it, after 5 times it started growing,

10 times and the review above was written.

Shiva Chandra is trying to appeal a wider audience that is for sure, but certain solutions tend to be a bit too much. Still someone might discover this artist with this sound and like it! I have heard psyhouse experiment before, let's see if they are more successful than others in doing it.

It certainly is less appealing for the psytrance world though but that is maybe what they were trying to achieve.

Good thinking,

Indeed maybe that is what they are trying to achieve, and if so Shiva Chandra did it right imo.

Remember Infected mushroom -_-

He, how should I put, manged to draw a certain line/border and still keep a high procent of his original pattern.

You should hear the latest Reefer decree, that's imo totally out off line from the perspective off a psychedelic listener.

They tried the same thing as Shiva chandra and it sounds imo not good.

Even for more commercial music it lacks originality to my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

i've listened to the whole album few weeks ago at a friends' house and i really liked almost every track. have to admit that i wasn't clean, so my hearing was maybe biased, but since i'm a bit of a shiva chandra fanboy i'm pretty sure that i'll like this album even stonecold sober. what i like is - of course - his cracking basslines and these specific sound patterns that appear in a lot of his tracks. also his orchestral tracks make me having lots of fun, even if they are on the cheesier side of chandra, like essence, return to atlantis and here the last planet (this one's really GREAT!!). but still have to listen to it more often, or waiting till i can afford it.

besides, i don't see the attempt to appeal for a wider audience, only because of the shift to more proggy-clubby-housy music. his music is distinct from the first album, you can hear his style until now, so i think he's more making the music that he really likes to do and trying to break some borders than thinking of how to appeal to certain listeners.