Suomisaundi.

exotic

Anybody else dig this subgenre ? i like the approach finns have to psychedelic ,really funky and original.

What/when was the exact origin of suomi ? was it texas faggot ? and technically speaking , what exactly is it that do they do different compared to the other psy artists ?

Im really stoked about Salakavala's new album "Unusual conditions"

http://soundcloud.com/salakavala

Would like to hear about other artists who have a maximal psy sound without losing that trademark suomi signature .

love it, is up there just below goa!

can't go wrong with the 6 dimension soundz crue, all artists on that label are amazing, and take it to the limit

faggots of course, who definatley up there with the pioneers.

think we need one of you crazy fins to help with who was the first.

seemed to explode all at once

I remember a while ago Taika Kim posted a masters thesis written by one of his fellow countrymen about the origins and musical structure of finnish psytrance, or 'suomisaundi'. If you do some digging in the general psytrance forum part I'm sure you can find it! If you don't however, I've got it on my pc so if you pm me your email I'll mail it to you :D

Pm sent !! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1bkyPvxuc

this is the sort of sound im after , on the heavy side but not losing that suomi charm . would be even better without the vocals though. never heard of this artist before , i was doing some digging on youtube and stumbled on this . so im glad ive started this thread im sure there is a lot more to discover .

Pm sent !! :)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1bkyPvxuc

this is the sort of sound im after , on the heavy side but not losing that suomi charm . would be even better without the vocals though. never heard of this artist before , i was doing some digging on youtube and stumbled on this . so im glad ive started this thread im sure there is a lot more to discover .

this track is great! and don't remember it, love these guys, and will be up there with pioneering this genre, but not your typical suomi sound from most artist's, at least not this track.

iron sun was on the money with kim's article, didn't finish it and to would like to find where it's at in genreal (saving searching i having a lazy day)

he is an amazing suomi artist with a unique sound, and worth exploring all his works if you not familiar with it.

Taika kim is good, I don't know much about suomi but I've seen this guy live and it was very good.

I notice that suomi artist are very talented but It's often to overloaded and chaotic for me.

For instance Derango - tumult (what is said to be "the" suomi album, correct me If I'm wrong)

is an album that I have listened > 5 times and I don't manage it to end it.

It's to much, I'm such a pussy :D

I would love to hear some suomi that's not that overloaded and chaotic cause the atmosphere is always super...

Krumelur is also suomi (I think) and those guys I can handle. I love the psychedelic level and atmosphere = 10/10

Taika kim is good, I don't know much about suomi but I've seen this guy live and it was very good.

I notice that suomi artist are very talented but It's often to overloaded and chaotic for me.

For instance Derango - tumult (what is said to be "the" suomi album, correct me If I'm wrong)

is an album that I have listened > 5 times and I don't manage it to end it.

It's to much, I'm such a pussy :D

I would love to hear some suomi that's not that overloaded and chaotic cause the atmosphere is always super...

Krumelur is also suomi (I think) and those guys I can handle. I love the psychedelic level and atmosphere = 10/10

Both Derango and Krumelur are forest not suomi. :P

There are some tracks that combine both styles (like the Schizm compilation), but most of them are very different.

Suomi is this:

some of the founders/pioneers of the Finnish sound aka Suomisoundi are actually Australian; examples:

Shaolin Wooden Men - Shaolin Wooden Men (1994) (Ollie Olsen)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_dekMu6BZs

Psyko Disko - Psycho Disco (1996)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXAgkPMiZ5w

Another pioneering group that should be mentioned is Squaremeat considing of both Francoise Faggott and Pepe Kosminen (Suomi legends)

First album release: Squarebeat

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg-mV080wsM

Thanx Ormion, I don't know much about Suomi as you see :) ,

Although I've seen/red people calling Derango suomi but then again they could be mistaken or I red it wrong...

I'm always open for new music but the youtube clip. That's too noisy and nervous for my taste.

It seems impossible for me to sit down, listen to this with headphones, relaxed in front of my tv...

Anything less overloaded? Or are noisy,overloaded and nervous the main elements of suomi :D

If so, then I already had a close idea what suomi is...

edit: Psyko Disko is suomi? I experience that as very good melodic goatrance :D

edit: Psyko Disko is suomi? I experience that as very good melodic goatrance :D

Well it's definitely a pre-courser if you will, if you listen to their album (same goes to Shaolin Wooden Men) and know your Suomisoundi you can hear the sonic link :P

Well it's definitely a pre-courser if you will, if you listen to their album (same goes to Shaolin Wooden Men) and know your Suomisoundi you can hear the sonic link :P

I was thinking the same thing when you posted it.

They probably didn't call it suomi back then but I know psyko disko pretty well

I think your link is more then accurate...

Suomi producers are probably big fans of psyko disko was the first thing that came up in my mind...

Yeah I don't know what they them-self called it back then, my old raver-friend Karsten ("known" for inventing obscure sub-genre names) would probably have called it nut-house goa... but I guess it was just experimental goa/trance?! Just different from the norm in any case ;) I remember the first time I heard Shaolin Wooden Men - Remember The Slime when I got Pulse 5... I was blown away!

I think today suomi is one of the most experimental psytrance sounds which would also explain the possible link to the australian wacko goa that was released under psy-harmonics. Other good suomi artists are: lemon slide, pavel svimba, outolintu, puoskari, exuus, EvsY, luomuhappo, aavepyora, etc...

Btw: derango ain't forest, forest is derango!

I think today suomi is one of the most experimental psytrance sounds which would also explain the possible link to the australian wacko goa that was released under psy-harmonics. Other good suomi artists are: lemon slide, pavel svimba, outolintu, puoskari, exuus, EvsY, luomuhappo, aavepyora, etc...

yes and yes!

I've wondered why like all artists from here make suomisaundi? It's very specific sound that's to a degree self-ironic yet at best, visionary psytrance. As a some sort of a bedroom producer, I've also come to notice it just happens almost unintentionally to add weird samples and take quirky direction with the music.

• Like 1

Well after meeting quite a few Finish people it does not surprise me that much (meant in a good way). At least I have gotten the feeling of a tendency not to follow the norm which is quite deeply rooted in the culture (or something like that?!), or said in another way; things are done quite different from the European/continental norm, which I find refreshing :)

yea all very good !! love EvsY , i really like Virtuusi di quosi ? , that is the kind of heavy sound im talking about yet keeping it very original . I wish they come out with an album soon. awesome duo IMO

yea all very good !! love EvsY , i really like Virtuusi di quosi ? , that is the kind of heavy sound im talking about yet keeping it very original . I wish they come out with an album soon. awesome duo IMO

that album really surprised me, it's one of their best!

Well after meeting quite a few Finish people it does not surprise me that much (meant in a good way). At least I have gotten the feeling of a tendency not to follow the norm which is quite deeply rooted in the culture (or something like that?!), or said in another way; things are done quite different from the European/continental norm, which I find refreshing :)

u got it!, maybe that's why we aussies, are so strongly afiliated with this sound also!

we along with you crazy bastad fins, indeed like to go in a different direction, and against what everyone else is doing, strong sign of independence as a country, reflecting our uniqueness, ohh na fuck it we just fucking nutters!............................ to nutty goa