5. Dusty Groove
EGORYTHMIA

6. Shuttle
SIDEFORM

7. Flashlight
DOUBLE CLICK AND NUMB

8. Ein Tag in Hamburg
HANZO AND CLUFE

9. Your Eyes (Time in Motion and Flexus rmx)
SVEN SNUG

10. Messed Up (Haldolium rmx)
NOK

Sunday is typically a day of rest so I thought it would be apropos for me to take a look at the 2nd installment of the Sunday series by Blue Tunes Recordings. Add to the fact that it was compiled by the Creator and I might not even have to go to church today. As is the case these days you have a mix of savvy veterans and some fairly new names to discover.

Summer Good-Bye- Osher Swissa really impressed me with his change in style when he released the 2011 progressive smash Twilight (oh, the irony). The opener is rather harmless with none of the eye opening tricks that made me smile with his debut. It's as if Blue Tunes said "We have a formula here hippie, so take your good time funky music elsewhere if you can't play ball."

Guess he played ball.

Ilite- After being part of the group that ran full-on into the ground Oshri Krispin (Indra) jumped on the progressive bandwagon faster than you can say cut and paste and has thrown out a bunch of EP's to get a lay of the land. Same style as the previous track with extended percussive warblings. The break though is deep and takes its time careful not to rush things. Better, but room for improvement.

Desire (Osher Remix)- Osher again with a remix that may have the execs at the label a little sore. This is the wide open melodic stuff I expect from him. Oscillating synth waves and a very expansive break make this a dreamy floating track. There's still some time where the bass runs a little long without company, but that's a minor complaint.

Dimension- These two artists need no introduction with Zyce showing up seemingly everywhere. I think he was at my kid's 3rd birthday party handing out EP's. They have crafted too many tracks to count and the vast majority of them have been quite good. Like the others before it, it leans toward the lighter side of progressive perfectly content to let the bass go as the effects unfold. It's hard to be upset at this style as it permits the mind to drift if at times feeling a tad empty. But if you give it a chance you'll hear quiet melodies filling the gaps as it all comes together. Best I've ever heard? Of course not, but competent.

Dusty Groove- Boban Lazovski has been riding the EP and remix train for over 4 years and has produced great results for the most part. This one is even more wide open with an echoing sample that screams eternity. It's nicely cold with echoing effects clanging against a galloping bass line. Dark and matrix-y I like that it lets me render my own dream.

Shuttle- Time for some Balkan brilliance! To date I have never heard a bad track from this duo and they keep it that way with this smooth criminal. Bounce is there and spaces are filled with melody hits and sounds on delay that give it some lush appeal. It's got a soft touch as they experiment with some ryhthms in the break and gets all shimmery and euphoric at the end. Congratulations, you are my favorite of the compilation.

Flashlight-

pyzDTVh.png

This is Patrick Star. He's an idiot.

How the f*ck did this make the cut? Was the compilation building too much momentum and getting real good that it scared you? Annoying sample manipulation the whole way through made the guy who eats his belly button lint walk away from your track. Somehow I made it to the break and thought the worst was behind me, but it turns out I was in a cul de sac so...yeah no escape.

Ein Tag In Hamburg- Here are two more projects I'm unfamiliar with and they have the luck to follow what was one of the worst tracks I've listened to in a long time. So, nowhere to go but up correct? And they do go up with a melody that reminds me of Sixteen Candles with its sound. Remember when Jake pulled up to the church and was leaning on his cherry red Porsche waiting for Samantha? You don't know what I'm talking about do you? It was a movie in the 80's ask your parents.

M7FFQ3w.gif

"Open the door."
"No way Jose! You punch my face!"
"You grabbed my nuts."
"That you?"
"Yeah. Than me."

Dude's a carpenter now doesn't even act anymore. The Jesus references just keep coming.

Your Eyes (Time In Motion & Flexus Remix)- Flexus recently released the uber soft The Beginning EP and Time in Motion has quickly gained my attention with his vast soundscapes. I don't know who Sven Snug is and haven't heard the original track, but damnit if that lead melody doesn't sound familiar. More soft melodies are present, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Far from terrible, but it seems as if the knockout blow from Flashlight might be too much to recover from.

qDTxPWN.gif

"Quick what's your name?"
"Thursday."

Oh boy.

Messed Up (Haldolium Remix)- Last track and while I've never been a fan of Haldolium's tunes, I don't hate them either. True to form this has a light touch like all the other tracks, but there is something about it that conveys a bad ass attitude. There isn't a lot here, but what they do give you...I dunno, something about it that I like.

You've got a pretty good progressive trance compilation with an average opener that sees the tracks getting better and better until the head on collision that was flashlight. But like a trooper it picked itself up and dusted itself off to finish fairly strongly. The music is gentle in style as if afraid to wake up your parents and probably good for winding down. While not the best comp out there you could do worse.

"Patrick! Patrick come back! I'm done, I'm not gonna play it again, I promise!"

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goa Store

Mdk

• 5 months later...

Tracks 3 to 6 are quite good but the rest is a bit weak by Blue Tunes standards. So an quality middle section, but a weak start and finish. The flashlight track is indeed a bit of a dud.

Pedro