1. Return To Yourself
2. Ethereal Resonator
3. Cognitive Disorder
4. Custodian
5. Galactic Hunt Part II
6. Abduction Phenomena
7. Alien Brain Train
8. Twin Sister

Some run just for fun. Whatever. Those people are crazy. Even in my twenties when I was a sprinter it wasn't cause it was fun. It was because I wanted to beat you. Because I wanted you to think you had a shot at beating me only to watch your face fall when I kicked in that extra gear. Or because in my thirties I wanted to make the crowd do a double take because there was no way that I should've been able to reach that long frisbee throw. Dickish I know.

wlxBUvs.gif

I don't have to be the fastest Robin. Just faster than you.

But for fun?

Nope. Don't get it. You know who gets it? Cronomi. This label while not as prolific as Suntrip has released some absolute crackers in the genre. The Portal by Portamento and the Erta Ale compilation were outstanding. So here they go again with a limited release by M-Run ( Mario Matakovich) who only released two tracks (Goat Man and Kapala) and that was on Erta Ale. Obviously from the less is more school, he understands you give the public a taste so that they will keep coming back for more.

Got news for you. You make music like this I will be at your doorstep.

Return To Yourself- "These are the victims of psychotic behavior."

That kick makes me want to hit the heavy bag. Not you ma'am.

Z1ZeucW.jpg

Ok, you. It's got some funky disco swagger that is infectious. What I really like is that the melodies are not the usual twisting spirals, but something wholly original. Take the chopped up bit...genius. There are plenty of twists to keep things fresher than cucumbers in my crisper. Even the cuckoo sample brings the tribal funk. How the f*ck did you work that in there? Outstanding. And that was just a taste.

Ethereal Resonator- Now you may be asking yourself how do you follow that up and the answer is with more funky rhythms and ripping leads. Attitude heavy goa trance with continued evolution that never seems to break stride. It's like the master of disguise up in here. Funky, melodic, and not afraid to challenge you in the slightest.

Cognitive Disorder-

yoNXZTy.gif

Crazy motherf*cker.

Has he even broken 140 bpm's yet? More funkadelia rolls over you in waves and I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open. The sample is annoying, but only because it's so long otherwise it worked for me. Do you think he knew because he came out of it swinging like a black chick after you called her a bitch.

TQKZRib.gif

"Holy sh*t, white people hide! The hulk is loose!"

Custodian- It's outer space goa with a bouncy vibe and a wicked lead melody. Face meet huge sh*t eating grin. Edgy sounds with layers that seem too good to be true and I'm only 4 minutes in! Oh...can I get a little soul clap? This is another awesome piece of music that throws multiple punch combinations. Over here being a custodian, while honest hard work, isn't the most glamorous mode d'emploi. But if it were like this...

Galactic Hunt Part II- Where was the first part? This is 9 and a half minutes of pure madness. The middle is the calmest portion of this CD and I guess the break, but it still doesn't stop. He lets it run to allow you to get caught up. When he finally gets to the break it's alien and liquid at the same time. Part Syb Unity Nettwerk and part Merr0w.

Abduction Phenomena- 1o minutes. 10 minutes of joy. He lays down a rhythm and syncs the bass with rapid fire melodies and eerie effects. It has some old school feel as well as some slight nitzho appeal. There are just so many changes that it's impossible to get bored with this.

Alien Brain Train- Love the way he offers numerous melodic "snippets" in layers with this one. There is a lot going on and it's full of motion. Maybe this is what it's like running through space like that guy in the funny underpants on the cover. The undercurrent of...unease is palpable and at the same time it's very twirl friendly. What a journey!

4nyghU5.jpg

Yeah that happened when I hit play...

Twin Sister- With an industrial opening and some more heavy percussive bass it doesn't even feel like goa trance until he slides those melodies in you like a suede condom. Alien vocalizations and cauldrons a bubbling make me hug the blanket a little tighter and the little melody at 4 minutes brings it all together. Power, atmosphere...this is music to soothe the savage beast. Wait...soothing is not the right word. Poking with a sharp stick, yeah that's it.

PaAByav.gif

"Hey! Hey Frosted Flakes! Quit making fun of the Asians! Hate that tiger."

I wanna have sex with this CD. Straight up sweaty monkey love with all the dirty talk. Is that wrong? Do I now have to register as a sex offender.

Worth it. (Psssttt...no it's not.)

For me this is so mind blowingly different than anything else out there. Huge beats remind you that it's cool to dance and melodies that just don't scramble up and down the scale. It can be rough like Sky Input and it's always in your face. He takes goa to a place it hasn't gone exploring all the dirty areas goa trance producers are won't to travel. I recently reviewed the stellar Mindsphere Patience For Heaven calling it one of the best new school releases ever. I stand by that.

Good thing there is always room for great music at the top. This is right up there but for different reasons. Where PFH was lush and beautiful storytelling on a grand scale this is the most psychedelic goa trance experience I have ever had. Highly evolving originality throughout the whole album. The tracks are long and chock full of everything you could want in goa trance. M-Run, Mindsphere, E-Mantra, Artifact303, Portamento, Crossing Mind, Artha, Afgin, Sky Technology, Somnesia, Space Elves...it's good to like goa trance these days.

Cronomi Web Shop

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

The new M-Run is exactly my taste! I've forgotten how to put great music in words a long time ago, so I'm gonna give it short: this is the Crownomi of the label. ;) I've not heard anything like this before, it's a new path for goa. Most recommended.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mrun and cronomi. I absolutely adore and love your musical talent, don't think otherwise.

But..

Where was colin? I'm sorry but this has been a huge problem for me ever since the release. Where was the icing on the cake? Sure the cake is tasty and all, but it lacks that top flavour that makes it spark. It's not here. No matter how amazing you are at writing music, if you are not a masterer with many, many albums under you, it just won't be as good. This mastering is not bad, but it's also flat. The explosive colourfullness, deepness and richness of Erta Alé are gone. You traded a little bit of money for mastering that won't survive through the ages. You have it all there except.. that. The highs and lows just merge with so much of the mids. And the mids are all on the same level no matter.

I'll buy an OOOD master version for 50 euros. Digital only, even.

Mrun and cronomi. I absolutely adore and love your musical talent, don't think otherwise.

But..

Where was colin? I'm sorry but this has been a huge problem for me ever since the release. Where was the icing on the cake? Sure the cake is tasty and all, but it lacks that top flavour that makes it spark. It's not here. No matter how amazing you are at writing music, if you are not a masterer with many, many albums under you, it just won't be as good. This mastering is not bad, but it's also flat. The dynamics of Erta Alé are gone. You traded a little bit of money for mastering that won't survive through the ages. You have it all there except.. that. The highs and lows just merge with so much of the mids. And the mids are all on the same level no matter.

I'll buy an OOOD master version for 50 euros. Digital only, even.

I'm... baffled, yet this is another common example of why people nowadays don't understand what mastering is all about. No offence, but I don't think your ears correspond with what you write. If you would know what dynamics is you wouldn't say something like that.

I'm... baffled, yet this is another common example of why people nowadays don't understand what mastering is all about. No offence, but I don't think your ears correspond with what you write. If you would know what dynamics is you wouldn't say something like that.

My ears are fine. Just listen to Erta Ale and come back to this. The difference is night and day. Surely there's a matter of opinion, too, but if you wish to tell me Erta Ale and this have no difference? Hah.

But if you were referring to technical slumber of music.. you got me there. I go by what I hear, thus I try my best to use wording that connotates with that. Whatever the case is, this could sound much better - and it did, on Erta Alé.

I did forget to mention some tracks sound better than others but overall it's just not up to par. I'll dwelve into the music itself on a later date with a review.

My ears are fine. Just listen to Erta Ale and come back to this. The difference is night and day. Surely there's a matter of opinion, too, but if you wish to tell me Erta Ale and this have no difference? Hah.

But if you were referring to technical slumber of music.. you got me there. I go by what I hear, thus I try my best to use wording that connotates with that. Whatever the case is, this could sound much better - and it did, on Erta Alé.

I did forget to mention some tracks sound better than others but overall it's just not up to par. I'll dwelve into the music itself on a later date with a review.

There's no personal definition of dynamics, you can't debate that. I don't think you have a clue. Not that I'm saying that you should, but stating that over-compressed albums are 'really dynamic' is like saying the Eiffel Tower is in Burkina Faso.

I have some of the unmastered tracks of Erta Alé, and the difference is huge (for example, one track has been reduced in the dynamic range with 8db!). Really, put those tracks through a loudness meter and please come again with your results. You don't need the unmastered versions, if you would actually listen and understand what's going on (again, this is not a personal attack, it's just not the easiest matter in the world of audio) you would agree. Check the soundclouds of some artists, and notice the difference. I'm not talking about EQ'ing or whatnot, just dynamics - the most important thing in music regarding the combination of technique and creativity.

You hung up on it, I'm using the word as an explonatory term to express a feeling, I guess?

How else am I to say this one sounds flat and that one sounds, well, more detailed, richer, colourful, fun, smooth? Oh, I guess I can use those too.

Excuse my poor choice of words.

Well, if that's your thing, so be it. But don't call it dynamic. Dynamic is life, dynamic is softness and impact - imagine if somebody is YELLING WITH EVERYTHING HE SAYS, IN THE SAME MONOTONE VOICE. YOU DON'T HAVE IMPACT NO MORE. YOU DON'T HAVE LOUD PARTS NO MORE. YOU DON'T HAVE NO SPOTS TO REST. Just imagine that. Dynamics is about going up and down - you can't have that if everything is highly compressed and all the parts sound as loud as anywhere else.

I really can't understand that you can't be pro for that.. Listen to classical music, and imagine a crescendo is as loud as a climax.

Luckily, there are some things changing in the audio world, people who are fed up with that (in broadcast, music, ..). I'd take a look here: http://www.stereophile.com/content/winning-loudness-wars. I can give you tons of more links if you like, but if you like your music squashed and/or distorted then never mind. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Only just recently got this album and it is like a breath of fresh air. Such a unique kind of funky style of neo goa..

Reminds me a little of old Hux Flux for some reason. Just bouncy and quirky, psychedelic in that same style, really really good work! :)

Hope to hear more along these lines if anyone can recommend similar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing album with lots of old school vibes - love it!

My favourites are Return to Yourself, Ethereal Resonator and Alien Brain Train but the rest is very nice, too!

If you don't have, go and buy it from Cronomi webshop, you won't regret :-)!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...