LIVE vs LIVE

Procyon

LIVE or NOT?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What is a LIVE act according to your understanding?

• During the set, the artist push buttons to play pre-recorded - known or not - sequences.
    • During the set, the artist plays physical instruments: drums, guitars, bass, gongos, etc...
    • LIVE in psy is different from LIVE as in rock concerts. LIVE is just the artist IN PERSON at the party.
    • DJs are not LIVE acts, for they only push buttons and make sound distortions.
    • DJs are LIVE acts, pushing buttons and distorting sounds.
    • DJs are LIVE, they're IN PERSON on the stage.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neurogen

As the creator of this poll, I ask you to besides emitting your point of view, you do vote. So, we can have a clear view on the matter. Will you?

the choices you made confuse me. Im not sure what to vote, tbh.

None of the choices seem to fit.

But regardless, I did in fact vote. Check again.

Guest neurogen

ok this discussion bores me.

I will end it by stating once again my simple opinion.

LIVE: tweaking, sequencing, muting/unmuting, looping, etc.

NOT LIVE: presses play on dat/cd/whatever the source

exactly.

so long live the masters who actually do this.

Erez, Lestat, Simon, just to name my favs

Look, this is gonna seem like I'm picking on you; honestly I'm not, but I think you're missing a distinction between music you enjoy, and a good live performance. The times when I've stood behind Cedric (Lestat) and watched what he's doing when he's on stage - he hasn't been interacting with the music in any way. It was a little while ago I saw him last, and maybe he's stepped things up a gear in the last few years, but although he'd done some work before the festival we both played at (chopping a few of the tracks around a bit and adding some extra sounds as audio clips to a 1-hour arrangement he'd prepared beforehand) there was no element of live performance there except his holding a MIDI keyboard over his head (that he'd borrowed from us) and pretending to play it. It wasn't even plugged in to his computer.

He's a charming man and a great entertainer (if a little light-fingered...), and he put a huge amount of energy into his performance, and many people danced and enjoyed it, and the music was driving and powerful and well-produced, but 'live' it wasn't.

Guest neurogen

Look, this is gonna seem like I'm picking on you; honestly I'm not, but I think you're missing a distinction between music you enjoy, and a good live performance. The times when I've stood behind Cedric (Lestat) and watched what he's doing when he's on stage - he hasn't been interacting with the music in any way. It was a little while ago I saw him last, and maybe he's stepped things up a gear in the last few years, but although he'd done some work before the festival we both played at (chopping a few of the tracks around a bit and adding some extra sounds as audio clips to a 1-hour arrangement he'd prepared beforehand) there was no element of live performance there except his holding a MIDI keyboard over his head (that he'd borrowed from us) and pretending to play it. It wasn't even plugged in to his computer.

He's a charming man and a great entertainer (if a little light-fingered...), and he put a huge amount of energy into his performance, and many people danced and enjoyed it, and the music was driving and powerful and well-produced, but 'live' it wasn't.

Im sorry you think of Talamasca this way. Maybe the show you both were on, he didnt care, but this is not what Ive seen.

Ive seen him live, and at that time he played keys live, he did tweaking live, and he was dancing his ass off doing it.

I dont understand what your trying to say.

What ive said in this topic, is that live means exactly that. And the opposite is what AP does.

Talamasca does his thing on stage, and it envolves him actually playing melodies live and tweaking the sounds live. Thus creating something unique.

Once again, I really dont know what ur trying to say. Its not like I am misinformed or that I am disagreeing with you.

I agree with everything you say, except that I have a different experience with him, since i saw him do stuff live, So im a bit clueless regarding your point and why your are pointing your posts at me.

I'm not pointing my posts at you, but I do have a special interest in live performance and your posts just happen to be the ones that stand out to me as deserving of a response.

When you saw Talamasca play live, were you standing behind him watching what was going on, as I did? Did you talk to him before his set about how he performs?

How I see the live thingy - you tweak sounds, track architecture on the fly and dont rely solely on pre-recorded sequences and track arrangements, you add something different to each of your live appearances/sets, because you dont pre-arrange everything before you start to play, you leave some room for creativity and alteration of sounds making your live sound richer, fuller and more unique, more personal!

Talking about Milli Vanilli.....

we all hit play.

its no secret. when it comes to “live” performance of EDM… that’s about the most it seems you can do anyway. It’s not about performance art, its not about talent either (really its not) In fact, let me do you and the rest of the EDM world button pushers who fuckin hate me for telling you how it is, a favor and let you all know how it is.

I think given about 1 hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of ableton and music tech in general could DO what im doing at a deadmau5 concert. Just like i think ANY DJ in the WORLD who can match a beat can do what “ANYONE else” (not going to mention any names) is doing on their EDM stages too. have a look, then let me explain:

okay, so heres me, in a big silly mousehead.. twiddlin a knob or somethin… okay so heres how it works…. Somewhere in that mess is a computer, running ableton live… and its spewing out premixed (to a degree) stems of my original producitons, and then a SMPTE feed to front of house (so tell the light / video systems) where im at in the performance… so that all the visuals line up nicely and all the light cues are on and stuff. Now, while thats all goin on… theres a good chunk of Midi data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton… which i can tweak *live* and whatnot… but doesnt give me alot of “lookit me im jimi hendrix check out this solo” stuff, because im constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE. Its a super redundant system, and more importantly its reliable as FUCK! And obviously, ive done the show a couple hundred times easily by now, so the focus over the past few runs with the “cube show” has been more revolved around adding new audio / visual content to keep it current.

so thats my “live” show. and thats as “live” as i can comfortably get it (for now anyway) of course itll evolve, and change up, but im sure a few key principles will always remain the same.

Im just so sick of hearing the “NO!!! IM NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE 6 TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS” like… honestly. who gives a fuck? i dont have any shame in admitting that for “unhooked” sets.. i just roll up with a laptop and a midi controller and “select” tracks n hit a spacebar. ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. “beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3, so dont give me that argument please.

my “skills” and other PRODUCERS skills shine where it needs to shine… in the goddamned studio, and on the fucking releases. thats what counts… because this whole big “edm” is taking over fad, im not going to let it go thinking that people assume theres a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. becausje none of the “top dj’s in the world” to my knowledge have. myself included.

you know what makes the EDM show the crazy amazing show that it is? you guys do, the fans, the people who came to appreciate the music, the lights, all the other people who came, we just facilitate the means and the pretty lights and the draw of more awesome people like you by our studio productions. which is exactly what it is. But to stand up and say youre doing something special outside of a studio environment, when youre not, just plain fuckin annoys me.

Taken from http://deadmau5.tumb...we-all-hit-play

This made quite a storm a few months ago.

That I quote him does not mean I do agree with the post........

Wow, wow, wow,

Was there someone thinking psynews isn't alive that much,

We should advertise :D , or not? :D

Shit happens, so does reality, move on,

maybe clean up this thread...

My 2 cents about playing live...

It's seems impossible to play Goa live,

Some artist create trance that can be done live, mostly 'one layer' trance.

I've seen rastaliens live and the way they shifted their sound was amazing.

I knew all their tracks by head and the sounds that they created

were totally different in pattern (not choise) but then again

even they could have pre-recorded that.

You can play live at home, be very original, totally different then your original tracks,

and still only press that play button when you are actual on stage.

I've also seen Talamasca live and that wasn't live at all...

But he had a good time, and so had the crowd...

But then again it shifts, sometimes Talamasca will play live and sometimes he doesn't,

depending indeed on the equipment they've got carried with them...

If an artist is playing only his music, and adds some effects,

it's ok to say 'live' on the flyer even if it doesn't,

90% of the party people don't even notice,

so I don't mind...

They are still people, and If I was an artist, and I could play live,

but have a huge headache that 'play' button would become

very seductive. Isn't that a bit normal?

You can't change the flyer/line up once it's printed...

I would prefer a play button instead of a cancelled button :)

But I understand the frustration, the money variable and the debate...

(Hi, in case some of you wonder where some posts went, I did a cleanup of the stuff that happened here, just that you know.)

Edited by RTP
thread cleanup

• 3 months later...