Best country in Goa/Psy history (3 votes)

Ormion

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which country had/has the best artists

1. UK (i don't think this one needs an explanation; in fact most good music from any genre i like comes from the uk)

2. Sweden (logic bomb, s-range, hux flux, filteria, human blue, ...)

3. Germany (x-dream, tim schuldt, electric universe, protonica, MOS, ...)

isreal of course also has lots of great artists, but as it's also the epicentre of shitty, commercial and uninspired me-too psy, i just couldn't bring myself to include them on the list.

At the same lever are Uk, Israel and Germany. UK delivers most good stuff I think, Simon and Martin are enough for an explataion, Germany has Boris Blenn and other bands like S.U.N. project, Israel has a lot of emotional stuff, Astral Projection, MFG, Oforia and many more.

1. UK (i don't think this one needs an explanation; in fact most good music from any genre i like comes from the uk)

Yeah, if you expanded the question to electronic music in general I think it would be very hard to make a case against the UK producing the most great artists. They've had so many pioneers in so many different genres.

Its a pity that the roots of Goa/ psytrance lie in India and there just about 10 odd active artists making music here. I shouldnt be the one to talk since i dont fall in that category but still its kind of strange.

• 2 weeks later...

If we count the population as a factor in this rating my vote definatly goes to Sweden:). Sweden are soon 10 millions and all these great artists are coming from "the land of north"... Atmos, Son Kite, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Matenda, Human Blue, Necton, S-range, Hux-Flux, Logic Bomb, Artax, Gaudium, Battle of the future Buddhas, Ka-sol, Ethereal, Filteria, Ypsilon 5, Miranda, Subcouds, Sienis, Procs, Derango... And on the chilling side CBL, Solar Fields, Healer... Do I have to say more?:)

Guest neurogen

If we count the population as a factor in this rating my vote definatly goes to Sweden:). Sweden are soon 10 millions and all these great artists are coming from "the land of north"... Atmos, Son Kite, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Matenda, Human Blue, Necton, S-range, Hux-Flux, Logic Bomb, Artax, Gaudium, Battle of the future Buddhas, Ka-sol, Ethereal, Filteria, Ypsilon 5, Miranda, Subcouds, Sienis, Procs, Derango... And on the chilling side CBL, Solar Fields, Healer... Do I have to say more? :)

Posted Image

Im not a pro in this regard, but if Id have to say quality over quantity then its definitely Italy :D

I know of only 2 acts, Etnica's team and Lotus Omega team and we all know that Etnica were masters of early psytrance and Lotus Omega were really creative with their sounds, let alone their union that led to Crop Circles, another psychedelic trance legend act.

Israel on the other hand have been the most productive with lots of great artists and releases and also with many crap artists and crap releases too.

Germany, well I think they were all about quality, X-Dream, MidiMiliz/Spirallianz...

France was good also, UK too.

I named those that had either super quality acts in large numbers or that defined the genre at some point that I know of :D!

• 7 years later...

Sweden, Israel, UK, would be the countries from which I have listened to the most artists from, and as a bonus I pick Italy. I only know about Etnica/Pleiadians/Crop Circles from Italy. But they sure made an impact, which is still evident among a lot of the next-gen goa artists. There is of course a bias since I'm from one of the countries I voted for. So I was most likely exposed to a larger degree to the domestic artists and labels here.

There was of course good stuff from many more countries, and I definitely think that Germany, France, Japan and Greece deserves some honorary mention as well. Not every country flooded the market with hot releases, but I think each made a lasting contribution in their own unique way.

I'm in for Russia, Israel & Sweden. For Russia i'm lumping all the Eastern Europeans in. I know they might not like it but it makes it easier than other. Lunar Dawn, Imba, Nostromosis, Median Project, Fiery Dawn, Centavra Project (Who I just Realized I've been spelling wrong for years), Goasia, Alienapa, Psy-H Project, Omnivox, Omneon, Liquid Flow, Katedra, Artifact303.

Sorry for calling you all Russians, but shit, Eastern Europe has it going on.

18 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

I'm in for Russia, Israel & Sweden. For Russia i'm lumping all the Eastern Europeans in. I know they might not like it but it makes it easier than other. Lunar Dawn, Imba, Nostromosis, Median Project, Fiery Dawn, Centavra Project (Who I just Realized I've been spelling wrong for years), Goasia, Alienapa, Psy-H Project, Omnivox, Omneon, Liquid Flow, Katedra, Artifact303.

Sorry for calling you all Russians, but shit, Eastern Europe has it going on.

Interesting observation, I went into the poll having in my mind the stuff I listened to when growing up and still listen to. The golden era or whatever one wants to call it. Hence the name of the poll "In Goa/Psy history" atleast that was my interpretation of what the voting was about. :) Of course now in modern times, the geographics of the genre has changed considerably. If I was to add the modern era as well, it would have another geographical tilt, since from my recollection there was a lot less goa from eastern Europe in the early days, atleast that reached my part of Europe. Today we have a broader selection of goa artists from the entirety of the Eurasian continent, not limited to but including Romania, Poland, Russia, The Balkan Peninsula, Turkey and also of course Belgium on the western side of Europe, Portugal and Spain as well. Finland and Norway seems to be on the rise, or perhaps their scenes gets more exposure now through other channels than before. 

My impression however is that North America is still somewhat underrepresented when it comes to classic goa/neo goa, I can only really remember one group from The United States in the neo goa genre, Aerosis. Who used to be active on this forum back in the day. :) From Canada I don't know about any goa artists at all. China is another country, that I have heard no goa from whatsoever.

When this thread/poll was created back in 2011, only a decade worth of neo goa had passed, so the historical/first era was indeed closer. Now two decades of neo goa has passed, and history is beeing written as we discuss this topic. There will be or already is a new generation, with perhaps not as strong, or no connection at all to the first gen of goa, other than that a lot of old school artists still tour the world. The newer music will perhaps be what they more strongly associate with the scene. Still it seems the interest in the old school goa genre is kept alive as well by the curiousity that an interest in the neo goa genre might create. To be able to understand where it came from, and also perhaps by the increase in old school releases by various labels right now.

6 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

For Russia i'm lumping all the Eastern Europeans in. I know they might not like it but it makes it easier than other. Lunar Dawn, Imba, Nostromosis, Median Project, Fiery Dawn, Centavra Project (Who I just Realized I've been spelling wrong for years), Goasia, Alienapa, Psy-H Project, Omnivox, Omneon, Liquid Flow, Katedra, Artifact303

Actual Russians from that list are Median Project, Centavra Project, Nostormosis and Psy-H Project (we live in the same city :) ). That's it I think. Alieanpia and Katedra are Ukrainians. Anwyay, most of them release at least some of their music at Global Sect which is indeed based in Russia.

I'm not much of a goa fan myself but i think Global Sect are doing it great, somehow they don't just release music which basically anyone could do these days but they create some kind of story behind it. 

• Like 1

How did I miss this topic back in 2012?

United Kingdom is number one, that's plain fact.

Second place is of course Sweden and Israeli, because both countries have more or less the same amount of inhabitants and they both have an unproportional number of excellent artists relative to their number of inhabitants

Third place is Germany, because of it's size and it's history with electronic music, Germany is always relevant in all forms of electric music.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trolsk said:

How did I miss this topic back in 2012?

United Kingdom is number one, that's plain fact.

Second place is of course Sweden and Israeli, because both countries have more or less the same amount of inhabitants and they both have an unproportional number of excellent artists relative to their number of inhabitants

Third place is Germany, because of it's size and it's history with electronic music, Germany is always relevant in all forms of electric music.

Very valid points I think. :) The geographical aspect of this music is a very interesting topic. I really love the different expressions and renditions of the genre and subgenres that emerged in different countries. Comparing for example the Swedish goa to the British and Israeli counterparts, is fascinating to me. I always found the Swedish goa to overall, have a colder tone and perhaps a more scaled back approach to layers. The Ikea approach to goa design. :D