Best country in Goa/Psy history (3 votes)

Ormion

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which country had/has the best artists

Another thread cause I can do it!

Which country had/has the best artists in your opinion?

I activated multiple choice, but IMO it's better if we vote only for the best 3 countries. Otherwise most of us we could just vote for all of them, right?

I included countries with many artists and history. For example I didn't include Spain cause in my knowledge doesn't have any huge famous artists.

If you want an other option vote for the 'other'.

My votes:

1-Israel. IMO the best country in Goa/Psy history.

2-France, the second best country in Goa history.

3-South Africa, the best artists in the post 2000 era.

Guest neurogen

1. sweden!! easy...

Vibrasphere, Filteria, Miranda, Solar Fields, Human Blue, Atmos, Son Kite, Subcouds, Miraculix, Hux Flux etc etc

2. Israel

favs are

IM, Astral, Astrix, Yahel

edit: just noticed i was the only one to vote sweden. WTF are u guys insane?

IMO Greece never had any big name back in the Goa days and only the last 5 years became more active in various genres. I might be wrong.

Imo.. Wizzy Noize was a big name, Cyan and lesser Psycho Meditation, were great names. Furthermore, Hellas had a strong scene.

No, i will not vote. For me Goa/Psy is a universal phenomenon. It is something like a solar religion, like the Sun Cult.

Those who are capable, partake or create. Those who create, are judged; remembered or ignored.

To party South Africa. They really are wonkers.

Music related Uk, Germany and Sweden would be even in my book. But I voted for Germany because of X-Dream.

Israel used to be top on the list, but it has grown very very cheesy.

Imo.. Wizzy Noize was a big name, Cyan and lesser Psycho Meditation, were great names. Furthermore, Hellas had a strong scene.

No, i will not vote. For me Goa/Psy is a universal phenomenon. It is something like a solar religion, like the Sun Cult.

Those who are capable, partake or create. Those who create, are judged; remembered or ignored.

You're right that Greece had a strong scene as an audience, I'm not sure if it had as artists though (uplifting doesn't count). It's the same with Italy. It had Etnica and Lotus Omega, but not much more. Of course I included Italy because Etnica is a reason strong enough to vote for it. :P

I respect your opinion for not to vote, but it's just a fun poll, nothing more :)

I think Greece, Switzerland and Serbia should be in the poll as well, but the most notable countries are in it.

For me, it is:

1. Israel (Ace Ventura, Ritmo, Lish, Osher, Vertical Mode, Mindwave)

2. Serbia (E-Clip, Zyce, Lyctum, Sideform, Flegma & Nerso, Relativ)

3. Switzerland (Motion Drive, Liquid Soul, Midimal, Human Element)

Also Germany has some good artist as well: (Protonica, Day Din, Symphonix, NOK). You are right for not mentioning my country, as we don't have a lot of producers. But some good ones are Zen Mechanics, Liftshift.

Also England, Belgium and Sotuh Africa are big in full on music. :)

(Disclaimer: all trends described here obviously apply only to a fraction of all stuff produced in each country. There are always huge deviations and of course boatloads of uninteresting or generic me-too music produced everywhere. Nevertheless, that interesting, characterful fraction is all we can use to answer a question like this in the first place.)

1. UK: The most advanced, cosmic and mind-boggling synth mayhem of the classic era (Dimension 5, Cosmosis, all things Posfordian, Technossomy, Doof, a lot of other TIP, Twisted, Dragonfly, Flying Rhino, Transient, Symbiosis and so on. You get the idea. No contest here.)

2. Germany: Some melodic goa acts, but especially groovy stuff leaning toward techno, progressive, house and acid with psy elements still firmly in place. They managed to produce interesting grooves in the 2000-ish period when British producers tended to go ultra-dry or quit altogether. (Planet B.E.N, Blenn everything, Biot, High Society, Spirit Zone, Plusquam, Midijum, Free Form... and especially numerous genre-defining DJs like Antaro)

3. France: Plenty of curious and surprising stuff originated from here. There were mystical and ethnic sounds, relentless screaming synth tracks and maybe thinner, quite fast and high frequency oriented production as a broad trend. (Asia 2001, Joking Sphinx, Toï Doï, Underhead, Distance, POF)

• Israel undoubtedly produces a lot and has an iconic position, but to me too much of it is simplified anthem trance. I guess it works on clubs and in beach parties. However, my consumption is 99% home listening so I don't feel like throwing my hands in the air. AP and Avi were cool, though.
  • Sweden deserves a honourable mention, although its greatest stars are essentially techno, house, downtempo and ambient. You can call it "progressive" but it's still house, not psy. Filteria does not count.
  • Japan, Finland and Australia surely manage to surprise, but often the product is completely random, which doesn't automatically make it brilliant. I just don't feel like listening to it and that's all. Benza and Fractal Glider were entertaining while everything else was full-on and hence pointless.
  • North America is largely a black hole regarding psy music if you consider its size. I really don't know why. Maybe they have so much good house and legendary hip-hop that nothing over 130 BPM makes it. Well, Detroit techno fills that void...
  • Italy is a complete oddball case which gave us Etnica and little else (that I manage to recall, at least).
  • New school producers are scattered all around with some bias towards Eastern Europe. I cannot name any single country for that.
Q&A:

Q: How can you ignore/forget X?!

A: Easily. Either intentionally or accidentally.

Q: Y does not apply to X!

A: See the disclaimer.

Oh man that depends so much on the year/era of goa/psy...

For classical Goa:

1. UK

2. Israel

3. France DENMARK

with a special mention to Japan for being so whacky.

EDIT: OW FUCK I FORGOT DENMARK. Ah man, making a top 3 is just impossible... I hereby officially declare that my list is bogus and not to be taken seriously as it can change according to mood/day of the year.

Guest neurogen

still people are totally ignoring

Vibrasphere, Miranda, Subcouds, Hux Flux and Human Blue, Atmos and more.

*CRY*

i should really stay away from list threads - . -

Ok, i've changed my mind. Here it is..

These are the best 604/751 countries i vote:

~. Cydonia

!. Mu

@. D'ni

#. Atlantis (mostly for downtempo)

4. Arrakis

%. Solaris

^. Lemouria

*. Pandora

&. Orion federation

+. Sirius

Guest neurogen

Ok, i've changed my mind. Here it is..

These are the best 604/751 countries i vote:

~. Cydonia

!. Mu

@. D'ni

#. Atlantis (mostly for downtempo)

4. Arrakis

%. Solaris

^. Lemouria

*. Pandora

&. Orion federation

<3

dont forget the Pleiades and Sirius!!

Overall I'd have to say UK, Finland, France, and Sweden.

Israel has obviously been hugely influential in the scene, but there is very little Israeli psy that I actually enjoy. It just doesn't feel as otherworldly/experimental as I'd like.

A lot of my favorite psy artists are from countries other than those that are often associated with psy/goa though.

Guest neurogen

F#ck!!! I forgot Sirius!! (i knew i forgot something)

Emergency EDIT ! Standby !!

(I hope this doesn't cause a diplomatrix crisis)

just got a call from earths ambassador in the GFOL and he was not happy.

Although i think they will work it out with the Sirians. They are known to be diplomatic and since it was an honest mistake I dont think it will cause an uproar.

It's hard to choose because there are interesting artists everywhere.

IMO ^_^

1-But I think FRANCE has good artists, prestigious albums and excellent scenes.

Total Eclipse - Transwave - Blue Planet Corporation - Asia 2001 - Asura - Talamasca - Aes Dana - Amanite FX - Jaia - Deedrah - Toi Doi - Khetzal - Crossing Mind - Merrow - Ajna...

2-ISRAEL an obvious choice for its many artists, its sound quality (before 2000 because I'm now a little disappointed by the lack of magic) and its fabulous scenes.

MFG - Infected Mushroom - Astral Projection - California Sunshine - Indoor - Mystica - Oforia - Power Source - Shidapu - Trivia...

3-The third nation that I consider important is UK. Chi ad - Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Doof - Cosmosis - Hallucinogen - Man With No Name - Moonweed - ManMadeMan - Promotheus - O.O.O.D. - Zodiac Youth - Shakta - Technossomy...

1-But I think FRANCE has good artists, prestigious albums and excellent scenes.

Total Eclipse - Transwave - Blue Planet Corporation - Asia 2001 - Asura - Talamasca - Aes Dana - Amanite FX - Jaia - Deedrah - Toi Doi - Khetzal - Crossing Mind - Merrow - Ajna...

Huh, I didn't realize all those peeps were French.

Also, I thought Oforia was Russian.