Really modern looking city

radi6404

But, thankfully, there is this new generation of architects that take population into their design, hope they fix that horrendous place.

One of the things I can really appreciate in a building is the acoustic of the interiors. It makes such a difference in the quality of the time spend in them.

@procyon of course concrete can be nice for several reasons when the city plan is pleasant, but it's a very bad material for the planet. First because there's no more sand, they need to drain it out from the ocean often, you can imagine how bad it is... In fact concrete use 10x more "grey energy" than wood at least (and metal more than 100 times !).

I think it depends of the school... But every good architecture school must teach sociology and how to understand users needs.

@procyon of course concrete can be nice for several reasons when the city plan is pleasant, but it's a very bad material for the planet. First because there's no more sand, they need to drain it out from the ocean often, you can imagine how bad it is... In fact concrete use 10x more "grey energy" than wood at least (and metal more than 100 times !).

I think it depends of the school... But every good architecture school must teach sociology and how to understand users needs.

I didn't know that about concrete. Well, what really caught my interest was a group of German architects who are building an entire community with mud and corn leaves near Berlin. I saw them on TV. Their houses are awesome and green, perhaps the real future is there.

"I'm sorry, but this train station is very common in my opinion"

that is because I did not post all of the train station and I forgot to upload the glass buildings, the train station looks very futuristic and like you are in the future, it could well be a station appearing in a computer movie or in Star Trek, the big displays, the big areas, the big sings.

@ColourDotz: as a Brazilian, I have a few words on Niemeyer. The worst architect ever, simply put. Brasilia was his dream, a one man's dream, mind you. He didn't take into his dream one element that is the most important of it all: the local population. Making a long story short, Brasilia is ultra-hot city with open spaces with no trees or shadows and large and long avenues. This makes the city a nightmare to do simple things like going to the local supermarket or walking a dog. His mistake was to design a city in European style in a tropical country. I don't think people would need to ride a car with air-conditioning at maximum power to move two or three blocks if Brasilia was placed in Northern Europe. But Brasil is a warm/hot country, asphalt here is so hot you can bake a cake or an egg in five minutes. I have foreigner friends who dreamt of visiting Brasilia, only to say later that it was the most unpleasant place they've ever been. Last news I heard, there is a group of foreigners architects just waiting Niemeyer to die to make some deep modifications in Brasilia, namely creating shadows with trees or undeground tunnels to make people leave their cars at home and walk, a green attitude that is impossible to practice now. The worst thing of all, is that Niemeyer was so prized abroad that a whole new school of architects followed his path. Now, in places where temperatures reach 35 Celsius and that used to have parks like Central Park in NY, we have huge squares of concrete and cement with no trees at all, with a senseless sculpture in the middle of it. The very downtown of the city where I am living now we had a park full of flamboyant trees with a lake, places to sit and have a talk while having an ice cream. Now it's a 100m x 150m cement square with no trees at all, it's so hot that even after midnight it radiates heat absorbed during the day. No wonder downtown is dead place now. So, please stop praising Niemeyer and his horrible school of design. He was a man who thought of a world made of blocks and blocks of cements, no green was allowed in his dreams.

Wow Procyon... Sounds horrible. International architecture is really outdated: stupid solutions as you said, mostly a question of fashion and shape grammar... No place for inhabitants needs, environnemental impact, or even relation to the existing site... !! What is sad is that there are still a lot of architects who think this way ("This concrete is so beautiful, don't care about the huge ecological impact of this material")...

It's funny how it is always the architects who gets the full blame, sure they are the ones creating the designs but the ones who choose to spend their money on such stupid projects are the true culprits... and that they continued to use these obviously unsuited designs after building Brasilia falls back on the money people making the decisions, probably while driving their air-conditioned cars... it really sounds horrible no matter what! While blaming the the architects makes no sense, if their designs are sought after they will make them, but good to hear that something has changed and that people are put back into the equation in Brazil...

An architect that has tried to incorporate local climate for a long time is Henning Larsen

Ministry of foreign affairs Saudi Arabia (1984)

King Abdulla Financial District(masterplan 2012)

Tianjin Green Business District (masterplan 2008)

Calabar International Convention Center (2013)

• 1 month later...

so a few days ago i went to a very beautiful city in Germany called herrenberg. It is aktually a town and not very big, about 40 000 citicens, but it looks different to many German towns. it is very clean and the podestrian paths and the main station are very big and look very modern and clean. It is a big contrast and woke up my inspiration for new things to do. Altough Germany is a country with high standart, it does look the same almost everywhere and it does not look very moder and grey. The podestrian pathways have very hard grey asphalt instead of tales or soft asphalt so they stress up your shoes. It is not overly clean in many cities of Baden- Württebern near Stuttgart and many Bulgarian towns look better at some places. But Herrenberg is different, I was amazed about the beautiful buildings, old and new harmonize together, about the huge train station with big displays and signs and about the glass buildings. It is a city that really looks like some place from the future, so I wil go there often. The beautiful nature along the trainway, the beautiful old and new buildings in Herrenberg and the very smooth railway Tübingen - Herrenberg is something that really calms me down and gives me new inspiration. I can go there for a whole day, enjoy the town, look at some girls and come home very relaxed so I can think of new stuff to do, maybe produce some good music and get my inspirations from there. When you see something really clean and modern your brain gets very releaxed and you can get much more energy from that than even from listening to the most amazing goa trance track (depents on the soundsystem ofcourse) Here are some pics of Herrenberg:

http://www.facebook....&type=3

This huge S Bahn sign is something that you would not find at many German towns. Most twons would consider it a waste of money and not add such an intersting sign at the train station, I find it looks beautiful and clean.

If you look at that station you would think Herrenberg is a city with at least 50 000 citicens. The station at the fucking ugly place I live is very small, extremly dirty and it almost falls apart, nothing to look at and my town has the same amount of citicens than Herrenberg.

Interesting building, new clean road, big podestrain ways with tales instead of ugly grey asphalt.

Tell me what you think about it and if you can get relaxed from the same things or not?

You would love Singapore. I've been in a lot of places (Paris, Malmo, Amsterdam, Sydney, Bangkok, Manila and many others...) and this is by far the most perfect place, clean, modern, nice people... it's rich of course. I guess Dubai is in the same style and probably over...

So you know what to do radi, book a flight to Singapore!