Post a short review

Dolmot

OK, we have those full review boards but let's face it: nowadays only 1% or something of all new psy-related releases get their own topics there. Many of us can't be arsed to go through the whole process of cover pics, track listing, detailed commentary and whatnot. Consequently, plenty of releases go entirely under the radar. You can wish for more full reviews or a pony but that probably won't make it happen.

So, let's try something different. Post here brief commentary on any release that deserves a mention. It can be a new one, an old one, a gem, a disappointment or even a non-psy release if you think people here might appreciate it. Albums, singles, free downloads etc. are all fine. If it's a music release, you can review it here.

The rules:

• Keep it informative and readable. Keep it text only. No YouTube blobs. No cover art. No full track listing. Those can be found elsewhere. No links to external reviews. No other pics either (including but not limited to "funny" response pics). Maximise your own output.
  • 1-3 paragraphs should be enough. "Rocks" or "sucks" is too little. Ten paragraphs probably justifies a full review topic instead.
  • It's fine to post first impressions based on samples. We're trying to give quick glances to interesting stuff here so you don't have to own it. However, if it's only announced without any audio samples, it's too early to review it (even under this broad interpretation).
  • Absolutely no advertisement or spam. Do not "review" your own or affiliated stuff. Yes, of course it's the most OMGest dancefloor mega hot guaranteed to blah blah whatever. Does anyone even read that drivel any more? We have at least two boards for that already so don't bring it in here. In this topic we want real finds and honest opinions.
  • Apart from reviews, preferably post only comments which add something helpful (such as your own short opinion). Longer discussions and dick fencing should be taken elsewhere.
What you could/should include:
  • Artist, title, label, year. A single line in bold should be clear enough in a thread like this. No need to make it huge or looking like a christmas tree.
  • What is it? Goa, house, bog trance, glitchcore, death disco, speedambient? Album, compilation, single, loose track? Real, virtual?
  • Is it any good?
  • A few notable and/or informative aspects of it.
  • Who should check it out and who shouldn't?
  • A link or two to useful sites, probably Discogs or label site first, others if necessary.
So, it might look something like this:

Abalakalatananayaya - Shiva Mushroom Universe (Churnout Records 2012)

The fifth studio album of Aba is finally out. After two solid albums and two disappointments he's gone back into mellow psycore with bluegrass influences. The eight tracks have quite a lot of variation among them, ranging from 36 to 240 BPM. "Cow Snatch" was released on a VA earlier this year, but the album version expands the banjo solo to four minutes. Tracks 3-6 sound good. Track 7 ("Mind Contraction") feels like a last-minute filler, though. People who like it fast, wild and hot should definitely try this. However, notice that the production is a bit rushed. Allegedly the whole album was produced on amphetamines in 72 hours and it occasionally shows. Nevertheless, a pleasant surprise from Aba and Churnout who have been struggling in the last few years. Available in major CD and download shops. CD is limited to 30 copies. Discogs

Got it? Let's see if this works. :)

Very good idea , although this board has T2MU who doesnt try to miss a single release. He even has gif's to go with each track and the entire review flows like a stand up comedy ! He wont be amused though , you steal his thunder and his market with this thread :P

well i guess i could mention a track here that i keep going back to...

"Tube - Meet the monster (Noizepulse rmx)" (2010) is one of my all time favourites... forget about the intro and outro, those are just an attempt to keep the monster contained... and they hardly do... at 3:00 it starts a buildup that just keeps hitting and hitting...

awesome melodies and all-round uplifting-without-the-cheese sound that puts a smile on my face and an itch in my foot every time i hear it.

We had a similar thread before but it fell off the radar. Perhaps such a thread is worth pinning - let's see whether this one draws any interest and if so I'll run it by the admins.

Anyway, here's a few from me:

Kindzadza - Nano Ninja (buy it here): my early impression is that this is fantastic. It's similar in style to Insoluble, but it's more melodic, faster, more varied and just plain better.

Dragon - Spirals of Time (buy it here): very good, it sounds metallic and spacey with great use of samples. One of those rare darkpsy albums that doesn't feel as though it's trying to follow any trends, the artist has developed his own sound and put it to great use.

Hypogeo - Tree of Lies (buy it here): good dark progressive. There's a varied palette of cool noises on every track, but it's kind of depressing and I find it hard to listen to the whole album in one go.

Tor.Ma - Inside Universe (buy it here): lovely psydub/psy-chill. The first half of the album sounds like a not-as-good Androcell, the second half like a better (IMO) Bluetech.

Various - Special Places (Sentimony 2012)

OK, we already have a review of this but now it's available for free on Ektoplazm. What a listing it has. Cygna's album was in heavy rotation around here last year. Speaking of rotations, Field Rotation's 100 CD limited editions sell out in mere seconds. You probably know Chronos and AstroPilot if you've been following psychill scene in the slightest. Some of the names are less known but no less worthy.

What we have here is chillout leaning towards the ambient side. A lot of it is beatless without being just pads and drones. It has classical hints and thought-out compositions. The places seen in the music are special indeed. If you've been under the impression that chillout only means Ultimae's latest and that slowed-down-to-100-bpm 4/4 track they put last on goa CDs, try this and expand your views. It's great and it's free. If you already recognised the names and didn't have the CD, get it now. It's still free...or available physically.

Ektoplazm Discogs

We had a similar thread before but it fell off the radar. Perhaps such a thread is worth pinning - let's see whether this one draws any interest and if so I'll run it by the admins.

Indeed. We had this one, but it's long forgotten.

I like this thread and I agree that it's worth pinning, since very few people write reviews anymore.

My contributions for 2012 albums:

Sync24-Comfortable Void

I like it less than the first Sync24 album, but it's nice especially the slower tracks. Typical Ultimae style, downtempo with broken beats and smooth melodies. Recommended for all Ultimae lovers, although not their best release.

Antispin-Cropped Circles

Something like Scorb without the melodies. UK twilight/full on style. Fat kick, nice production, but with no melodies, no climaxes and not much storytelling. Nice but flat IMO.

Phatmatix-Eternalis

Nice classical touch in the twilight genre. It sounds more 'plastic' than his older albums, but it's much more melodic. The melodies are influenced by classical music. Somehow the power is missing although it's there (oxymoron I know), but overall a nice album.

Ishq-Deep Space Objects

Spacey ambient by the master, reminds me bit of the Colourform album. Totally beatless, it's like floating in space while bathing in sunlight. Masterpiece.

Ishq-Flowering Mountain Earth

This one is more organic and earthly, but still relaxed and lovely.The first track is totally minimal, the next ones have some tribal elemen. It sounds like African ambient music somehow. Another excellent releass.

Hallucinogenic Horses-The Golden Years

Forest album by Derango, Donkey Shot, Makadam and other forest masters. I was kind of dissapointed with this. It's good, but I was expected a Tumult no.2 or something. I guess I missed the ritual melodies.

Fungus Funk-Kremlin Gremlin

Something like darkpsy with melodies. The synths are in the usual Fungus Funk style which means they are raw and noisy. I like it, but it can be a bit rough for most.

Phobos Azazel-Organistic

Melodic darkpsy, some very nice tracks here. Some of them have a goa touch and the downtempo track is amazing.

Darkshire-Path Of Memories

Usual darkpsy, not bad, but kind of formulaic. Most tracks sound the same. Not much happening, but it's atmospheric I'll give that.

Demoniac Isnomniac-Power Of Destruction

Great surprise. Sounds a bit like Kindzadza. Nice textures and some trippy melodies. Soem tracks are too fast though.

Leppy-Rust

Twilight from Portugal that sounds like SA style. Catchy melodies, fat percussion and power. Nice one.

Loose Connection & Nyama-Stereocilia

FX madness (psycore style), but not much more. I need something more than effects flying around.

Ishvara-Under A Hexagon Sky

Another masterpiece by the master Ishq. Again a beatless symphony of pure ambient sounds. I don't see much differences with his Ishq project. Amazing album.

Attoya-Wooden Beats

Forest from Israel. Deep and different. The mastering is a bit harsh and some tracks sound like fillers, but very good if you like Forest psy.

SUPER TOPIC Dolmot!

You're way of thinking is great Dolmot, I fee exactly the same and would love to see some changes,

that's why I opened this topic...

http://www.psynews.o...d/#entry1002091

it's almost the same idea as yours, an idea that was floating in my mind for a long time,

so big thanx for having the same...

Let's see how it goes...

Maybe the mod's can combine our topics on in one big thread and a vote (or not)...

I'm curious how it will go... It's great to see so many input.

Now on topic, don't want to wast your topic ;)

Lyctum - Tales From The Universe - 2012

A perfect combination of progressive and fullon. This release has floating melodies but is not based on direct satisfaction when it comes to melodies.

Everything is warm and subtle. A crystal clear production with a baseline that creates brain activity and surprises me often.

This is an album that will be approachable for those who like progressive but have the need for a stronger touch once and a while,

or fullon lovers that prefer it a bit slower once and while. For each it's own.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yse/yse1cd280.html

Sideform - Moving On - 2011

The same goes for sideform as lyctum. The difference is that sideform is less warm and more psychedelic in it's melodies.

Again good for progressive and fullon lovers.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yse/yse1cd265.html

Hyperion - Drop Psychosis - 2008

This is very good fullon. The problem is that I guess something went wrong in the mastering or production.

The melodies are pretty intelligent and variated but the entire release sound a bit doof with the result

that the climaxes aren't represented as they should be. I never equalize but with drop psychosis I have to.

As last to be a morning fullon release it's not the typical astrix morning fullon but different.

That's why I like it at a certain level and it would be nice to have more fullon releases in that direction

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yse/yse1cd178.html

All appreciated, but concerning entries like this:

Ishvara-Under A Hexagon Sky

Another masterpiece by the master. Nothing more to say.

Could you try anyway? I don't know the artist. I don't know what genre it is. There's no link or other hints. This is mostly infomative to people who...err...already know everything about it? It's approaching the one-worder "rocks" which is too little.

All appreciated, but concerning entries like this:

Could you try anyway? I don't know the artist. I don't know what genre it is. There's no link or other hints. This is mostly infomative to people who...err...already know everything about it? It's approaching the one-worder "rocks" which is too little.

Yeah you're right, sorry. Ishvara is Ishq.

I added links and edited them for more info.

Lyctum - Tales From The Universe - 2012

A perfect combination of progressive and fullon. This release has floating melodies but is not based on direct satisfaction when it comes to melodies.

Everything is warm and subtle. A crystal clear production with a baseline that creates brain activity and surprises me often.

This is an album that will be approachable for those who like progressive but have the need for a stronger touch once and a while,

or fullon lovers that prefer it a bit slower once and while. For each it's own.

http://www.psyshop.c.../yse1cd280.html

Sideform - Moving On - 2011

The same goes for sideform as lyctum. The difference is that sideform is less warm and more psychedelic in it's melodies.

Again good for progressive and fullon lovers.

http://www.psyshop.c.../yse1cd265.html

You have excellent taste! Great description, I enjoyed both of these albums a lot. And indeed, I have friends who are not much in to progressive that really liked the Lyctum album. He has a very powerful style. :)

I like this idea, but let's say it takes off. When you have 15 pages of short blurbs like this how are you going to find it? Do I have to go thru the entire thread each time?

I'm not mad, these reviews are a lot of work. But I do enjoy doing them at the moment. I don't think Dolomot is taking a shot at me. Are you?

He's right, unless everyone jumps on board and starts doing reviews (hasn't worked yet) lots of good stuff is going to get missed.

Mdk

Astral Projection - In the Mix

this is a short review of Astral Projection - In the Mix. I am wondering why many people dislike this album and think it is underrated. It does have many tracks from previous albums but it is a great collection of tracks and the tracks that are exclusive on this album are very good aswell. It has the track Free Tibet - Free Spirit Remix which is a very fresh and uplifting goa trance track. It is meolodious and has a more uplifting atmosphere than the original. The melody sounds happy and uplifting, yet it is advanced and adds a new touch to the track. In my opinion it is better than the original and sounds more complex.

another masterpeace on this album is Virtual booste.r I don#t see that track mentioned a lot by users on this forum yet it is a very good track by Astral projection. Soundwise it comes close to Another world and Dancing Galaxy. It is a strong and darker sounding track by Astral projection. The track has a very deep and rich atmosphere which makes you feel like you are outside at an ocean or in the middle of the party with lots of people and lot's of colours. It is a very alive track which works great for the dancefloor and rises my mood a lot.

The remix of Dancing Galaxy is yet another brilliant remix of an original track. here we see again that Astral made it sounds more fresh and with many more sounds playing. It has a deeper atmosphere than the original and the sound is great. I like that track aswell.

Most tracks on that album are great and all the new tracks have a very rich atmosphere like the remix of Another World. The album deserves a rating of 8/10 and most new tracks on that album are geniume Astral tracks, nothing to be underestimated.

Astral Projection - In the Mix

this is a short review of Astral Projection - In the Mix. I am wondering why many people dislike this album and think it is underrated. It does have many tracks from previous albums but it is a great collection of tracks and the tracks that are exclusive on this album are very good aswell. It has the track Free Tibet - Free Spirit Remix which is a very fresh and uplifting goa trance track. It is meolodious and has a more uplifting atmosphere than the original. The melody sounds happy and uplifting, yet it is advanced and adds a new touch to the track. In my opinion it is better than the original and sounds more complex.

another masterpeace on this album is Virtual booste.r I don#t see that track mentioned a lot by users on this forum yet it is a very good track by Astral projection. Soundwise it comes close to Another world and Dancing Galaxy. It is a strong and darker sounding track by Astral projection. The track has a very deep and rich atmosphere which makes you feel like you are outside at an ocean or in the middle of the party with lots of people and lot's of colours. It is a very alive track which works great for the dancefloor and rises my mood a lot.

The remix of Dancing Galaxy is yet another brilliant remix of an original track. here we see again that Astral made it sounds more fresh and with many more sounds playing. It has a deeper atmosphere than the original and the sound is great. I like that track aswell.

Most tracks on that album are great and all the new tracks have a very rich atmosphere like the remix of Another World. The album deserves a rating of 8/10 and most new tracks on that album are geniume Astral tracks, nothing to be underestimated.

+ axis is imo one of the purest goatrance productions ever made...

• 2 weeks later...

Digicult - The Lucid Nation (2012) - Really it's just three tracks that I listen to - the two with URecken and the one with Hux Flux - those are all pretty killer in my opinion - the rest of the tracks are pleasant and somewhat enjoyable to me but don't inspire. Melodic full-on type music - artfully done and very emotional though - catchy melodies too which I love.

V/A - Conundrum Concoction (2012) - Epic psychill compil from Derango, Conundrum Concoction, Molokow, and Prisma - the whole album is deeeeep trippy downtempo of the highest quality - kinda the forest sound - superb journey music. Two tracks by Derango - The Unsane Tale" and "The Oaks Tale" are both among my favorite downtempo tracks ever - I don't go for Derango's uptempo music but this psychill here is off the charts.

• 2 weeks later...

Digicult - The Lucid Dream : One word after reading the reviews above and that i can say it's that i really enjoyed this album, after listening like 8 times i could say it's one of the best this year. This first listening i was disapointed because of the success of previous release but after several try i started to enjoy it a lot. Strange but sound better with headphone.

Sync24 - Comfortable Void : Here we have track with beat, and others beatless, the whole is well mixed. Nice theme, nice melodies, and same here, i tried it like 6 times and i always enjoyed my travel in ambient world. I think i could listen this all my live without boring me. One of my favorite, in my top 15 ambient album. Respect

ZuVuYa - Tales of Interdimensional Travel

This is another free release on ektoplazm from April of this year. Yes, it is darkpsy/psycore/wtfcore/psylmfao, but there was something really creative about this release that kept me from shutting it off. A lot of darkspy seems satisfied to just throw a bunch of blips and beeps over top a dull baseline and then hit play, but ZuVuYa throws all that out the proverbial window. Anything goes on this release. Tales of Interdimensional Travel is a trip and a half, a brain squishing listening experience if you are so inclined to lose yourself in its intricacies. It's psycore done right imo.

Sync24 - Comfortable Void : Here we have track with beat, and others beatless, the whole is well mixed. Nice theme, nice melodies, and same here, i tried it like 6 times and i always enjoyed my travel in ambient world. I think i could listen this all my live without boring me. One of my favorite, in my top 15 ambient album. Respect

Good, I'm still looking for some new psy ambient released in 2012, definitely gonna check this one out :)

Really, these reviews should go into the review topic... Although I agree with dolmot, there should ALWAYS be a short description of the style!

exactly!! imagine this thread is evolving, countless pages of short reviews to dive through, okay, would be also nice, but it belongs to the review section! i don't mind if it's only a few sentences. it causes attention, look at the digicult mentions. minimal standard for reviews? picture, tracklist, tracklength, bpm? pfff - post a discogs link

I've listened to some decent albums this weekend,

Let's have a quick peak to those that I enjoyed the most

and are imo recommended...

Silicon sound - pure analog (2003)

http://www.psynews.o...g/#entry1004886

Astral projection - Amen (2002)

http://www.psynews.o...40#entry1004887

Electric universe - one love (1995)

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/35343-electric-universe-one-love/page__st__20#entry1004946

Electric universe - stardriver 1997)

http://www.psynews.o...r/#entry1004891

Gaudium ‎– Session Of Progression (2011)

http://www.psynews.o...n/#entry1004888

VA - Chaos Unlimited Rebirth (2000)

http://www.psynews.o...h/#entry1004889

Portamento - The portal (2011)

http://www.psynews.o...20#entry1004295

Various ‎– Musica Psychedelica Scandinavica (1998)

http://www.psynews.o...a/#entry1004890

• 2 weeks later...

Some new recommendations

Atmos - Headcleaner (2000)

http://www.psynews.o...r/#entry1004892

Auricular ‎– Audion (2001)

http://www.psynews.o...n/#entry1004894

Beat Bizarre ‎– Lewd (2001)

http://www.psynews.o...20#entry1004895

Shpongle ‎– Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost (2005)

http://www.psynews.o...20#entry1004896

Subsistence - The Condition Of Existence (2011)

I would recommend this release starting by track 6.

It's progressive with psychedelic melodies but the guy

takes his time to change it's melody patterns.

The choice of sounds is not bad at all. He has talent

and knows what he is doing but it takes a while before

he gets started. Like I said, Track 6 and you're gone...

The baselines gets more motivated. And he's more original

with his melodies that sizzle very nice up and down.

It's not housy or fluffy at all but has a sort off warm, spacy atmosphere.

http://www.discogs.c...release/2886877

Jaïa - Fiction (2005)

http://www.psynews.o...60#entry1004941

Reefer decree - Sound frames (2001)

http://www.psynews.o...40#entry1004945

• 4 weeks later...