First stuff you listened to

prog4all

Most of us are listening to psytrance for a little while now and are listening to many different kinds of artist. What was the first stuff you listened to when just getting in to psytrance? This could be getting albums from friends, seeing a good live act for the first time at a party etc. And also, do you still listen to this stuff now?

For me it started of with Hallucinogen, some X Dream and also Atmos. I remember the first full-on stuff I listen to was Ital, Zen Mechanics, Headroom, AMD and some others. Most of these I still listen to, but not as often as before.

So with what type of psytrance related music did you start of?

Btw, excuse me if theres already a topic like this.

My very very first try at Psytrancde was Prana (didn't like it at first).

And then Hallucinogen, which did the snap! Basically I listened to "Twisted" constantly in the first half of 1996.

After that, Total Eclipse, MFG, Astral Projection, Transwave, Etnica, Shakta were playing in my stereo every day.

^^, that is how it should be, Mars.

The very first song I have ever heart as real Goa Trance was Electric universe - electric Pulsation. We were at some relatives, some cousins with my first grade cousin and another cousin put in a cd called Trance Asia Express. I did not know what it is but I heart it. I have been wondering what that stuff is and my mind was playing crazy. Electric Pulsation played a bit and I was putting the stereo louder and louder until people there said I should not overreact. I was blown away so much that I took the cd with me and listened to it 14 days every day. Until that day, it was August and I was 12 my musical taste changed from standart techno stuff to goa trance for good. And the good thing is, goa trance still sounds as magical to me as it always did and I still love Electric universe - electric pulsation from the master Boris.

The first Goa tracks I listened to were by Hallucinogen, Blue Planet Corporation, Doof and a few others. I still listen to all of these artists extremely regularly, never growing tired of the complexity within the tracks.

The first fullon I heard was the track Rearranged by Vibe Tribe, which I still play occasionally and enjoy, and I also listened to some tunes by Astrix and 1200mics, none of which do I still listen to.

It was late 90s, '98 actually. I remember it was my first days in school i had only 7 years. I went with parents to shopping center in downtown, we sit somewhere to eat icecream and there was playing Miranda - Le Passage.

I remember it very well didn't know what is that music. After in 2004 i got folk cd from local bar and there was some music from Miranda and Astral Project too (wtf) haha

So i heard Mahadeva and Steps to the Stars and then found Le Passage and i finaly discovered that track and then after i discovered what music is it, then all started. Lets say first track was Le Passage in 1998 :)

Goa Gil "Forest of the saints" in 99 at my cousins place .. he had gone to Goa and got back a random tape that he said everyone was into and this kind of electronic music was becoming really popular.. i was already into prodigy and euro trance so i decided to give it a spin and not to my surprise lo and behold i was hooked to "Psycho"... then came Astrix and the likes once i started discovering more ...

My iniciation to Goatrance began by Return to the source - deep trance and ritual beats.. a friend of mine sent copied tape to me..around96-97...after that my life has changed forever !! in 97 i had the very first party experience at Stara Hut Tekknival..there was a dutch sound system with big wooden statue in front, fires around ,fractalic UV decos...mystical.. and the sound was mega loud...total trippy:)))

My first track was: Transwave - Hypersphere... from the VA - Heavy Mental CD in 1996. Me and a friend was out walking and i had tried LSD for the first time. I was a total metalhead, and he said to me: Psychedelic drugs to psychedelic music... like the hand in the glowe. He pulled out a sony walkman and some cassetapes. It was: VA - Pulse 1, VA - Heavy Mental... and TanTrance 1.

It was like... i was inside the mixing desk... hearing everything going on in the music.... I was totally hooked, and still is....

Ubar Tmar - Prophecy. I think it was in 1997.

Following that, I bought the compilation it was on (Destination Goa 3) and Astral Projections "Dancing Galaxy". I grew up in a quite small town, but even the local record-dealer had a few goa/psytrance-CD's. The Goa Head and Destination Goa series were definitely a good introduction.

Ubar Tmar - Prophecy. I think it was in 1997.

Following that, I bought the compilation it was on (Destination Goa 3) and Astral Projections "Dancing Galaxy". I grew up in a quite small town, but even the local record-dealer had a few goa/psytrance-CD's. The Goa Head and Destination Goa series were definitely a good introduction.

Back in time it was very easy to find good goa trance cds on local music stores. You even could ask the shop assistant to play the cd. Some people even liked it and played it loud for you if you wanted.

First what I heard were Etnica with their Alien Protein, mind you I was too young to grasp it back 1999-2000(?) when I heard for the first time, I just heard it by chance as well as Destination Goa 8th Chapter CD1.

Years later IM, PsyChaos, X-Dream, Pleiadians-Meter opened up my mind to it all and all of a suddent Alien Protein became my religion :)

cool topic! i remember how i heard a track from astral projection on an internet radio in 2006. the DJ on the radio said its goa, so i searched for more stuff on the internetz cause i liked it from the very beginning.

weeks or months later i was walking home in the middle of the night when i heard sound coming out of the nearby forest. me and my friend decided to check whats going on there.

when we got there, there was a fire, about 30 people sitting around it and a dj on the decks playing "strange stuff". one guy came to us, offered us a beer and was so friendly from the very beginning. i asked him where the hell we are here. he said its a goa party. so i asked him why the dj isnt playing stuff like astral projection if this was a goa party. he laughed at me and explained everything :P

so first stuff was astral projection and hallucinogen. i think its sad that i missed the time before the full on/progressive stuff :/

My first contact with goa trance was probably in 1998. I was intrigued by certain spiralling sounds I heard in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam, during an interrail trip around Europe.

Posted Image

Back home, being more or less familiar with electronic music, I had a look in the goa trance section of a record store (that wouldn't exist for much longer), and got two V/A comps: Black Rhino and Forever Psychedelic. From there I got hooked. Bought some more releases at the same place (Equator, Voodoo Witch, Distance To Goa box-sets). Searching the web I found sites like TRiP, goatrance.free.fr and mp3.com, and have kept collecting the stuff until now.

I know this coffeeshop, not far from the red light district and damrak. It's funny, living here my whole life I never heard psytrance in a coffeeshop, I wish i did though. I heard it many times in smartshops where they sell ingredients and things a bit stronger than weed.

kliksan: I can only I agree with you. At my first psytrance party people were extremely friendly and tolerant. This is also part of the reason I like this scene and the mentality of the majority of the people. Also is took me a whole year after realizing there is so many good progressive. Wish I found out earlier!

The first I heard was Astral Projection's "Mahadeva", which I downloaded from MP3.com, but I didn't actually get into goa/psy for a few years after that. I just kept listening to that song. Some time later I got into Infected Mushroom, although now I can't remember where I first heard them. Then I started hunting down MFG and Transwave songs online and going from there, and the first non-IM albums I got were Goa Vibes 2 and Hallucinogen's "Twisted".

My introduction to psy was like so many others during the first decennium of the new millennium Infected Mushroom... Cities of the Future to be more precise. But at the same time some of my friends got into dark so I listened to stuff like this a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IixlZ1sz9fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5PE8L92vqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAm9mdEgyV8

And then I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV5hgi1S_pw

The rest is history :D

My first experience of psytrance came very late (2011)as I was addicted to Rock. My first rave party, they were playing dark/psycore, I had no idea abt what it was, but it blew my mind, after returning from the party I heard Goa Gil-Shri Maharaja in my cousins car, from then I spent of a lot of time getting to know about psytrance n it's sub-genres :) and after a year here I am at Psynews sharing my experience. #ROCK R.I.P

total eclipse - violent relaxation started it all

changed my life

then the flood gates opened and the collection started

the rhinos, d5, green nuns, tips, astral, occidentalism, cabbaged stuff

all came very quickly, but got what i could as there wasn't much going in little old nz back in the day, there was a scene, but pretty small.

lucky had a place just up the road who imported stuff

My first party was in 2000 i think, but i didn't really like it as i was not into edm at that time. One and a half years later i started getting into drumnbass and got some bad quality mp3 with some goa classics along with dnb from a friend. it took quite a while to get used to the 4/4 kick and the first track i actually liked was Astral Projection - Let There Be light. I began searching forums for reccomendations and (concerning psy) mainly collected things like AP, Talamasca and SUN Project at that time. I went to psy parties every now and then for a while, but wasn't fully converted (from jungle/freetekno) until 2006.