Can animals perceive Psytrance as a music ?

Guest D N H

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ZBM8gAtlchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZCsvbWzL1M

Certainly, some of us have a pet animal in our home as a beloved companion, mostly a dog or a cat, or maybe a parrot or even a sober specie of monkey.

Before many years, when i was a child and living in a house with a backyard, i noticed one day that i let a cat get in and join me inside the house, that was aware of the sound coming out of the music player, but was scary too and hostile towards it. I thought she doesn't like the music.

Few years now that i live with a cat, i see that is very accustomed to psytrance since a kitten. She can even sleep while the vibes spreading in the room.

Well, the subject focuses on psytrance especially as a complex music but it is related with music as a phenomenon for the senses and the perception of the animals and its effect on them.

Not only can animals perceive psy-trance as music, but some of them are even able to differentiate between progressive, full-on, old goa and other types of psy-trance. The funny thing is that most of these animals have no clue about techno or house music. Strange.

Pedro

This is very interesting, always wondered it. I have a cat for many years and he doesn't seem to mind the music at all. In fact, when I'm sitting very close to my speakers he doesn't mind coming over. I must say that I don't put the music really loud (also because of the neighbors). I think we can call animals much more open minded than the average person today. Most people outside the psytrance scene don't get in to this music very easily. And from what I experienced animals have no problem listening to it.

Not only can animals perceive psy-trance as music, but some of them are even able to differentiate between progressive, full-on, old goa and other types of psy-trance. The funny thing is that most of these animals have no clue about techno or house music. Strange.

Pedro

wat.

My cat hates any kind of trance or techno. I think she doesn't like the thumping. If I turn it up loud enough she runs around my apartment like she's crazy. Curiously, metal tends to make her chill out and go to sleep.

Guest E-Mantra

Do you mean, animals animals? Or animals, like some of my friends? :wacko:

or maybe do you wanted to say "sheeps" //i live amongst sheeps also..

i think animals sense high frequencies in a track /so they could react to that

im pretty sure that they will react on aphex twin music for ex

I listen mostly to ambient and downbeat at home, so both my cat and dog are familiar to that kind of music. Sometimes me and my girlfriend babysitting my girlfriends moms dog. When we are doing that, its obvious that her moms dog (who is mostly listening to finsish cultural music at home :)) reacting and our animals not. The dog is barking and acting in a "gaurdian mode". I think, like humans, the prehistorical experiences playing a big part for anaimals psyche as well. If you been raised up with a certain musicstyle, you feel it your veins - and maybe you have a bigger potenial to integrate and "understand" that kind of music. But I guess animals also have a subjective taste...

judging by the amount of "have you seen my dog" posters after an open air festival I suppose not many of them appreciate the music. Mind you that dogs are particularly sensitive to low frequencies so IMO putting them close to the dancefloor during some dark psy is similar to torture for most of them (funny that most owners who do that would usually lecture you on how everyone should be a vegetarian not to hurt animals lol)

Very itneresting topic. I liek the idea animals liking goa trance, the music is in fact very hypnotic and can move you and put you in different states of mind. But I am wondering how animals feel the music and if they know it is music at all or think there are some animals behind the speakers making the sounds. I often tried putting headphones on a dog but he did not like it at all. They hear 7 times better than we so ofcourse music should not be played loud when a dog is in the same room, we do not want to heart them.

I think, like humans, the prehistorical experiences playing a big part for anaimals psyche as well. If you been raised up with a certain musicstyle, you feel it your veins - and maybe you have a bigger potenial to integrate and "understand" that kind of music. But I guess animals also have a subjective taste...

I think to some extend that's true.

But the unanswered question is does music create them euphoria, feelings or admiration? Or is it maybe just only complex random sounds?

I doubt animals grasp the patterns and ratios of sounds that we call music. They just probably hear noise, and feel it when it's a kick drum. Music grew out of humans' ability to control the pitch and timbre of our voices, beginning with coherent speech. Millenia of learning to hear and use specific sounds eventually led to perceiving beauty in certain combinations. Animals, to our knowledge, don't have that ability. The types of animals we use as pets certainly don't display any tendency to control the pitch and timbre of their meows & howls.

I think they do, a dog can control if it yalls loud or quiet, if it is high pitched or not very hig pitched or if it whines, so can control the pitch, he can yall faster or slower and make many noises, so that is not true.

It is the same for cats, they can make many different noises.

:D too funny replies again

i've seen my friend's cat cuddle up against the speaker when we were producing music at insane volume, and my cat seems to like it too when i'm playing psytrance sometimes outside with the laptop, they definitely relate to the rhythms and bassvibes, some like it, some don't.