Guest D N H

Karma (Sanskrit: कर्म IPA: [ˈkərmə] Pali: kamma) in Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in the Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh religions. Wikipedia

Karma is a law in Hinduism which maintains that every act done, no matter how insignificant, will eventually return to the doer with equal impact. Good will be returned with good; evil with evil. Since Hindus believe in reincarnation, karma knows no simple birth/death boundaries. If good or evil befall you, it is because of something you did in this or a previous lifetime.

Karma is sometimes referred to as a "moral law of cause and effect." Karma is both an encouragement to do good and to avoid evil, as well as an explanation for whatever good or evil befalls a person. Skeptic's Dictionary

Karma is defined as many things. Some say it’s definition is: You get what you put out. Whatever you release into the universe, Comes back to you in one way or another.

Some religions say karma is a person who has done bad things in past lifetimes, resulting in misfortune in future lifetimes. Karma is also defined as obstacles too. Karma is also birth, aging, sickness, and death.

Karma is not a punishment or reward but simply an extended expression or consequence of natural acts from a past action. According to some Indian religions. Karma is not fate. They believe we have free will, so we are always free to create our own destiny.

Take a look at the another notion of karma. Westerners say words like: You reap what you sow, live by the sword die by the sword or what goes around comes around. In other words: What we put out is returned to us.We can expect the same result when we do something for or against another. This is like the Law of Attraction in some ways. Ex: If you think about a person with a good or bad intention for them you are sending energy at that moment. Bliss Returned Wordpress

Karma is a Sanskrit word and means “Action or work.” How do you define karma? We all know what an action or work is, but we never feel that a definition is needed. Krishna defined Karma in Bhagavad Gita as:

Bhuut bhavodbhavakaro visargah karma sangyitah //8:3//

Bhuut = close to “being” rather than a person.

Bhava = thought, feelings or emotions

So, Krishna says that a thought, feeling or emotion arises in a being. This is the first part of the verse, “Bhuut bhavodbhavakaro”

Visargah = discharge, disposition, completing, release of

So:

Karma is release, disposition or discharge of one’s thoughts, feelings and/or emotions.

Example: The flower is beautiful and I want it. I release this feeling and thought by plucking the flower from its plant. Plucking becomes an action by definition. Krishna Universe

The slowness of the Supreme Deity and his procrastination in reference to the punishment of the wicked have long perplexed my thoughts; but now, puzzled by these arguments which he produces, I find myself as it were a stranger to the opinion, and newly beginning again to learn. For a long time I could not with patience hear that expression of Euripides,

Does he delay and slowly move;

'Tis but the nature of the Gods above.

For indeed it becomes not the Supreme Deity to be remiss in any thing, but more especially in the prosecution of the wicked, since they themselves are no way negligent or dilatory in doing mischief, but are always driven on by the most rapid impetuosities of their passions to acts of injustice. For certainly, according to the saying of Thucydides, that revenge which follows injury closest at the heels presently puts a stop to the progress of such as make advantage of successful wickedness. Therefore there is no debt with so much prejudice put off, as that of justice. For it weakens the hopes of the person wronged and renders him comfortless and pensive, but heightens the boldness and daring insolence of the oppressor; whereas, on the other side, those punishments and chastisements that immediately withstand presuming violence not only restrain the committing of future outrages, but more especially bring along with them a particular comfort and satisfaction to the sufferers.

Plutarch - On the Delays of Divine Vengeance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslvr8Iw9r8
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It is quite noticeable when an injustice or a bad takes place in the world, that people, while expressing an unpleasantness, evoke oftenly a divine force to act or a supernatural law to be activated so the primacy of fairness in the world is restored and the sense of justice is served.

So, KARMA or Justice in Return or Deus ex Machina. Does it really occur?

Is it happening in life in real? Can an incident, an allegation, a hypothesis assure about it?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe in the traditional notion of karma, but I do believe we pay a price for every action.

If we are unkind, I think our own consciousness progogates unhappiness in ourselves; and when we are kind, our consciousness rewards us by making us feel good. I don't believe it's possible to be content without being good. That's the karma I believe.

• 6 months later...

Karma makes much better sense when you count in the notion that we are all one.

It's a bit like peeing in a pool, eventually it dissolves, but you're stille swimming in your own piss!

• 5 weeks later...

I don't go for the instant action/reaction definition of Karma but life is always smoother and easier if you generally treat people in the way that you would expect to be treated by them.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe in Karma. One reason is that as time goes by, the Earth is more populated. Where would all these new souls come from, then, if not recycling each other? What we call sins are essential for survival, e.g. killing to feed yourself, to protect yourself...I wonder how a species would survive only being good within its environment. This would be grounds for its own extinction.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't believe in Karma. One reason is that as time goes by, the Earth is more populated. Where would all these new souls come from, then, if not recycling each other? What we call sins are essential for survival, e.g. killing to feed yourself, to protect yourself...I wonder how a species would survive only being good within its environment. This would be grounds for its own extinction.

a possible solution to the first problem could be that reincarnation does not need to happen sequentially in time. if you could be reborn 500 years in the future or 1000 years in the past, then the change in population is not a problem anymore. heck, we could be just one soul (or non-soul if we want to use the buddhist rather than hindu view), that goes through all these different lives and then finally becomes reborn as an indian prince 2500 years ago ;).

the buddhist solution to that, is that animals don't have free will and "do good" by acting by their nature.

that said, i do believe only in a very western kind of karma. for me karma is the law of causality: if i drop a stone, it will fall down. if you piss a lot of people off then a lot of people will be pissed off and you won't make friends :).

reincarnation? i don't have the necessary knowledge to come to a conclusion here, so i don't know. let that be a surprise.

• 5 years later...