HUNAB KU WHATS THE VERDICT?

technosomy

So the cd's have been rolling in.....

first up, congratulations to all involved on this project, a huge success for me,especially for the people who have never had the privelage to hear this.

for all you who have never heard it what do you think?

for all you geriatrics who have heard and owned or own this (not the shitty mp3 that's been circulating) as that doesn't even count in my book.

what you think of the mastering?

personally i think zen has done a fantastic job, but face it the original mastering was pretty bad, but the difference is very noticeable, especially the top end, but all round.

packaging, artwork fantastic.

your thoughts?

He means the artist Hunab Ku, or what he really refers to is the recent remastered light re-issue (just 300 copies) of Magik Universe on a CD that despite being light when you hold it in your hand (or it may be heavy depending on your strength that particular minute, hour, day, week) actually holds a whole lot of tracks that are light, partially-light, semi-light, medium-light, heavy, deep and wide and maybe tall and each CD has something unique in that it's lightly or heavily numbered with a sticker on the front of the case.

They're available for sale on Discogs but if you're interested in purchasing you'd want to do so ASAP because they won't last long. I hope you get one if you're a passionate fan/collector. Here's the link:

http://www.discogs.com/Hunab-Ku-Magik-Universe-Remastered/release/3830536

There'll also be some available from Suntrip's website in the coming weeks. They may put samples up for it? Maybe not. If you like to collect CD's, like this artist and have some spare cash this might be an instance to just take the risk and purchase because these will probably go quite quickly initially (at their present price) and then in some instances be re-listed in the coming months at a much higher price by the greedy opportunists. With that said you'd probably get a quick re-sale if you did purchase and weren't happy.

It's pretty good! Better than what Schudt did with D5.

Indeed, I was pretty shocked how poor that one sounded when I played them head-to-head :(

Coming back to the Hunab Ku, I must admit I've never heard it before I bought the remaster and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I mean I kind of knew what to expect after Dimension 5 and Electron Wave albums, as the sound is very similar in places, e.g. sharp basslines, claps, 'big' atmospheres, 'woooshy' left/right sound effects, etc. Yet, I think from the three 'incarnations' this one sits best with me, even though (or maybe - because?) at times it borderlines of sounding Euro-trancey - very emotional, almost ethereal in some places, not afraid to use some big chord/key-changes. I'm very happy I bought it, and I only heard it 3-4 times so far.

One comment on the packaging - i fail to see the extra benefits of blue jewel case and this 'holographic' inlay; it's all to dark, to much blurry. It looks 10x better placed in regular 'white' jewel case and without the inlay, so those who have not managed to get CDs #1-100 should not worry about it :)

Indeed, I was pretty shocked how poor that one sounded when I played them head-to-head :(

You and me both. It sounds quite flat.

Coming back to the Hunab Ku, I must admit I've never heard it before I bought the remaster and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I mean I kind of knew what to expect after Dimension 5 and Electron Wave albums, as the sound is very similar in places, e.g. sharp basslines, claps, 'big' atmospheres, 'woooshy' left/right sound effects, etc. Yet, I think from the three 'incarnations' this one sits best with me, even though (or maybe - because?) at times it borderlines of sounding Euro-trancey - very emotional, almost ethereal in some places, not afraid to use some big chord/key-changes. I'm very happy I bought it, and I only heard it 3-4 times so far.

Yep! Very underrated, it's the pinnacle of trancy emotional goa sound. It's on the borderline so much.

One comment on the packaging - i fail to see the extra benefits of blue jewel case and this 'holographic' inlay; it's all to dark, to much blurry. It looks 10x better placed in regular 'white' jewel case and without the inlay, so those who have not managed to get CDs #1-100 should not worry about it :)

I liked the blue. It gives it a more of a collectors feeling, like Crop Circles green case. :P

I liked the blue. It gives it a more of a collectors feeling, like Crop Circles green case. :P

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't intend selling anything from my collection, so it's much less important for me.

the price is right, i will listen to the remastered version soon and give my thoughts.. cheers!

The price is right? I'm not too familiar with them, but I sought out some samples to listen to when I saw the announcement thread. Pretty good I guess, but not worth the price for me.

18 euro incl postage? are you kidding

very fair i reckon

you better listen to those samples again

Well, I actually stopped listening to the samples when I saw it was $23 (plus shipping of course, to the US). Maybe if I had more money than I do it would be worth it.

I find the CDs on Psyshop and Saiko and direct from Suntrip that are $13-$15 to be worth it.

Well, I actually stopped listening to the samples when I saw it was $23 (plus shipping of course, to the US). Maybe if I had more money than I do it would be worth it.

I find the CDs on Psyshop and Saiko and direct from Suntrip that are $13-$15 to be worth it.

dude it's worth it, don't be kicking yourself in few months or so when you start seeing this for 100 bucks plus

remember there are only 300

I never gave any attention to the original (although I did not had to listen to crappy mp3)

because indeed the mastering was lousy, devastating, very disappointing :(

They used some nice spiral melodies, it is talented as far as I remember.

This is a new chance to re-listen...