InnerSpace ‎– InnerSpace

Sideffect...

You mean that because we have 2, 3 releases per year only, we should keep our opinions shut ? Well, you said you have issues with reviews before. It is advisable, for you, to stop reading them. I can't see any use of a review section if opinions can't be emitted or if they have to be twisted to fit into this or that momentum.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest E-Mantra

You mean that because we have 2, 3 releases per year only, we should keep our opinions shut ? Well, you said you have issues with reviews before. It is advisable, for you, to stop reading them. I can't see any use of a review section if opinions can't be emitted or if they have to be twisted to fit into this or that momentum.

k..sry for post...

Guest neurogen

k..sry for post...

dont be sorry dude. he is kinda harsh tbh. i agree that we should be less picky and less analytical when it comes to neogoa but thats just my humble little opinion.. :)

at the same time i agree with procyon - haha - that we should be equal and fair.

ITS A PARADOX :o

Guest E-Mantra

well..im not pretending to be intelligent

but i dont allow u to say "cussing and cursing." as u dont know me at all

the funny thing is that i have 20 years of rave /techno/etc listening.and people from this other genres speaks about Music not about how bassline should sound or whatever...and i said only my point of view about this..if u're ofended by post just delete it ;) really

now shut up or a call a voodou priest to cast some spells lol

Hehe Procyon is a bit hard indeed, but I'm sure he meant it in a good way...

it has always been when listeners have enough goatrance they start over analyzing.

We had shaltu, crossing mind and then came Innerspace.

If Innerspace was the only goatrance/suntrip release this year people would praised cause they were hungry :)

I always try to listen to an album as it was my first, which is obvious impossible.

But it's a way of self reflecting that blends away the economic part of over satisfaction.

I had a hard time appreciating crossing mind in the beginning because I've listened to shaltu to many.

I knew that was the reason. When I listened to shaltu and goatrance entirely less Crossing mind grew on me.

It's typical for humans, we always want more (I-phone 5 etc...)

Sorry for the off topic, although it's note entirely off topic imo.

I've listened to innerspace yesterday evening again and it's sharp melodies did great in my head :)

But like I mentioned in my review this is goatrance that will do it's work on the dancefloor very well,

but is less interesting for listening at home. It has less depth then for example crossing mind.

Crossing mind creates more brain activity what is more amusing on headphones.

My imo, don't shoot me :)

I do apologize for my edgy words, I have this ugly natural 'talent' that needs to be dismantled till the moment I pass away.

But I think I am somehow right. Take a look at the review of "VA-Space of Power": it's rich, it makes the album itself so much more interesting. After reading some comments, I am sure some details that went unnoticed come to full light to some of us. A track that had no past, like the one from RD all of a sudden gets a direct connection to a UX work. And reviews, positive or negative, are important to keep a good work going on and a bad one to make some adjustments.

Mental Stream is a track from 2003. And I think the rest is also a collection of Joergs work of the last nine years. Iam not sure, but the InnerSpace track should the newest track of the album. In compare with the other tracks, this track sound very complex and have really more progression. Really nice work with the composition and evolution of the melodies. It has something special. This track is one of my alltime favs. :) I hope he does continue his 'new style' And Iam looking forward to new tracks from him!

Surface works very well with the 'old style' of InnerSpace. Ok, the main-melody loops a way to much, but there other elements of progression here, in example adding background melodies.

Its a good album, with good tracks and one amazing track: 7,5/10 :-)

PS: One of my friends love this album. I think he give a 9/10 or 10/10. He is a big Oldschool-Goa Fan. But he doesnt like all Suntrip-stuff. InnerSpace is one of his favorites and compares him with Filteria, who he also very likes.

Richpa, yes the InnerSpace Shaltu track is the whole reason I bought his album. For me that song was the best on the Shaltu compilation and I still enjoy it very much (in contrast to his other songs on his album).

E-Mantra, stop being analytical? If you are new to the genre then I think you would appreciate the album more but we've been listening to GOA since almost the beginning ('96). I think it's time that 'neo' GOA artists should come up with something new instead of copy pasting old work and/or continuing on the same road... But this is probably another discussion.. :)

I think it's time that 'neo' GOA artists should come up with something new instead of copy pasting old work and/or continuing on the same road... But this is probably another discussion.. :)

I think it's time that people should stop telling new goa artists what to do. Sorry for the off-topic but needed to get this off my chest.

Posted Image

Artist: InnerSpace

Title: InnerSpace

Label: Suntrip Records

Date: September, 2012

1. Mental Stream

2. Rising

3. DeepFlight

4. The Ground

5. Below

6. Surface

7.InnerSpace

8. Lost City

I got a package in the mail and it said Par Avion on it!

Posted Image

Yep, either my wife's custom bras have arrived (MMmmmm....boobies) or Mars has sent some aural candy my way.

2012 has been a good year for goa trance and the fine gentlemen at Suntrip aim to keep it that way. Having already released thick slices of melodic awesomeness with the compilation Shaltu and Crossing Mind's Inner Shift, they hit you this time with a limited edition release by InnerSpace. His self-titled track on Shaltu was a beast, but who is this guy? It's Jörg Schemczyk from Cologne and this is his debut album. The cover art is quite nice and was done by Mars and himself, so right off the bat the guy seems pretty talented. There is a water theme here with a quote from Sir Richard Branson on the inlay:

"There were more people on the moon, as in the infinite depths of the sea."

Posted Image

That sounds just like what some unmarried pompous douche that is drowning in hot double D tail would say. I hate you so much Richard Branson.

So I'm reading the opinions of what the masses (or the limited masses that give a sh*t to post here) and see that the natives are restless. The opinions of this seem to be quite varied. But before I sharpen the already razor sharp wit, let's take a listen and break it down for you. I mean, the wife's asleep it ain't like I'm gettin' any tonight anyway.

Alright. 5 times in a row. That's right you bastards, no sleep tonight. I go the extra mile for my craft.

Mental Stream- "Your mind...to my mind. Your thoughts...to my thoughts."

Layers of melodies, a nice break beat, non-cheesy sample....where's the f*cking problem? The twirl ratio is strong here as the final bit pulls it all together. You know what? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. A goa duck. Liked it.

Rising- The slight percussive hit here makes the beginning of the track for me. Simple yet effective. Juicy leads dance like water bubbles on a hot stove and they've got company. The break was good and then he launches right back into the same sequence. Ok, a bit samey, but be patient he changes things up for you. Because you need this. Need it.

Deepflight- Ok fasten the seat belts, this is a long one. But man is it worth it. Twisting leads gather like fiber optic cable on a superhighway. He incorporates a breakbeat in this one as well and it's just an evolving track that takes you along for the ride. Seriously, you can't dance to this?

Bullsh*t.

Posted Image

The Ground- "Seven Years in Deep Space."

This one packs some serious punch with lush effects and serious layers. You know how some tracks twist and turn and hit you from all sides? This isn't that one. Nope, this one pries your jaws open and stuffs itself down your throat.

Posted Image

"Tastes like a middle class tax cut bitches! Don't sleep on Barry-O!"

Below- This one starts out slower, but it eventually rises to a mid-tempo MFG style shuffle. Leads peek in from all sides and it's a groover.

Surface- If there was one track that I liked the least it would be this one. The first 3 and a half minutes bored the crap outta me, but he makes up for it if you're a little patient. Here is where I can see the validity of some of the complaints about sticking with one melody for too long. That said, it eventually becomes pretty powerful and regroups during the break. He's telling a long story when I was in the mood for...oh I dunno...a letter from Penthouse forum?

Innerspace- "What secrets do you have?"

This is the track from Shaltu that is just a brain shredder. F*cking fantastic.

Lost City- "At the foot of the continental shelf lies the stillest and flattest place on Earth."

Ethereal and very viscous it has all the makings of an eerie...ummm, lost city I guess? It's mid-tempo and for my money (I have no money) the most atmospheric track on the album. Bass sweeps growl, 303's snap, and I guess it's his version of a downtempo closer. Loved it.

I suppose you can make the argument that some of the tracks went on a little too long without enough variation. It's not as deep as Crossing Mind or E-Mantra. But let's not forget that this is dance music and that sequences are repeated all the time. But if the sequences are really f*cking cool, then yeah, hit me baby one more time. Sometimes I think people complain just to complain. It doesn't sound old school enough. It's not dark enough. There's too much urine in my coffee. What you've got here is another old-school sounding album that is heavy on melody and involuntary body movement. It's like there is a segment of the population that is like...like...

Posted Image

Yeah! Goa nazis!

It's the music that's important. Please understand that taste is subjective and mine is just one opinion. Wanna hear more negative reviews? Give me some music that I don't like. This isn't bad at all. Does it make you want to dance? Does it make you feel good? Do you get a smile when you hear it? I do, and if you like melodic goa trance then I think you will also.

Now if you'll f*cking excuse me, I just put one of my kids in the dryer and I don't think I put him on the gentle cycle. Where the f*ck are my pants? Hey, who are you? You're not my kid...

Get it at Suntrip!

Mdk

Sometimes I think people complain just to complain. It doesn't sound old school enough. It's not dark enough. There's too much urine in my coffee. What you've got here is another old-school sounding album that is heavy on melody and involuntary body movement. It's like there is a segment of the population that is like...like...

Posted Image

Yeah! Goa nazis!

It's the music that's important. Please understand that taste is subjective and mine is just one opinion. Wanna hear more negative reviews? Give me some music that I don't like.

So, let me get this right - people are entitled to review things as long as their "subjective taste" says it is good, but once they feel differently, they're suddenly becoming Goa nazis? Suntrip just "gave me the music I don't like" and I expressed my opinion saying so on page 1. Aren't you a bit hypocritical here? Apparently you should get some sleep next to your wife instead of writing reviews, if "melodies" in track #3 "gather like fiber optic cable on a superhighway" to you and that slight variations in kick-drum timing pass for "break-beat" in your book :)

So, let me get this right - people are entitled to review things as long as their "subjective taste" says it is good, but once they feel differently, they're suddenly becoming Goa nazis? Suntrip just "gave me the music I don't like" and I expressed my opinion saying so on page 1. Aren't you a bit hypocritical here? Apparently you should get some sleep next to your wife instead of writing reviews, if "melodies" in track #3 "gather like fiber optic cable on a superhighway" to you and that slight variations in kick-drum timing pass for "break-beat" in your book :)

Hi Antic! Thanks for the reply. You threw a lot at me so let me see if I can explain myself.

Obviously everyone is entitled to your opinion. Nobody's opinion should be dismissed or weighted greater than the next guy's. You didn't like it. That's cool I have zero problem with that. Know what I don't like? Milk.

2nd, my goal is to educate or entertain. Some people like reading a wall of text that is dry and boring. But a lot of people don't. That's why I try to be humorous and funny (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't).

3rd, I write how the music makes me feel. I apologize for not being a goa authority, but I'm just some guy with free time and a heavy dose of insomnia that loves this music. So I write reviews. My description of the melodies in track three is how it sounded to me all of them coming together in a tight bundle. By criticizing my review (which is fine) and telling me in a condescending tone that my opinion is wrong aren't you acting like a goa nazi?

4th, my comment wasn't directed at you. At nobody really. It goes to the collective that seem to take pleasure lately in blasting and being overly analytical about goa trance music produced today. But again you opinion is just as valid as the next guy's. I choose to take a different tack. It's music. It's not austerity measures for the Greek people. It's supposed to make you smile and conjure emotions and oh yeah...make you want to dance. It does that for me, but apparently not for you. And that is fine.

5th, I hope I'm explaining myself better, I'm not trying to attack you. Like I said, I'm just enjoying the music and writing how it made me feel. It ain't E-Mantra or Artifact303 or Portamento and I said so. But for me any time I hear the goa melodies come in I'm hooked. I'm easy to please. What can I tell you I have two kids and if they don't throw anything in the toilet I'm happy.

Lastly I know I should sleep with my wife, but she came to bed and said she couldn't sleep, so I put on HGTV (her favorite channel) and guess what? She fell asleep. But now I'm wide awake so I figured I would comment on Innerspace.

Keep those comments coming!

Mdk

@Trance2MoveU

Don't get me wrong - I really appreciate what you do for keeping the reviews section alive! However, apparently our ways of looking at music are way different - for me I can't enjoy the music on an emotional level if it's not good technically. By that I don't mean the sound quality ("production", "mastering"), but things like musical expertise in crafting the rhythm & melodies, chord progressions, overall arrangement, choice of sounds, effects, voice samples, etc. For me psychedelic trance is a notch above other 'techno' styles, as it is closer to 'real' music a'la rock, soul, jazz (bear with me...), etc., in that it's much more than just "repeated sequences" that "make you dance". Mind you, there's nothing inherently wrong in that kind of music, but it's not what I'm looking for in psychedelic trance and consequently that impacts the way I review it.

And don't get surprised if you get that kind of feedback if you start calling people Nazis only because they "complain" about something you liked, which in the end you know is down to personal preference - it's neither "educative" nor "entertaining".

I think it's time that people should stop telling new goa artists what to do. Sorry for the off-topic but needed to get this off my chest.

Maybe you should stop telling others what others should or should not do. (but let's stop going off-topic)

I think giving (positive/negative) feedback can help the artists. I do not write stuff just because I don't like the color blue or something.

I might be the only one who says maybe there are some changes needed. If 'new' GOA artists want to make the same tunes as ~17 years ago, who am I to stop them. Just one opinion of many.

You should all grow some sense of humor (like T2MU did), not take such good and entertaining things like music so damnnn seriously, and listen to some dark forest trance from time to time (if you wanna hear music without sweet melodies known since 1995).

Peace out!

Maybe you should stop telling others what others should or should not do. (but let's stop going off-topic)

I think giving (positive/negative) feedback can help the artists. I do not write stuff just because I don't like the color blue or something.

I might be the only one who says maybe there are some changes needed. If 'new' GOA artists want to make the same tunes as ~17 years ago, who am I to stop them. Just one opinion of many.

This is my LAST off-topic post in this thread and I apologize to Innerspace that the review thread for his album has turned into the same discussion that's been going on for years now. That's right, people have been saying that neo-goa artists should be more innovative since Filteria's Sky Input. That's what, 8 years now? I think the artists got the message by now. If it's still not innovative enough, maybe they don't care and just make the music they want to make? If they make the music they want to make and you don't like it, don't listen to it! And it's not, I repeat NOT my intention to say that no-one is entitled to their opinion. On the contrary, constructive criticism and especially detailed criticism is something an artist can actually do something with. But don't say that they should be 'more innovative' or that 'it all sounds the same'. It doesn't. And if you think it does, you should listen again, and again, and again, and again. If you do not want to go through that trouble because you think it sounds the same anyway, do.not.listentoit.

/RANT OUT

OT.: I haven't bought the cd yet (because I can't afford buying too many atm), but I LOVED the track on Shaltu and I really dig the samples too. Definitely going to buy it soon!

EDIT: This might seem like I am targeting you Goakhan, but I really am not. I have nothing against you, at all.

I see your point of view. You seem to have a good grasp of the music so if it is technically unappealing to you I can see why you didn't enjoy it. We agree that this is not the most psychedelic of musics, and I believe you yourself stated that this is not a bad release. So it seems that the only sticking point between us is the Nazi comment. Please understand it was not directed at you, but at the masses who continue to offer the same criticisms of the new brand of artists. It seems that lately every thread I opened was critical of these guys. The same complaints over and over. It's just music. Enjoy it for what it is.

But please continue to comment as I'm sure every artist loves feedback good or bad.

Mdk

EDIT: This might seem like I am targeting you Goakhan, but I really am not. I have nothing against you, at all.

No offence taken IronSun. Don't get me wrong I love goa trance very much and it is still my favourite music genre. But there is a but. Personally I feel it needs something new indeed. Because I've listened to goa trance so much and for so long I feel it needs to 'move' on, add new elements, explore new territories etc..I love this music and I do not want to let it go if you know what I mean..The melodies might be different but the structure, build ups of the songs are almost all the same. It's like eating a bunch of your favourite chocolate too often and too much :)

You should all grow some sense of humor (like T2MU did), not take such good and entertaining things like music so damnnn seriously, and listen to some dark forest trance from time to time (if you wanna hear music without sweet melodies known since 1995).

Peace out!

How you got to the conclusion that not liking particular new-school goa release and having sense of humor are two exclusive things is beyond my comprehension! When you be my age you'll understand that there's no time in life for bad entertainment and guess what - the review section is exactly for that: to warn people to not expect great things from something that's merely average, so that they could spend their time & money somewhere else.

(...)people have been saying that neo-goa artists should be more innovative since Filteria's Sky Input. That's what, 8 years now? I think the artists got the message by now. If it's still not innovative enough, maybe they don't care and just make the music they want to make? If they make the music they want to make and you don't like it, don't listen to it!(...)

Believe me, if there were no interesting and innovative releases in this sub-genre, then I'd be long gone onto something else. But the truth is there are - just to mention Crossing Mind, Artifact303, Portamento, Artha, E-Mantra, Ra, the whole 'nitzhonot' sound (Agneton, Alienapia, etc...) and others. But this release is simply not it. It was average on the V/A "Shaltu" and the full album is more of the same: derivative, formulaic me-too neogoa which is great if you buy everything and is annoying if - like me - you expected more from supposedly "limited edition" album from established label like Suntrip.

For me psychedelic trance is a notch above other 'techno' styles, as it is closer to 'real' music a'la rock, soul, jazz (bear with me...), etc., in that it's much more than just "repeated sequences" that "make you dance". Mind you, there's nothing inherently wrong in that kind of music, but it's not what I'm looking for in psychedelic trance and consequently that impacts the way I review it.

It would be more appropriate to switch techno with electronica or just electronic-dance music - EDM term. Not saying that because I disagree with your state here, I'm just saying that because I find pretty much a lot of nowdays techno music more innovative and more familiar with the feelings that you find in a real 'music' as you say, such as rock/soul or jazz. Sub-genres such as deep/progressive/tech house or techno got a lot to offer if you're looking for some 'real feelings', and I'm saying that as a guy who actually like and live Goa trance music on daily basis.