5.Below

6.Surface

7.InnerSpace

8.Lost City

Mastered At – 4CN Studios

Artwork – Jörg Schemczyk, Fabien Mars

Mastered By – Tim Schuldt

Written-By, Producer – Jörg Schemczyk

From starters let's be honest. This is Goatrance as we experienced back/around 1997.

A good solid baseline with one major sound that overshadows the entire release.

The production is almost perfect. Not a bad word about quality comes to my mind listening

to this debut. The mastering of Tim Schuldt is probably one of the reasons why this sounds

so crystal clear and mature. This is goatrance whether you like it or not. If you like it's main sound

you shall like the entire album (what is often the case with Goatrance I know, but you know what I mean ;) ),

if not. Feel free to listen to something else, don't bother :-)))

Already at the beginning I notice that Innerspace has done his homework so he can provide typical goatrance elements

what I applause. The baselines is compared to other new talent goatrance artist influenced by fullon or fullon minded.

The strength is pretty ok and it's good enough to compete. The kick goes front to back what creates

that happy joy joy goa feeling, Let's all dance in the forest, naked, like freaks :D ,

Highly motivated we slip into trance and that will do it's work on the dance floor

or in your apartment (hoping the neighbors aren't home). The same counts for the melodies. Innerspace seems to enjoy

playing his sound in all kind of directions. The term, "goatrance that speaks" comes to my mind. If he continues producing

like that he'll become a master of melodies. Those are not just melodies but psychedelic melodies. Lovely satisfaction.

Besides that Mister Schemczyk spent time creating a decent atmosphere. It's not all about euphoric but in the background

there's a constant atmosphere that keeps me going and provides a certain flow.

Major plus in this album is the use of little psychedelic sounds. We all know when psytrance became mainstream the use of shorter

sounds travelling in our speakers from left to right became very important. Innerspace combined that in some tracks and I must say

it tastes delicious. Suntrip often get's the comment that it's releases are to many based on morning trance or how should I express that.

Well Innerspace is compared to others a bit different. We can discuss about that later but you will notice that this music could be played

just before the sun rises at dawn.

Mental stream is a great opening. The pattern of its melodies creates brain activity and is imo a very original melody, well done my friend.

Rising is a bit slower, but like the title, it does rise. A decent track with squeaky psychedelic melodies.

Deepflight keeps the level of production at the same quality. Excellent! The ground is a bit less. Innerspace chooses

longer layers and less action what isn't entirely my taste but it's still ok. Below is a downtempo track. Not pretty sure

what this track is doing at number 5 but part of that, it's thought trough and can be good to close a party/dj set. Surface is the perfect

example what I meant about the use of psychedelic sounds and good atmosphere. The building is complete and is until now one of my favorites.

Innerspace is a track we all know from the compilation shaltu and needs no introduction. It's a top track and I can't get enough from that spiral @ minute 9, 10/10.

Lost city is an ambient/downtempo track that's ok but I'm no a fan of ambient closing tracks and never will so I'll leave it up to you guys.

Hope you liked this short first review, I'm sure more detailed will follow...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this album is brilliant! Sure, it's not exactly subtle. All the elements in the mix are right there, nothing too trancey about this release, but Innerspace's strength comes purely from the energy each track contains, especially those wicked break beats. His style is intense, trippy, deep, and positively fun. Innerspace definitely knows how to produce and this album is a great 70+ minute journey from start to finish. Highly recommended.

You are right about the original Goatrance feeling of the album: I know InnerSpace personally very well - he focuses on using classic sounds and synthesizers, that are typical for the 90s Goa productions. Also his songwriting bases on typical patterns from this area, however, he adds his very own touch to it (as you already know)!

InnerSpace already works on new material, but he will take the time he needs. - If you visited the Psychedelic Wild West party, you could already experience two unreleased tracks during his live set!

Guest neurogen

FANTASTIC ALBUM!!!

WOOOOOW.. my mind is blown from this.

NEOGOA POWER

will never die

Thank you Mars and crew for making this avaliable to us

I like his goa sounds but almost all of his songs are build up in the same way and have the same structure (one melody left one melody right). The melodies in his songs also go on for too long...It gets very repetitive.

Structure/buildup variation and changes would have made the album more memorable...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care much for this one tbh. It has its moments here and there but most of the songs have very similar sounds going on in it which gets repetitive quickly. My favorite track is the ground

6.5/10

Guest neurogen

I don't care much for this one tbh. It has its moments here and there but most of the songs have very similar sounds going on in it which gets repetitive quickly. My favorite track is the ground

6.5/10

I agree. At first glance (and when drunk mind you) it sounded really awesome.

But ive already grown tired of this.

Still my comment is valid, i love the fact that music like this is spawned upon the earth!

Correct, that's what a lot of goatrance artist did back in the 90's, one sound, one album...

The list of artist with that approach to goatrance is huge and to be honest

I like that once and a while. Old is gold :)

But it has it downsides, at the end of the album I've had enough of it, true...

Correct, that's what a lot of goatrance artist did back in the 90's, one sound, one album...

The list of artist with that approach to goatrance is huge and to be honest

I like that once and a while. Old is gold :)

But it has it downsides, at the end of the album I've had enough of it, true...

Well, I guess it's not just the fact that it is so homogeneous, because a lot of great albums are. The problem with this CD is that it's so cliche, boring and predictable, with very simplistic melodies, plain sounds, lackluster arrangements and poor development of the tracks - they're far too long long, with instances when nothing happens (changes) for 1-2 minutes, which is unforgivable - this is supposed to be psychedelic trance, where you drift away on waves of interweaving kaleidoscopic layers & patterns. Maybe I was spoiled recently by the likes of Crossing Mind, Portamento, Space Elves and VA Space of Power, but this album is simply lacking quality. Now I understand why it was only printed in 300 copies...

3/5 on a good day.

Guest neurogen

Well, I guess it's not just the fact that it is so homogeneous, because a lot of great albums are. The problem with this CD is that it's so cliche, boring and predictable, with very simplistic melodies, plain sounds, lackluster arrangements and poor development of the tracks - they're far too long long, with instances when nothing happens (changes) for 1-2 minutes, which is unforgivable - this is supposed to be psychedelic trance, where you drift away on waves of interweaving kaleidoscopic layers & patterns. Maybe I was spoiled recently by the likes of Crossing Mind, Portamento, Space Elves and VA Space of Power, but this album is simply lacking quality. Now I understand why it was only printed in 300 copies...

3/5 on a good day.

although i respect everyones opinion that was a bit harsh. But at least you gave it 3/5. From your "review" it sounded like 1/10.

I do agree on most parts, my first impression of this cd was WOW cus i listened to about 3 minutes of each track. But then after a few listens it felt like just one long track.. So i really changed my mind on this..

But i dont think we should be that harsh, its a wonderful thing, even if there is alot better neogoa atm

although i respect everyones opinion that was a bit harsh. But at least you gave it 3/5. From your "review" it sounded like 1/10.

I do agree on most parts, my first impression of this cd was WOW cus i listened to about 3 minutes of each track. But then after a few listens it felt like just one long track.. So i really changed my mind on this..

But i dont think we should be that harsh, its a wonderful thing, even if there is alot better neogoa atm

Maybe - but I am thoroughly disappointed with it. Also, please notice I've not used the word 'bad', because it is not 'bad' - it's just highly predictable, derivative and boring. I can put it on and it evokes no emotion, it just plays without leaving any impression whatsoever. It's perfectly interchangeable. It would be 1/5 or 'bad' if it had cheesy samples/singing/guitars, with false sounding melodies, amateurish sound-design, terrible production, awful cover, etc. I'm already long past that phase when each new neogoa CD was a celebration, because it started to be (relatively, of course) mass-produced and the consequence is obviously drop in average quality. I mean even Suntrip themselves doubted its success, deciding for this quasi limited edition thing...

BTW, I tend to stick to below rating scale

5/5 - perfect, timeless classic, everyone should buy it

4/5 - very good, top of respective sub-genre, worth buying

3/5 - average, buy if you're into particular sub-genre, otherwise you're not losing anything

2/5 - bad, buy if you're a collector, otherwise spend your money elsewhere

1/5 - avoid even if it's free :)

Guest neurogen

Maybe - but I am thoroughly disappointed with it. Also, please notice I've not used the word 'bad', because it is not 'bad' - it's just highly predictable, derivative and boring. I can put it on and it evokes no emotion, it just plays without leaving any impression whatsoever. It's perfectly interchangeable. It would be 1/5 or 'bad' if it had cheesy samples/singing/guitars, with false sounding melodies, amateurish sound-design, terrible production, awful cover, etc. I'm already long past that phase when each new neogoa CD was a celebration, because it started to be (relatively, of course) mass-produced and the consequence is obviously drop in average quality. I mean even Suntrip themselves doubted its success, deciding for this quasi limited edition thing...

BTW, I tend to stick to below rating scale

5/5 - perfect, timeless classic, everyone should buy it

4/5 - very good, top of respective sub-genre, worth buying

3/5 - average, buy if you're into particular sub-genre, otherwise you're not losing anything

2/5 - bad, buy if you're a collector, otherwise spend your money elsewhere

1/5 - avoid even if it's free :)

You are right. I cant argue with your logic.. :)

Just curious, why wouldn't you play it as a DJ? This stuff sounds like it would be great and would work well with a variety of other songs. Take out the melodies, and I would likely mistake this album for full on.

I don't know any other DJ who picks up his playlist like I do, my parameter is bassline, solely. I am not a musician, but I have enough dancefloor experience to understand that what makes people dance is the subwoofer frequency, the one you can barely hear, but it's the one that makes your body move. And the bassline that makes people dance is what some call "galloping". As a non-writer I perceive it as a three-step bassline.

Here's what I play:

Artha-Mahabharta (full version)

Note that the bassline sounds like THU-THu-thu/THU-THu-thu/THU-THu-thu....

while Innerspace bassline sounds like thu-thu-thu-thu-thu.....

Pardon my French for the thu-thu thing, but it's only way I can illustrate what I can't describe musically :(

Haha that's ok. Sometimes that's how you have to describe this music. :) Mahabharta is a great song by the way, I lost track of how many times I listened to that one last summer and now you've given me reason to go listen to it another 30 times. I totally agree with you on the bassline. The kick has a fairly long decay down to the sub frequencies while the bassline sits slightly above it with a nice tight roll off the kicks.

Haha that's ok. Sometimes that's how you have to describe this music. :) Mahabharta is a great song by the way, I lost track of how many times I listened to that one last summer and now you've given me reason to go listen to it another 30 times. I totally agree with you on the bassline. The kick has a fairly long decay down to the sub frequencies while the bassline sits slightly above it with a nice tight roll off the kicks.

Yes, Mahabharta is one of the top 5 neogoa trance tracks, IMO. I use it as a "emergency track": when I see people leaving the dancefloor, I play it, and everybody comes running back!

The kick has a fairly long decay down to the sub frequencies while the bassline sits slightly above it with a nice tight roll off the kicks.

Well, I didn't understand what you wrote but I agree :D

I would not play it as a DJ, but it's much better than Innershift album - which received largely positive reviews here in Psynews. Well, critics are something personal.

Innershift is in another league compared to this album... and most of artha's tracks :- /

I also got the feeling we are bit comparing apples with oranges.

And the statement leaving the melodies behind and it could be just fullon seems a bit strange to me,

considering almost all latest goatrance artist use stronger baselines.

the same counts for filteria, Artifact303 etc if you broaden that statement.

Guest neurogen

I don't know any other DJ who picks up his playlist like I do, my parameter is bassline, solely. I am not a musician, but I have enough dancefloor experience to understand that what makes people dance is the subwoofer frequency, the one you can barely hear, but it's the one that makes your body move. And the bassline that makes people dance is what some call "galloping". As a non-writer I perceive it as a three-step bassline.

Here's what I play:

Artha-Mahabharta (full version)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RySvpOdu_c

Note that the bassline sounds like THU-THu-thu/THU-THu-thu/THU-THu-thu....

while Innerspace bassline sounds like thu-thu-thu-thu-thu.....

Pardon my French for the thu-thu thing, but it's only way I can illustrate what I can't describe musically :(

hmm. Thats your opinion. but you say it as its definite. "that is what makes people dance"

It is not at all what makes ME dance :P

Guest E-Mantra

i think u all started to analyse too much the tracks..really:)

bassline is in one way...leads are other way...blah blah..

my point of view is this..thats a good album..and yes we all know old is gold..but when u have 2-3 newschool releases per year ..dont be so

analytical..