Amon Tobin

Panoptes

I have recently grown fond of Amon Tobin's work. He has evolved from a "sample only" artist into one who implements plenty of synthesis as well. Not to mention his mastery of granular synthesis and the stage he has been touring with the past two years or so. You can see a preview of his concert on his website and youtube. I saw Isam 1.0 but now he is back with 2.0 (bigger stage(i think), some different music, visuals, and so on) which I'm going to see on the 17th in philly

www.Amontobin.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fr-3dC9CuSo

What do you guys think?

My favorite tracks are:

Stoney Street

At the end of the day

delpher

Esther's

Slowly(isam live mix)

wooden toy

I always loved Amon Tobin's music. He's a great artist for sure and he inspire me a lot... Esther's is unbelievable, moreover the short film made around the tune is very nice (

).

There's too much good pieces from AT, but I think my favorites are : Slowly, Nightlife, Journeyman, Piece of paper, Bloodstone, Theme from battery, creatures, easy muffin... :)

• 1 month later...

Just recently bought some of his albums because of this forum thread. Incredible! Don't know how I haven't checked his music out before. My favourite songs of his so far are "Stoney Street" and "Journeyman". Anyone have some other amazing tracks of his that i should hear?

• 2 weeks later...

Searchers, Verbal, Nightlife Yasawas, Esther'S, Horsefish,four ton mantis, keep your distrance, Big furry head, always, Lost & Found, might micro people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afeZpknkiAc

From his side project two finters I recommend: Sweden, Fools Rhythm, stripe rhythm, 101 south, Deep Jinx, Smurf(feat. Brefontaine), Stude( feat. Peedi Crack and Chinko Da Great)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All Amon Tobin uses is samples. What are you talking about? Unless you mean samples from records specifically. Foley Room is ALL samples that he collected himself on a months long trip travelling and sample collecting with 2 high end matched mics and a portable reel-to-reel. In fact, I remember reading an interview where he talks about rarely using synths, as he creates all his sounds from already made sounds. Amon Tobin is the lord and master of sampling. Dude is amazing. His sampling abilities are what makes him so ridiculous.

The Two Fingers project is awesome. The first album was better as the beats had vocalists on top. The 2nd album is cool, but it gets kind of boring without any vocals.

Also, Happy Mushroom, you're from Philly? So are we! Well, sorta. Slice Two still lives there, but Slice One has moved on to NYC.

That's the thing - from my recollection, he still really doesn't use synthesis in the normally understood way. I don't think he's creating synth patches and such. I think he's just massively processing already collected samples. I guess that could be considered synthesis. Regardless, whatever he's doing, it's ridiculously amazing and I'm glad to see psy-heads enjoying his massive works.

Peep this video: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/05/02/amon-tobin-making-sounds-for-isam/

Woah! Looks really nice, hopefully there will be some kind of European tour as well, would love to see that wall of colours with his music!

He is a pretty unique and versatile artist, thanks for posting this!

He did actually, I went to the ISAM show in Brussels 2 years ago. It was fantastic!

That's the thing - from my recollection, he still really doesn't use synthesis in the normally understood way. I don't think he's creating synth patches and such. I think he's just massively processing already collected samples. I guess that could be considered synthesis. Regardless, whatever he's doing, it's ridiculously amazing and I'm glad to see psy-heads enjoying his massive works.

Peep this video: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/05/02/amon-tobin-making-sounds-for-isam/

He is just using Alchemy, a granular synthsizer. Its sample based but I find it hard not to call it synthesis. Also listen to Two fingers his side project

He is just using Alchemy, a granular synthsizer. Its sample based but I find it hard not to call it synthesis. Also listen to Two fingers his side project

Two Fingers is awesome. The first album was more enjoyable than the 2nd, IMO, since it had rappers on it. That shit is ridiculous.

I see where we're differing in our definition of synthesis. I can agree with you mostly, but I think I'll always see him as a sample-based artist.