How can we make Psynews more active? Post your ideas/opinions.

Ormion

The REVIEW section is a great area to post Free music links to the albums that are reviewed. This can be a wonderful section for people ti discover, download, and read comments on new / old Psytrance tunes. Heres the thing... way more people like to listen to the music rather than talk about it on an online forum. If we type in the artist name and album name into google, it Psynews is the first thing to pop up! Revieweres should include beautiful album art, track details, and download links.

Completly Agree !

Btw is there any list of all the people who are still making Review ? Just to see if we're a lot or not ;)

Completly Agree !

Btw is there any list of all the people who are still making Review ? Just to see if we're a lot or not ;)

90% of our reviews are made by Trance2MoveU. God bless him.

I wish I could write some reviews again, but somehow I miss the energy to do it. I'll try.

Ektoplazm supports this website greatly and I think it would be a good idea to combine forces. Ektoplazm receives more traffic than any other online psycheledic trance community. This is mainly because the website has an incredible amount of free music, constant update, and sexy design. What would happen if we corresponded Psynews reviews and culture with Ektoplazm? It would give people a chance to discuss new albums, read reviews, and come together.

I love psynews because it gives a face to the music I listen to. I want to know who listens to it, what they think of it, and what expressions, passions, ideals, cultural advancements, and much more has risen from it. Ektoplazm is the best area for people to discover this site since that is where everyone is going currently.

It's like placing a giant advertisement in New York City,

I attempted awhile back to link the review section (it might have been reviews that I made or reviews of the music found on Ekto) by contacting Basilisk, but this was right at the time where Ekto was undergoing its evolution so he had his hands full.

It's a great idea that I still support. Wouldn't hurt to contact him and float the idea by him again.

Mdk

• 5 weeks later...

The last few inputs are something well worth to consider. Thanks for the contribution.

Can't say anything more definite at the time as I have merely been thinking about that right now myself, just reading the input, but I do say that I like the idea aswell -- and a lot too.

We'll discuss it with the people involved and we'll get back to it, that's what I can say :)

And one thing to notice - during Mars's crackdown on OT forum back in the days left many long time members, many of whom were the most active here both in OT and in general forum, feeling like this is not the nice and not-overly moderated place it used to be. After all that people lost interest in this place, without OT there were only general discussions where you had to comply to one rule - talk only about psytrance or be warned/moderated/banned. Thats what started this downward spirale of this forum.

Big part of contributing members left this forum so it started to look like half abandoned place with no fun activities, far too many of them didnt come back ever and are now part of other online forum/forums.

With years many folks over here and over there lost interest in banging psytrance into their ears 24/7, some got busy with life. LIfe goes on, people move on, thats how it is.

I can't stress this enough. The OT section is, or used to be, the main attraction. Psytrance/Music was a secondary thing, but still a common denominator why people flocked to the site (and clearly still do) in the first place, including me. But as reger mentioned, a lot of members have moved on since then and some ''new blood'' would definitely do this site good.

A ''collaboration'' with Ektoplazm sounds like a great idea and a good start, as well the idea of having a multilingual section. If the latter ever becomes reality, I'm willing to offer help and moderation in a hungarian (my native tongue) section, although my knowledge is somewhat limited these days. However, I honestly don't know how big the scene is over there or how much traffic hungarians make up to justify such section. But if goatrance.hu and its forum (http://forum.goa.hu/) enjoy plenty of activity, as far as I can tell, I'm fairly sure it would eventually do it here as well.

As for promoting the site in general and on Facebook, if the free compilation ever sees light (if it already has, then excuse me :blush: - it's an old topic), you could ask pages such as Goa Trance and several other psytrance related pages on Facebook to share it included with a link to Psynews, of course. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I cannot think of anything more at the moment.

Either way, whatever you guys decide, I wish you and this site all the best.

As for promoting the site in general and on Facebook, if the free compilation ever sees light (if it already has, then excuse me :blush: - it's an old topic), you could ask pages such as Goa Trance and several other psytrance related pages on Facebook to share it included with a link to Psynews, of course. Just a thought.

That's a good idea indeed ! Things go fast on facebook, so it could help psynew get more known.

As being a new reviewer I do all my possible in order to help psynew having a nice base of review. I think this is also something important ; when looking for an album on google, you sometime fall on psynew, on a thread about the review of the album you were looking for. That's a great thing in my opinion.

In my opinion there should be website or magazine only dedicated to album's review.

The problem with Psynews.org and almost every other (once) succesful music forum is that everything has been discussed to death. I know several other forums that have suffered the same fate. Once you've uncovered the entire genre all you've got left is news and maybe some critical analysis. Most people here doesn't seem to be interested in either. So yeah... There's really not much you can do about it.

The problem with Psynews.org and almost every other (once) succesful music forum is that everything has been discussed to death. I know several other forums that have suffered the same fate. Once you've uncovered the entire genre all you've got left is news and maybe some critical analysis. Most people here doesn't seem to be interested in either. So yeah... There's really not much you can do about it.

pretty much this till another subgenre comes along which spawns both lovers and haters alike. psynews has been more about GOA than other subgenres so there is anyway not much scope for discussion because of the limited no of releases unless there is a topic about darkspy every 3 months or so :P

pretty much this till another subgenre comes along which spawns both lovers and haters alike. psynews has been more about GOA than other subgenres so there is anyway not much scope for discussion because of the limited no of releases unless there is a topic about darkspy every 3 months or so :P

haven't we had like 3 topics about darkspies this month alone? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Though I love the dignity everyone carries I think that the stuff stated above is exceptionally valid.

Ektoplazm is beyond anything I could imagine... thusly I have yet to "plug in"

Psynews with its associate suntrip connections...

Seriously guys... get on it. I know you like each other, doesn't matter if you are from Toronto or some suburb of belgium.

Whatever, you are on the same level the same vibration... and I'm drunk writing this so you are not gonna listen anyway...

First of all what do we want to work out. Ektoplazm work as intended... nothing to do there... Suntrip works as intended nothing to do there...

What is this Ekto-Trip thing going on?

• 2 weeks later...

What about an internal music contest on psynews, where people of the forum votes for the best pieces in order to make a free compilation like "psynews best music", so it can be distributed on a big platform like ektoplazm and promote the website.

It could also be a way to mix several genres on a single album. Not just psy, just goa, just dark, just whatever... Just best quality music :)

I agree...but what is happening to the goa/psytrance scene is just like goa trance sort of died out in the late 90's.The problem is that it is not advertised enough like the way pop is in the uk or else where & also you get a lot of people that just follow the hype & know nothing about what good music is...in my opinion a lot on early goatrance stuff was great & my brother loved it first time he heard it..from DRAGONFLY RECORD & TIP WORLD...But there started to be a lot of crap stuff that started flooding the place,which I think

also had a lot to do with it.So you had to dig through the crap to find the real treasures.But for me YOUTUBE was a great place to find out about new goa or psytrance or nitzhonot stuff which was new or old I'd never heard before...That is how I discovered a lot of great stuff from suntrip records & phototropic records & it is good to see artists like cosmosis & astral projection or Miranda & some of the other early members continuing to release stuff...But I like the FULL MELODIC GOA/PSYTRANCE stuff & it has also influenced me into this style of music...Check out GNN:UNIVERSALSOUND on the web or youtube & tell me what yous think...which would be great.

• 9 years later...

@RTP I have a suggestion, I think the review forum and consequently the forum as a whole would benefit from putting the entire review section, within a dedicated menu button/forum section, where the news section or promo sections currently are. That way the reviews would the focal point, which they should be. And people would more likely browse something, that is the first thing they see when entering the site.

As it is now how are people even gonna notice any new posts in the sprawling separate year sections? That way, any new post within the separate years sections,would become visible as a new post for the entire forum section. Same way it is now for example for the offtopic section. 

As it is now, one has to either look at the new posts tab, which I personally never do. Or scroll down the entire lenght of this huge forum, and manually locate anything new. Which is a very dedicated action, I think few people do. I approach this from a GUI/design perspective.

As it is now, there is a tendency towards the earlier year sections, naturally getting lower exposure due to beeing placed at the bottom. I.E a long time to scroll too. Certainly when browsing on a mobile phone.

Well it is getting a bit out of hand since time keeps going on and we're creating new yearly sections. Maybe we need to just start merging anything post 2020 since we have so few threads in them anyway.

But regards on configuring the forum user interface, I don't think anyone of us is a developer or can do custom coding complex enough to start adding features. I'll see what I can do in the admin panel.

Edit:

What you mean by how offtopic works? It doesn't work the way you describe it, it doesn't pull content from the subforums.

Editx2:
If you click on the reviews header before the year sections it'll give you a list where you get the most recent posts
https://www.psynews.org/forums/forum/16-reviews/

Editx3:
I added latest reviews block on top of the forum, dunno if that helps at all.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Penzoline said:

Well it is getting a bit out of hand since time keeps going on and we're creating new yearly sections. Maybe we need to just start merging anything post 2020 since we have so few threads in them anyway.

But regards on configuring the forum user interface, I don't think anyone of us is a developer or can do custom coding complex enough to start adding features. I'll see what I can do in the admin panel.

Edit:

What you mean by how offtopic works? It doesn't work the way you describe it, it doesn't pull content from the subforums.

Editx2:
If you click on the reviews header before the year sections it'll give you a list where you get the most recent posts
https://www.psynews.org/forums/forum/16-reviews/

Editx3:
I added latest reviews block on top of the forum, dunno if that helps at all.

Looks good, and functions as I imagined it! Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...