How can we make Psynews more active? Post your ideas/opinions.

Ormion

I think something that could bring in more psytrance orientated people, is focusing much more on the party aspect of this site. At the end of the day, a lot of listeners go to parties and want to know about the latest parties and festivals. There could be 2 or 3 people just focusing on adding these to the website. Adding all underground raves might not be a good idea. But I think all festivals can be added, also in smaller countries.

Psynews will be the place to be when looking for the latest parties in your region. Also people can share there experiences this way. Once there are some experiences on the internet already, it is more likely for people to sign up since they want to add there point of view.

Also different sections could be made. When you do this, people that are a big fan of a subgenre will look in to this section all the time and post new stuff. So with a lot of different genres, thats a lot of people. And as we know with psytrance some type of genres can be totally different then the other.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, you should have sections by languages: here in Brazil the vast majority of psy fans can't type English decently, and we don't have a good Brazilian forum (there was Baladaplanet.com.br, but the mods let it get virused to a point you could not post or read anything). So, after BP died, most went to Facebook. You could have sections in Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and French and whatever languages asked. They would not interact with the main forum because of language barrier, but if you want numbers, that could be a solution.

For the love of killargh shanti baba beats - NO!

Thats a mess, unless you register br/ru/etc domains and let those forums to be run by locals.

Ill update my thoughts when Im through this thread, Im tired and dont want to miss anything, hence why replied to your post.

Interesting ideas CoLoUr DoTZ.

+1

I've seen comments like this a lot in the time I've been here. Psynews definitely isn't dedicated to goa trance over other styles, the only reason it's talked about more here is because the users do so. Psynews can't be more diverse if fans of more diverse styles don't speak up.

+2

And one thing to notice - during Mars's crackdown on OT forum back in the days left many long time members, many of whom were the most active here both in OT and in general forum, feeling like this is not the nice and not-overly moderated place it used to be. After all that people lost interest in this place, without OT there were only general discussions where you had to comply to one rule - talk only about psytrance or be warned/moderated/banned. Thats what started this downward spirale of this forum.

Big part of contributing members left this forum so it started to look like half abandoned place with no fun activities, far too many of them didnt come back ever and are now part of other online forum/forums.

With years many folks over here and over there lost interest in banging psytrance into their ears 24/7, some got busy with life. LIfe goes on, people move on, thats how it is.

I think something that could bring in more psytrance orientated people, is focusing much more on the party aspect of this site. At the end of the day, a lot of listeners go to parties and want to know about the latest parties and festivals. There could be 2 or 3 people just focusing on adding these to the website. Adding all underground raves might not be a good idea. But I think all festivals can be added, also in smaller countries.

Psynews will be the place to be when looking for the latest parties in your region. Also people can share there experiences this way. Once there are some experiences on the internet already, it is more likely for people to sign up since they want to add there point of view.

don't we have already a section like this? of course you could make it more "attractive" or "visible", but i think with goabase there is already a site especially for this and i find it well done. party information and travel talk don't have to be visible for everyone and all the time.

i think focusing in what were the first intentions of this forum are more helpful than expanding it over things that are already covered.

what caught me here in the first place is also the review section which became quite thin over the years. what about to open it for guest users? CoLoUr DoTZ made some good proposals in this direction too. this could also be very helpful for the best of polls.

in the end, the best way to attract more people is good-placed attractive advertising. cooperation with other psytrance or even other electronic music related forums, web pages, netlabels, artists .. could be helpful.

Guest neurogen

Also different sections could be made. When you do this, people that are a big fan of a subgenre will look in to this section all the time and post new stuff. So with a lot of different genres, thats a lot of people. And as we know with psytrance some type of genres can be totally different then the other.

Not true. The bulk of the people who like Goa dont go to parties anymore. We are in our 30s and have different lives now.

* I would love for more Contests. Like a Psy contest, a Dark contest etc. Then release for free on Ektoplazm.

This would generate more traffic to the site.

Other than that, there is no magic trick to get more traffic... Psynews is here, and have been here for a looong time.. I browsed here back in early 2000s... Back when there was contests...

Sure, you could advertise all over the place.... but the "kids" these days, they dont even know what Goatrance is. All they know is Bieber and Skrillex - so forget about getting the kids to join...

Sad but true.

Also, the idea about splitting the forum up into languages... That might be the worst idea Ive ever heard for a community. Learn English FFS or go to another site.

Deviding a comminuty/forum up into languages is the worst thing you can do to a very small forum like this. It will be nail in the coffin.

Not true. The bulk of the people who like Goa dont go to parties anymore. We are in our 30s and have different lives now.

What is not true? A lot of people who listen to this music still go to parties. I agree that this doesn't go for everyone but in my opinion there are still a lot of people partying that like psytrance. This is proven once again at festivals and bigger parties. It might not be the music style that is represented the most at the moment, but I don't see how most people don't go to psytrance parties anymore. It changes with the generation and so does the type of music, it keeps evolving.

• 3 weeks later...

Most countries have their own psy forum and when it comes to parties, people prefer to debate their,

cause they know each other, met each other for the first time or can meet again.

On an international forum that is almost not the case...

I mostly agree with reger, it is what is, Psynews has developed along with the popularity of psytrance.

And that's fine by me... I even prefer the fact that psytrance isn't that popular anymore.

it has no influence on me at all (listening/interest)... And I like a smaller community like it was in the beginning...

But efforts to advertise psynews is a good idea... But I think I won't help that much.

Everybody has google, and can find psynews in one search...

So when people have the interest, they will find psynews...

• 2 months later...

I realize that this thread is a couple of months old, but I lurked for about a year before joining and probably six months more before really posting anything. That’s because I could access the reviews and much of the content without an account. I started posting because I want to be connected to people that have an interest in psytrance and goa. Unfortunately for me, there is nobody in my area that even remotely seems to know or appreciate this music. Even my wife and co-workers look strangely at me when I play it. In any case, I can’t say that I have the perfect solution. I agree with some of the above posts that much of what is going on now has been done before. You can only have so many “favorite album” or “what are you doing right now” threads before things become stale. However, I do like the idea of the free compilation, but I would certainly like to see more encouragement for music contribution, collaboration, and exhibition from past and current Psynews members across the site. Perhaps there could be some kind of energized focus on those types of contributions in a way that would encourage others to join, critique, and contribute.

AmishHacker

I guess many people are just reading and not posting,

If I notice members' profile how many views they have ...

Like mine for instance "Profile Views 14,514" which is not that much, and the fact I have only 4000 post,

I'm thinking, who are these people? How is it possible that I have > 3 times the amount of profile views then post,

Off course, some members check it regular, but I "think" that can't be enough...

I used to write a lot of reviews and input the latest months but there is not activity, feedback or response,

So after a while it's like talking to yourself :blink:

So I stopped...

We'll see how it goes, and a free release? With Ektoplazm, I don't think it will his a huge effect,

But it's a good idea ;)

EDIT:

The latest week when I quote somebody, there is no visible quote anymore,

only in in coding mode..

It's u luxuray problem, but I have it in Chrome, IE, firefox etc...

knipsel2a.jpg

knipsel1t.jpg

In case you didn't know ;)

Like mine for instance "Profile Views 14,514" which is not that much, and the fact I have only 4000 post,

I'm thinking, who are these people? How is it possible that I have > 3 times the amount of profile views then post,

Bots/crawlers?

Quoting seems to work fine for me in FF.

Bots/crawlers?

I don't know much about that...

Quoting seems to work fine for me in FF.

I've updated chrome and now it's everywhere the same, strange...

The BBcode still works, so that's ok, and also the reason why I changed my skin back to the original.

Cause otherwise I can't quote properly like I am doing now...

• 1 month later...

A few years ago, I worked for The Nine Inch Nails Hotline and we had great success by maintaining our front page with news on upcoming shows, events, and releases. Forums and chat were attached to the site, but were secondary. What about a dynamic front page to advertise upcoming releases and other psytrance/goa news for this page? A select group of contributors could post news and updates to that page. I realize that this is already done through the news forum, but perhaps the forum setup turns visitors away. As somebody said earlier, the web is being more sectionalized and I know a few people that are turned off by sites that are nothing but a collection of web forums.

AmishHacker

I like the idea, but I have no idea whether it's possible with the forum software, or whether enough people would be willing and able to maintain a front page. Nevertheless I'll mention your post to the mod team in case they missed it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a DJ, I feel this website is a critical area of musical culture that is destined to be discovered by psy artists and enthusiasts everywhere. As many posts here say, marketing is KEY. You can actually call Google and have them put your site on the top of the list when people search key terms like "Psychedelic Trance," "Psytrance". "Darkpsy," "Full-On," etc etc. Since these terms are likely not known by Google, I would guess it would be a very easy way to get everyone to start discovering our forums.

The REVIEW section is a great area to post Free music links to the albums that are reviewed. This can be a wonderful section for people ti discover, download, and read comments on new / old Psytrance tunes. Heres the thing... way more people like to listen to the music rather than talk about it on an online forum. If we type in the artist name and album name into google, it Psynews is the first thing to pop up! Revieweres should include beautiful album art, track details, and download links.

I am starting a scene in Arkansas currently with a user here. We will gladly advertise Psynews as a community to come and stay!