Live Performance Act in Goa Trance Genre

Hello,

What software/hardware/gear would/do you use for live performance acts?

Goa Trance uses so many different instruments playing different melodies and effects at the same time, most of the job has do be done by a machine! :ph34r:

What do you use for live P.A? How do you work?

Please share your tips, thoughts, and experience!

Thanks,

:wub:

Best software for most are Ableton Live and gear... what do you want and what you know to use?

As everyone know most of lives are fakes, just putting few FXs on midi and thats all but there are some really lives ofc... but not many :)

I use Cubase for my live performance (and production also).

Every track is made of long loops, each sound and drum sound in its own sequencer track.

I use a Korg NanoKontrol, trigger every drum sound + bass live with its buttons, fade every synth sound with its faders and tweak every fx track with its knobs...

Of course it's difficult, it has to be well rehearsed, but its a lot of fun! ;)

Thanks. Do you mean the knobs of the NanoKontrol? Or the virtual knobs on Cubase with the mouse?

I saw Cubase has a hardware controler available. It looks interesting.

Does your whole mix fit on one file? You have all your tracks one after the other in the file? How do you manage transitions?

Thanks again for the information! ;)

Thanks. Do you mean the knobs of the NanoKontrol? Or the virtual knobs on Cubase with the mouse?

I saw Cubase has a hardware controler available. It looks interesting.

Does your whole mix fit on one file? You have all your tracks one after the other in the file? How do you manage transitions?

Thanks again for the information! ;)

I mean the knobs, faders and buttons on the NanoKontrol.

Each track has its own loop files for each sound, overlaped in the cubase sequencer.

I keep loop on until I'm almost reaching the end of the track (creating the structure with the knobs, faders and buttons), then I release the loop and let the sequencer reach a transition part (premixed)... Then, when entering the next track, I turn the loop on again.

It's not easy to make complicated breaks during the track this way... But I'm all for simplicity :P

No problem, glad to help with my own experience :)

Ableton seems to have nice things for live performance, but i didn't check it yet and so far I am happy with my current setup

My advice is Ableton Live + Akai APC40 :D

Ableton is the only DAW (well, there is a new one released few months ago) that let you play your music in a no-chronological way. It's not about tracks that are playing one after the other but it's about looped clips building the whole track :P and this sounds very good but the reality is other.

A huge problem is: making a real live and manage all these stuff without touching the wrong fader and avoiding your brain to explode could be extremely complicated where you are playing in front a lot of people :ph34r:

An other problem is: Mixing and Mastering. If your are playing some clips you have never played together before, maybe your sounds are overlapping and competing for frequency.

The good stuff is if you achieve putting together something you can control is extremely funny and trippy.

A video that people posts a lot about 'Building a Live-Set' is this from Tom Cosm:

http://vimeo.com/2906015