that specific "303" sound Astral Projection and Afgin uses

Guest neurogen

Guest neurogen

You know that atmospheric 303 sound, kinda in the background a bit, with lots of delay.

In many songs by Astral and Afgin, not many other artists use that specific sound.

I always have thought it sounded so awesome but no matter how I tweak my 303 I cant simply get that exact sound.... Its driving me mad!

I hope you can help me. Either its not 303 at all, or its 303 with that perfect reso/cutoff/decay...

If you arent sure exactly what sound Im referring to please listen to Astral Projection - Tryptomine Dream@01.06 or Noone Ever Dreams@07.00 or perfectly at Dancing Galaxy@08.05 --> end

There. Now you know exactly the sound. Afgin uses it heavily also.

It has that unmistakenly Bubbly/Watery sound to it.

I've been trying to figure that out myself since I got my x0xbox up and running. It's not as easy as it seems like it should be, but in concept it's nothing special.

Accented 303 notes with echo is pretty much it. Just have to get it right. I think the key is having an accented note with non-accented notes on either side. So it kind of jumps out of the other notes like a single 'bubble', then the echo stretches it out into more 'bubbles'.

Guest neurogen

I've been trying to figure that out myself since I got my x0xbox up and running. It's not as easy as it seems like it should be, but in concept it's nothing special.

Accented 303 notes with echo is pretty much it. Just have to get it right. I think the key is having an accented note with non-accented notes on either side. So it kind of jumps out of the other notes like a single 'bubble', then the echo stretches it out into more 'bubbles'.

Yeah after my post I tried again, and this time I was gonna make it.

You are right, its a note, preferably quite low, and with almost full Accent to it. It wasnt that hard actually once you figure out its the accent and the low note that does it. With heavy delay ofc.

And I can recommend strongly AudioRealism Bassline 2.0 (ABL2) Its undoubtedly the best 303 clone Ive tried.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I got something a little close with a simple pattern on my x0x, accented notes on the 1 and a few other places.

saw wave

cutoff at 50%

resonance at full

env mod 5%

decay at 50%

accent at full

I will check them out and post tomorrow.

You know that atmospheric 303 sound, kinda in the background a bit, with lots of delay.

In many songs by Astral and Afgin, not many other artists use that specific sound.

I always have thought it sounded so awesome but no matter how I tweak my 303 I cant simply get that exact sound.... Its driving me mad!

I hope you can help me. Either its not 303 at all, or its 303 with that perfect reso/cutoff/decay...

If you arent sure exactly what sound Im referring to please listen to Astral Projection - Tryptomine Dream@01.06 or Noone Ever Dreams@07.00 or perfectly at Dancing Galaxy@08.05 --> end

There. Now you know exactly the sound. Afgin uses it heavily also.

It has that unmistakenly Bubbly/Watery sound to it.

Clean - no filter, flanger, delay.

The same sound you can get using this strange synth in Arturia STORM software reck :)