Luminon

Yes, it's another recommendation topic, but don't switch back. This summer I've picked up some regular exercise, an hour every day. And I need some good music to keep me going. I have my favorite albums, but there's too few of them and I can't listen to the same music too often.

So I went forth to explore the various trance genres more in depth. And found out that I don't really like it that much.

These are the classics I know AND love AND found very good for workouts:

Astral Projection - Amen

Aural Planet - Power Liquids

Green Nuns OTR - Rock Bitch Mafia

Human Blue - Misstarryas Xperience

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger, Twisted

Infected Mushroom - (middle era albums) Converting Vegetarians, Classical Mushroom, I am the supervisor

Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors

Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinitie

Raja Ram - Raja Ram's Stashbag vol. 4

Vibraspheree - Archipelago (got to check back at early Vibrasphere albums again)

Plus some non-trance:

Bachelors of Science - Science Fiction (DnB)

Shakatura - Shakatura

ZubZub - The powers that beep

The albums that were recommended on Discogs as similar but that I didn't really like:

Filteria - Sky Input

Man With No Name - Moment of Truth

MFG - New Kind of World

Transwave - Helium

Etnica - Alien Protein

Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation, Delta Aquarids

X.Dream - Radio

Shakta - Silicon Trip

Human Blue - all the rest of his trance albums. Some tracks are good and the BBB album sounds similar, but none gives me shivers like the MX.

Basically, I don't like these low and high-pitched dead-simple convoluted tunes repeated all over, in exactly the same key and mood, the tense, quirky lurky Goa atmosphere.

I dare to claim that the examples above mostly don't suffer from this, They're highly melodic and the mood is different and the melody is in tune with the mood. Some mainstream feel is acceptable. The music is like a progressing story, not just a set of uptempo soundscapes.

I have surely stumbled upon Goa gems of great complexity and genius, but I didn't feel like working out when listening to them. At the very least I need something at which I can read. (my machine can hold an ebook-reader) But many of the above uplift me from reading into... blissful trance, which is I guess the point of this music.

There must be something ear-friendly, complex and melodic enough, rhythmic, trancey, psychedelic if possible, but not 604-like. It may be dark or light, doesn't matter, just interesting enough.

I'll have to check out

Chi A.D. - Infinitism, Blue Planet Corporation, Koxbox - The great unknown, Talamasca - Zodiac (yes, I practice astrology for fun), And I also kind of liked Filteria - Daze of our lives. Maybe because the name is funny.

But enough about me. What is your workout music? One that either uplifts you from the pain into bliss, or lets you read a book while exercising?

Lastly, I apologize for all the Goa Trance fans who's feelings I've rejected.

well...i work out on crappy dance s...t music as my gym is full of "weirdoo"

That's how it usually goes down... lol! But believe it or not my gym guy actually put some goa trance on an hour or so... freaking awesome! And the normal gym people didn't even seem to mind at all... they should do that more often!

From your suggestions I would recommend you Kino Oko (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kino+Oko) and Bigwigs (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bigwigs)

I personally like varied stuff.. some times it's hypnotic techno, other times some energetic goa trance (e.g. Portamento - The Portal) or darker trance or tribal... most important is that does not contain (or has very few) breakdowns that stops the flow...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLco3Pio3J8

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0vslFTivk

For joggin/running: Transwave above all!!!! the Original Rezwalker gives me wings on the track

For weight lifting: Hardcore (Madball, Terror, Hatebreed, sick of it all...), Groovish metal (Down, Pantera, BLS, Sepultura, Machine Head...) and some NU metal. Basically slow, hard Rock and Metal with groove (no Punk,Thrash, Death elements)....... and Messhugah, because the are geniuses.

Pigs In Space - Pigs In Space

Space Tribe, try the first 4 albums. The style changes a bit in each one so if one isn't working, try another.

I imagine you would love Power Source's famous gem : Goaway, and if you do, try his other track Skywalker :)

No, no, the whole album "Cosmic Waves".

Oh no you didn't.

• 1 month later...

So far, good hits were Son Kite - Colours and also somewhat less Cosma - Nonstop. I imagine Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet is a good choice too, but my memory is a little hazy. I know I liked it enough to put it into the library, but workout needs something harder.

Khetzal - Corolle and Jaia - Fiction are very nice albums, but not with enough regular beat, Khetzal has a lot of ambient phases and Jaia too, but they're named apart (the gate tracks) and can be deleted.

Why not Hux-Flux - Cryptic Crunch. Makes you forget about that goa ;)

This one's way too much cryptic and crunchy. Almost not a music :blink:

As for Goa, I admit I need a rest from these identically sounding convoluted synth melodies. That's why I appreciate some more minimalistic yet original Swedish trance, like Human Blue, Son Kite and even tried Ticon. From Ticon I really liked the track "We are the mammoth hunters", but other than that his music felt a little blank.

I can only emphasize how much I like Human Blue ‎– misStArRyAs Xperience. I think this one is a masterpiece, incredibly psychedelic and immersive, with pleasant and original sounds and my favorite melancholic moods. It's different from harder and darker legends like Hallucinogen, but I still put it at the top of my trance folder. Is that a fullon trance?

I also tried Chromosome - DMT Cowboys which is not bad at all! Except it's the cheesiest trance music I ever heard. Lots and lots of Raja Ram in it. Not good for putting on loudspeakers when people might overhear.

Another try was Kino Oko, but I don't know yet what to think about him. It was weird, but I don't know yet if good weird or bad weird. It only sounded like someone tried really really hard to be different and original. It's a little too downtempo for workout and too uptempo for easy listening, I don't know if I have an ecologic niche for it yet.

Next I want to try

Portamento - The Portal

Power Source - Cosmic Waves

Deto & Gleam - The Archives (the album art is terrible, but the rating on discogs is high)

SA psy. Power, melodies and ENERGY.

SA? What is that? South African psytrance? This may include this and more:

Frozen Ghost, Shift, Zion Linguist, Hiyarant, Hydraglyph, Pitch Hikers, Rubix Qube, Headroom, Parana, SCAM, Artifakt, Broken Toy, Dirty Motion, The Commercial Hippies, Protoculture, Rinkadink, Phyx, Slug, Tickets, Chemogen, Brethren, Psymatix, eXcell, Biorhythm, emp, Smugg Juggler, Multistate, Glitch, Lost&Found, Twisted System, Enough Weapons, Vivid, Plus Minus, Terrorbyte, Bruce, ON, Archive, Deliriant, Lil' Faerie, Chaos Defined, Fright Rate

Any recommendations, based on what I already posted that I like?

SA? What is that? South African psytrance? This may include this and more:

Frozen Ghost, Shift, Zion Linguist, Hiyarant, Hydraglyph, Pitch Hikers, Rubix Qube, Headroom, Parana, SCAM, Artifakt, Broken Toy, Dirty Motion, The Commercial Hippies, Protoculture, Rinkadink, Phyx, Slug, Tickets, Chemogen, Brethren, Psymatix, eXcell, Biorhythm, emp, Smugg Juggler, Multistate, Glitch, Lost&Found, Twisted System, Enough Weapons, Vivid, Plus Minus, Terrorbyte, Bruce, ON, Archive, Deliriant, Lil' Faerie, Chaos Defined, Fright Rate

Any recommendations, based on what I already posted that I like?

Yep South African Psytrance.

Pretty much anything by Twisted System, Shift, Phyx and Rabdom L will make your heart explode.

Work out music is quite strange, I have friends who do that listening to Bach, others to Sepultura, and 99,99% of the people in my gym think that Rihanna and Beyonce are the best thing ever, after God. Go figure. I had this problem with treadmills, if I don't listen to the right tune, I feel bored soon. So, I try to mix a lot of different styles of trance:

Deniro - DeepSky (cyber trance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02ex7p9m-Y

X-Dream - Thorazin (tech-trance)

Chi-Ad - I Am The Eye (goa)