They sure don't make em like they used to

Lemmiwinks

The world of music has been on a descent since the 1970s. Decade after decade music is getting poorer and pooren in quality. IMO, it's directly related to the fact that the two last decades were poor in terms of inspiration too. Now we have everything the generation of Queen fought for: open sex, same-sex marriage, women on top, no more politic wars (or we got used to them), insulting now is cliche. This generation of writers have no inspiration whatsoever. And sadly this reflects on psy world too. I hope it's a cycle, but I don't see an end to the current one so soon. Rock'n rolling speaking, I had some hope with Oasis - but they proved to be the bottom line of the bottom line. Pop? I refuse to listen to Beyonce and any of the other girls out there.

The world of music has been on a descent since the 1970s. Decade after decade music is getting poorer and pooren in quality. IMO, it's directly related to the fact that the two last decades were poor in terms of inspiration too. Now we have everything the generation of Queen fought for: open sex, same-sex marriage, women on top, no more politic wars (or we got used to them), insulting now is cliche. This generation of writers have no inspiration whatsoever. And sadly this reflects on psy world too. I hope it's a cycle, but I don't see an end to the current one so soon. Rock'n rolling speaking, I had some hope with Oasis - but they proved to be the bottom line of the bottom line. Pop? I refuse to listen to Beyonce and any of the other girls out there.

This is false.

There has always been a huge amount of garbage made and sold to idiots- your too young to remember the 70's and no one plays the crap anymore.

With more stuff made today it may take longer for the cream to reach the surface.

With more stuff made today it may take longer for the cream to reach the surface.

Cream, in today's music? Where? Please give 5 solid examples of good rock, pop, dance and metal, each. Good music that is good to the ears, it's critically aclaimed and that's not a 2012 version of a 1982 song. Waiting here.

I can't give you 5 examples, but the best rock I've heard in the last few years is the new Rush album, Clockwork Angels (2012).

If you go back a few years, there were two good jazz / rock albums by Niacin: Time Crunch (2001) and Organik (2005). If you want to stretch the rock definition a little bit more, you might also consider Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks (2005).

However, most mainstream "rock" produced in the last 20-30 years has been total crap. The musicians may be more technically proficient but the music is bland and derivative, no matter how loud and fast they play.

Rock is dead. Move on.

I can't give you 5 examples, but the best rock I've heard in the last few years is the new Rush album, Clockwork Angels (2012).

If you go back a few years, there were two good jazz / rock albums by Niacin: Time Crunch (2001) and Organik (2005). If you want to stretch the rock definition a little bit more, you might also consider Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks (2005).

However, most mainstream "rock" produced in the last 20-30 years has been total crap. The musicians may be more technically proficient but the music is bland and derivative, no matter how loud and fast they play.

Rock is dead. Move on.

Well, the circle closed: your last post is the very reason of the first one from Lemmiwinks.

This is false.

There has always been a huge amount of garbage made and sold to idiots- your too young to remember the 70's and no one plays the crap anymore.

True, there where shitloads of songs comming out that had silly lyrics and were rather easy to play. And back then rock and also pop were rather new phenomenons. But that's what you get if you listen to commercial music, lots of generic stuff. So you either dig for the pearls or you don't listen to commercial stuff. Like all those hipsters who listen to music styles that don't even exist yet (just joking...). ;D

That's right, if you are talking styles then it is easy to say this music is dead or that music is dead, beaten to death by an audience that only wants to hear something that sounds like something else.

The Spice Girls were popular, so 'Run the World (Girls)' was produced to sell- and I bet it does.

Elvis was popular, so Justin Bieber has hit records today. Sold to the same audience Elvis sold his music to.

I don't really like the industry but I have to admit that it is effective at what it does.

Depends on your definition of dead anyway. Dead can be it's overcommercialized or it can be that there are only very few releases or dead to you since you don't like the direction a style takes. Lots of possibilities... I mainly buy psy stuff since it is my main priority but there are still albums from other styles (from hip-hop to pop to rock) that move me. And it's not like you have to buy stuff from the big labels. If you don't mind digging you can find lots of free stuff on the internet. While back in the days all you had were the official releases and the radio, that played the same stuff that was on the records anyway.

The real sad story is the loss of the physical record store.

Just read a story about the longest running store in NYC closing and it is a real shame. People can't discover great music if they can't go somewhere to hear it. In Portland all of the best places are gone and here in Minneapolis an institution, Let it Be records is gone. It was where I bought my first Eat Static CD; where all the DJs in town met each other to find the latest imports and the only place to find the subgenres most people have never heard about. From the 1960's until just a few years ago it stood in Downtown Minneapolis and served as a hub for music lovers throughout the twin cities.

Yes, actually that´s sad. In my town there is one real cd-store and a shop for used cds and vinyls. Then you have those mixed chains where you can buy books, games, cds and various other things. As far as I can tell there are no more shops for dj-vinyls. On the other hand I enjoy to have the choice between shitloads of online stores. It's not like going to a real store but at least I can get whatever I want....

Here in Portland the used music stores are staying alive better than the new release stores. I usually go to the used store when I'm looking for rock/metal. We do have a store that sells vinyl for DJ's, used and new both, but they also sell and rent equipment to augment the music sales. That's where I got the goa vinyl I have.

People in the 70's said rock was dead because it didn't sound like Elvis or Buddy Holly.

People in the 80's said rock was dead because it was flashy and full of hairspray and didn't have the emotion of 70's rock.

People in the 90's said rock was dead because it was dumbed down and played by heroin addicts who ripped off 70's rock.

People in the 00's said rock was dead because pop/R&B/hip hop was the new king.

People today say rock is dead.

Funny how it keeps sticking around.

It's even more funny that today lots of people actullay talk about rock in the 90ies as cream of the crop because of artists like Sepultura, original Guns'n'Roses, Offspring, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Four Non Blondes, Pearl Jam and lots of other commercial succesfull artists. I went through puperty with that music and for my personal taste it was indeed a good period of rock.

Im not a rap fan but I saw the lyrics to this popular song, can anyone even understand wtf rap music is about now days?

[intro:]

Rack, rack, city bitch, city bitch

Rack, rack, rack city bitch, city bitch, rack

Rack, rack, rack city bitch, city bitch

Mutha on the beat

Hah!

[Verse 1:]

Rack city bitch, rack, rack city bitch

Ten ten ten twenties on ya titties bitch

100 deep V.I.P. no guest list

T-Raw you don't know who you fucking with?

Got my other bitch fucking with my other bitch

Fucking all night nigga we ain't celibate

Make it sound too dope I ain't selling it

Bar fresher than a motherfucking peppermint

Gold Letterman last kings killing shit

Young money young money yeah we getting rich

I Got ya grandma on my dick (ha ha)

Girl you know what it is

¿6 writters for make a stupid, easy, cheesy lyric? I thougth 6 writters could make a good lyric. At least Freddy Mercury endeavored to do the lyric for "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Im not a rap fan but I saw the lyrics to this popular song, can anyone even understand wtf rap music is about now days?

[intro:]

Rack, rack, city bitch, city bitch

Rack, rack, rack city bitch, city bitch, rack

Rack, rack, rack city bitch, city bitch

Mutha on the beat

Hah!

[Verse 1:]

Rack city bitch, rack, rack city bitch

Ten ten ten twenties on ya titties bitch

100 deep V.I.P. no guest list

T-Raw you don't know who you fucking with?

Got my other bitch fucking with my other bitch

Fucking all night nigga we ain't celibate

Make it sound too dope I ain't selling it

Bar fresher than a motherfucking peppermint

Gold Letterman last kings killing shit

Young money young money yeah we getting rich

I Got ya grandma on my dick (ha ha)

Girl you know what it is

It's not only like that with rap. Of course there you have the mone and bitches mixed with the gangsta-thing but also lyrics from other genres go into a similar direction: money, fame, sex.. In the end it all boils done to either you care for a certain style and like to dig out the gems (there's still political and intelligent rap around if you go beyond MTV and the likes) or you can go with the thrashy commercial stuff (or not listen to it at all).

Think yourself lucky that you've got so much choice and access to diversity of musical culture and history. Not only that but you've got extensive freedom of both expression and modality so if you don't like it then get cracking creating dude!

Back in the day we'd only have gotten a few local bards and some shitty church music to stomp to. GOA trance would have been the devil's symphony and you'd probably find yourself roasting with the witches if you were an advocate/devotee.

Think yourself lucky that you've got so much choice and access to diversity of musical culture and history. Not only that but you've got extensive freedom of both exp<b></b>ression and modality so if you don't like it then get cracking creating dude!

+100

Back in the day we'd only have gotten a few local bards and some shitty church music to stomp to.

There exists no shortage of excellent church music.

There exists no shortage of excellent church music.

I agree with that. I should have thought a little more before being derogatory in a superficial manner for the sake of theatrics. :D

I found this today about pop music which I thought was worth posting in here:

http://www.telegraph...d-the-same.html

When talking solely of mainstream/chart music I agree that there's been a seeming downward trend in quality.

If you're willing to dig around, put the effort in and also attend live acts there's plenty to discover out there in such a wide variety of genres and cultural origins. Where there's heart, talent and inspiration there's always good music to be found.

We also all mostly live in purely capitalist countries where time and effort is seen as money. Governments and cultures aren't heavily inclined in this present era to invest time in artistic pursuits or teach young people of the values of mental and physical feng shui, philosophy, nature appreciation/reverence, aesthetics, beauty, harmony, balance, meditation, contemplation etc. It's very sad and unfortunate because the cultural and creative enrichment this would bring inspires, fuels and balances all other aspects of the culture. It's almost looked down upon and demonised(damn hippies and bohemians) or seen as socially unacceptable to learn or do something artistic/skill-based for the sheer sake or enjoyment, there "should" be some economic goal associated with it. It's of course ok in the 5 mins you have left after your work week or beyond retirement when you're nearly dead.

The individual listener who complains about the quality of music can also be media-saturated. Most people under the age of 45 seem to almost be continually plugged into a screen and/or earpiece. Poignancy can be lost when a time or moment or something worth listening to actually does come along because it all just blends into a randomised playlist soup of superficial shit.