How to make Kick drum fills/roll/glitch that You hear in Dark Psy

They do not sound like sequenced kick drum fills of various lengths...16th notes, 32nd notes..64th etc......it sounds more like they are using some sort of plugin to do it..like a granular synth or like glitch or retrigger of some sort...I am able to come close..but I would like to know if any of You know exactly how its done...

For Example at 1:36

thanks

Yes..Essentially ...it is playing 32nd and 64th notes and other divisions etc...but rather than sequencing it...it sounds like its been done with retriggering ...because there are some odd divisions which are quite hard to sequence...

Glitch does it well...along with pitch changes too...

This is a much better example...listen to this at 34:25 onwards....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYX-zlY3kf0

anyway...there are many ways to do it I guess...

Similar things can be done with a tape delay effect...

Thanks

:)

HI...I will post a better example...But I think I figured it out...

Use The VST plugin Glitch on a kick sample and use the retrigger effect...

Here is what I came up with...for anybody else looking...

http://yourlisten.co...rn=9yyptfnakdts

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

That could do it, but I think that plugin is intended for weirder things, like the example you posted where it not only has really fast hits but also pitch modulation. I didn't look at the Glitch page very long, but it sounds like it has a lot of capabilities beyond simple fast drum hits. The Kindzadza example you posted sounded to me like simple fast kick drum hits.

When you have a monophonic drum synth or sampler, such that the note/sample is cut off as soon as the next one plays, really short kick drum sounds will sound higher pitched because typically start at a high frequency and decay exponentially to a low frequency. So if you're only playing the first part of the sound, you're only playing the high-pitched part.

Thats interesting to know...I always wondered why the pitch of drum samples sounds like its going higher as the notes get smaller and closer together....I do synthesize kicks and know that they are really fast downward pitch envelope on a sine wave that creates kicks...but I did not put 2 and 2 together ...Thanks

Glitch is a cool plugin...It can do lots of stuff :)

Sometimes there are some really nice free plugins available to us ...

(on a side note...My status says 'Warn Status'...WHy is that ? I have not used this account for a few years and just started using it a few days ago, once again...is that the reason? )

Thats interesting to know...I always wondered why the pitch of drum samples sounds like its going higher as the notes get smaller and closer together....

If I understand what you mean, that may just be because if the kicks are close enough together then the delay between successive notes is the inverse of an audible frequency, and therefore the sequence of kicks sounds like a pitch that gets higher as the notes become closer together. My attempt to recreate the kick roll from the KDD track involved observing that it sounded like E flat and then using approximately 1/38.9 s as the delay (approximately 38.9 Hz being an E flat).

(on a side note...My status says 'Warn Status'...WHy is that ?

Every member has one of those, but it's only visible to the member and the mod team. The fact that yours is completely white means that your warning level is zero, i.e. you haven't been warned yet.

• 3 weeks later...

In short, it happens because repetition of a particular waveform at a constant interval is what pitch is. For a more detailed explanation, any shape of wave that repeats with a frequency f can be represented (with the difference between the representation and the original too small to for the human ear to discern) as a finite sum of sine waves whose frequencies are whole-number multiples of f. In particular if you're repeating a kick sound with a frequency of 38.9 Hz then one of those sine waves will be at 38.9*2 = 77.8 Hz which is an audible E flat. In fact I just tried repeating a kick at that frequency, and its spectrum has its loudest point at 77.8 Hz. Here's part of that spectrum:

Posted Image

The peaks are all at multiples of 38.9 Hz. The second and highest peak is the one at 77.8 Hz, so the ear hears an E flat. The additional peaks at higher frequencies are interpreted by the ear as changing the timbre of the sound from a pure-sounding sine wave to an unpleasant buzzing sound.

As for how to avoid this, I'm no expert but I don't see how such a thing would be possible. As the delay between instances becomes short enough, the brain stops interpreting it as a sound being repeated multiple times and starts interpreting it as a single sound with a pitch. Here's an example I just made. The click is exactly the same each time, but once the frequency becomes audible it stops sounding like clicks and starts sounding like a buzzing noise (it happens about 7 seconds in for me).

To add to Rotwang's post:

1/38.9s = 25.7ms = 38.9Hz

The accepted lowest frequency people can hear is 20 Hz, which has a period of 50ms, so if the time between drum hits corresponds to a frequency nearly twice that, you should be able to see why it sounds like a higher frequency. The closer you get the drum hits together, the more you approach audio frequencies.

Here's another consideration:

Take this normal kick drum sound:

http://www.veracohr.com/audio/kick.wav

This is what a single hit looks like. Notice how the peaks are much closer together at the beginning than they are at the end. This is because I programmed it to start at 233 Hz and end at 55 Hz. It should reach 55Hz in about 171ms (a little after the 0.15 mark). The whole sample is about 432ms long.

Posted Image

Now look at the first half cycle (shaded part), it corresponds to a frequency of about 217 Hz. This is a little below the programmed beginning of 233 Hz because as soon as the sound starts, it's going down in pitch. Notice the time at the top that says what place in the sample we're at:

Posted Image

As I said at the beginning, 1/38.9s = 25.7ms. Here's a picture that shows the 25.7ms point in my sample, and the half cycle that is shaded here corresponds to a frequency of about 100Hz:

Posted Image

Disregarding for now the pulse->frequency nature of short delay times, you should be able to see that when you have kick drum hits that are only 25.7ms apart (and with my particular sample), even the audio itself never goes below 100Hz, which is almost twice the lowest frequency of the full kick drum sample. This can change depending on the amount of pitch change and time it takes to decay to the base frequency.

• 11 months later...

There is some good advise in this post but you all are making it much harder than it is. The way i do it is to load the sample into a sample player any will do i use Ableton's built in sampler .Then drop a midi Arpeggiator onto the track then turning up the sync rate will play you sample at the speed of the sync. Try using a midi file that is only 1\4 of a bar with just one long note the full length of the clip and let the Arpeggiator do the work. !\4 will play it at 4\4 8th bit faster 16th faster still soon all the way up to 128th. I then map the sync to my controller and bob's your uncle Kick roll with a hands on feel.

Hope this helps you all out peace and love to you all.

www.soundcloud.com/psytraked

There is some good advise in this post but you all are making it much harder than it is. The way i do it is to load the sample into a sample player any will do i use Ableton's built in sampler .Then drop a midi Arpeggiator onto the track then turning up the sync rate will play you sample at the speed of the sync. Try using a midi file that is only 1\4 of a bar with just one long note the full length of the clip and let the Arpeggiator do the work. !\4 will play it at 4\4 8th bit faster 16th faster still soon all the way up to 128th. Hope this helps you all out peace and love to you all.

www.soundcloud.com/psytraked