DACs... what to buy?!

Drosophila

I have been snooping a bit around for a DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to connect my desktop with my set-up at home. I don't have super-duper hi-fi setup but it still works pretty well for me so far! A have a old but Rotel amplifier and some Tannoy speakers. So I don't need a high end DACs I see the price range are pretty ridiculous (as all high end hi-fi :P).

I have been looking at a DAC from a company called Schiit (:lol:) and it looks rather nice and the especially compared to the price (I think!?). It comes in a USB (~450$) and one with only S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) (~350$).

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Do any of you guys have any experience with DACs and what to look for (look out for)?! Or if it is worth throwing money after in the first place?!

from the computer to the DAC I'm using a simple optical cable. from the DAC to the headphone-amplifier I'm using the cable that came along as a freebee, a Tech+Link RCA cable. I have others to try with, an Audioquest cable that has been €400 as new. Also a Zu cable. But I'm selling both of them since I couldn't tell difference in sound when compared with the cheaper cable.

Thanks guys :)

I wasn't aware of the DacMagic Plus (don't know how I missed that?!)... looks good, I am a bit weary about the up-scaling feature. I have heard from different opinions om this topic from haters to lovers.. I am not sure how to deal with this?! I mean can understand the principle of garbage in and garbage out.. don't understand how lesser sound quality can actually be up-scaled?!? Do you have any thoughts on that?!

There is some way of making digital music sound 'warmer' - that is less digital.

I have VSTs for my DAW that do it and I don't know if they make it sound better or if it's just a gimmic.

You may or may not hear a difference.

• 3 years later...