Opportunity to revolutionize the psytrance scene!

Lemmiwinks

So I was just watching a show on new sites that allow fans to directly finance artists' albums. The concept is pretty simple: an artist puts some samples online, the fan scrolls through different samples of different artists and decides which ones he like and gives a small donation (can be as low as 5€) so that the artist can finish their album. If the total amount to make the album is reached, then the artist goes on and makes the album, releases it and in the fan-investor gets a bit of the share. If the total is not reached then the project is abandoned, no new album and donnators get their money back.

Now I was thinking, why not use the concept and make a site 100% dedicated to psytrance? IMO this could be HUGE... What do you guys think?

in case you're not familiar with the concept, here are some example sites:

www.sellaband.com

http://www.slicethepie.com/ (here you actually get paid to review new artists before reaching "critical mass" and seek a record deal)

http://www.sonicangel.com/

Younger Brother's last album was funded this way:

http://www.pledgemus.../youngerbrother

yep but IMO having a handfull of psy artists spread around different sites is anything but optimal, if we could take the concept and make it 100% dedicated to psytrance (or even 100% dedicated to electronic music) IMO this could be just as big for psytrance as the dotcom boost the scene got in the early 2000s. I for one would love to be part of the revolution but lack the technical skills to build such a site :( However, it would be taking the ektoplazm concept a step further, no? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

im not sure if i get that right. why should an artist need money to make an album? i dont mean making the cd itself. i mean the process of making the music on your computer. i wouldnt care beforehand about how much money people are willing to pay if i finish a track or not. or are we only talking about production material costs here?

Project starter needs to have really good reputation.

Well, Basilisk would have that in my opinion ^_^

Good luck on whatever you intend, Basilisk :)

im not sure if i get that right. why should an artist need money to make an album? i dont mean making the cd itself. i mean the process of making the music on your computer. i wouldnt care beforehand about how much money people are willing to pay if i finish a track or not. or are we only talking about production material costs here?

Good question.

These websites help artists who have to choose between "normal work" and composing. Some aren't as fortunate as others or have a large family to support etc...

Ohai,

long time no post :)

Just came here following a link that said Radi posted but now the thread tunred out much more interesting than that fact.

If the archives worked properly I could find that post where I said this was a cool concept like 10 years ago (here's the one that convinced me). But as I'm useless at organizing the non-technical aspects of this (not to speak of lack of experience in the music business) I never even set out to try. Now if lack of Code Foo skills is all that's holding you up, I'd be happy to contribute!