Crossing Mind - Inner Shift (SUNCD25)

Robbelaar

Almost a month passed by and nobody on this forum took the time to review Suntrip Records latest, released 20 april 2012:

Crossing Mind - Innershift

It is a shame, because damn, this album is god! This is one of the things I search in Goa Trance! I'm not going to do a track by track review yet, my advice is to listen to it in one go.

Posted Image

1. The Unenlightened Perspectives 09:10

2. Solarium 09:09

3. Modulated Self Reminders 09:27

4. Magnetic Fields of Life 08:46

5. Elastic Harmonies 09:49

6. No Way Wrong (2011 rmx) 09:20

7. Plutonia 09:27

8. Optronic Circles (Inner Shift mix) 08:13

All these songs have a wonderful story to tell. Each song starts of slow and before you know it you find yourself in psychotic melody trance heaven. Stephane always seems to take you on journey where you close your eyes, shut your mouth, dance until your feet bleed, your mind is cleared and then filled with all kind of emotions. The only thing that counts is floating in this infinite space of love and letting every note and sound tickle your body, mind and soul. It should be said that Inner Shift is less psychotic and direct then The Holograffic Paradigm. Inner shift has a more subtle deep feel about it. The best track is of course Elastic Harmonies (mod 2). When I first heard this song on his soundcloud, it dropped like a bomb... And it still does... It makes me want to go crazy in a happy way! ;)

So far my feelings about this album. Highly recommended!

Bought here:

http://www.suntripre...t/item/SUNCD25/

http://www.psyshop.c.../sut1cd025.html

http://www.saikosoun...ase.asp?id=9054

http://www.beatspace...ift/detail.aspx

http://www.goastore....nner-shift.html

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B007K8W4TU

http://www.bravoreco...et/product/5185

http://www.argosente...t/10598530.html

http://www.zavvi.com...UR&locover=true

http://www.bol.com/n...8335/index.html

http://www.eci.nl/mu...d-5060147128239

http://www.freerecor...d-5060147128239

http://www.cosmox.be...d-5060147128239

Maybe I'll do a track by track review later, if wanted by the public.

Indeed, its one of the best albums in last couple of years, especially if you like Crossing Mind's style and flavour. Hopefully I'm gonna catch some time to writte proper review for this one.

This is a HUGE improvement from their previous album. Magical, fantasy Goa storytelling. Well done.

Great multi-layered synths, build up, story telling and one of the best goa tunes on earth Elastic Harmonies. For me, the best suntrip release till now.

I kinda miss the epic melodies and the power though.

Maybe you are Filteria infected. :)

Maybe someone could explain this to me, but the mix sounds really sparse all throughout the album. The basslines are thin like they've been put into a corner and forgotten about. The melodies, while they are well thought out, never blend well with the rest of the track. Almost everything lacks a rhythmic quality. It's a style that shouldn't be a surprise if you've heard his stuff before, but this album seems to take it to a whole other level. Again, maybe I just need to hear it in a different setting. It's not as if here in America we have goa trance parties all the time so I'll reserve judgement on this, but I really don't like Inner Shift. Sorry.

Maybe someone could explain this to me, but the mix sounds really sparse all throughout the album. The basslines are thin like they've been put into a corner and forgotten about. The melodies, while they are well thought out, never blend well with the rest of the track. Almost everything lacks a rhythmic quality. It's a style that shouldn't be a surprise if you've heard his stuff before, but this album seems to take it to a whole other level. Again, maybe I just need to hear it in a different setting. It's not as if here in America we have goa trance parties all the time so I'll reserve judgement on this, but I really don't like Inner Shift. Sorry.

I feel the whole style of crossing mind is supposed to be this odd disjointed soundscape. If you don't like that kind of style then it's just taste coming in the way. I'd imagine it's definitely something that'll split opinions pretty strongly because you usually don't hear such a thing and the disjointment can make it really messy. It's weird for sure.

Does it sound more like Filteria or Portamento?

As said neither, check the samples.

Reeeeally nice album! Some absolutely stellar swirling melodies that remind me of a hybrid of Goasia and Filteria's less crazy stuff with a splash of Ra thrown into the mix. Still has entirely his own sound though, just what i needed to fill my current neogoa void. Seems like everything Suntrip do is gold!

:wub:

Crossing Mind - The Inner Shift

1. The Unenlightened Perspectives 09:10

2. Solarnium 09:09

3. Modulated Self Reminders 09:27

4. Magnetic Fields of Life 08:46

5. Elastic Harmonies 09:49

6. No Way Wrong (2011 Remix) 09:20

7. Plutonia 09:27

8. Optronic Circles (Inner Shift mix) 08:13

Review:

I feel a strong desire to start this review off by saying that Crossing Mind probably has THE most unique sound in modern Goa Trance at this moment. Not only that, the track’s composition and feel are very different too. But in what way, you might ask? Well, as we all know, Suntrip stands for melodic sunny modern Goa Trance in all it’s facets. While artists like Filteria and Artifact303 would fit into the blazing, uplifting spectrum and E-mantra in the somewhat melancholic, deeper, floatier spectrum, Crossing Mind surely belongs to the introspective, subtle yet highly melodic/harmonic spectrum. The style represented in this album is, as said before, a lot less to the point than his collection of older tracks on DAT Records and at the same time much more subtle. Do not expect full power trance. Do not expect larger-than-life, blazingly uplifting melodies. Instead, expect deliciously complex harmonics, subtly interwoven melodies that swirl and spiral in a never-ending introspective vortex of psychedelic bliss.

The textures, leadsynths, bass, kick, in short everything is on a level of production and creativity rarely seen in today’s psytrance. It’s also remarkable how much he DOES with the sound, modulating it into oblivion. None-the-less I do have to admit that it took me some listens to start appreciating it to it’s full extent. I was sceptical at first because, while I did enjoy quite a couple of tracks by Crossing Mind, the album on DAT didn’t reach up to my (maybe too high) expectations. However, now I’m here I just can’t look back and can say with all my heart that this is a modern gem, a classic-to-be and next to Artifact303’s masterpiece of a debut certainly the best Suntrip has ever released.

My favorite tracks here are Solarnium, Magnetic Fields of Life, Elastic Harmonies (which stands out the most) and No Way Wrong (2011 Remix). They represent such beautifully crafted landscapes that JUST DO NOT GET BORING. I can keep listening to them forever! Detail, complexity, sound, harmony, melody and creativity in a perfect marriage. The downtempo tracks deserve a special mention as well because they too are a joy to listen to and just get lost in. And I really hope that the short hidden track someday gets a lot longer and released because it sounds way too yummy to be this short!

Buy it. Listen to it. Drown in it.

10/10

PS.: Congratulations Richpa on the beautiful cover artwork!

• Like 1

I want add that most sounds are played and recorded by himself. Thats another plus!

To hard make complex melodies like this, he must be very good :)

Can't stop listen to this album, i am in love :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised this is a very special CD.

I can read the track listing.

It has a clear font (not some goddamn hippie squiggles), big letters and good contrast. (Have you ever tried reading, say, Synthetic Flesh's labels when DJing at a pitch black club?) Also, the titles are real words, not some pseudo-ethnic nonsense taken from a language the artist doesn't even speak.

I was able to fill in the titles in extraction software without consulting Discogs.

For this reason alone, I give it five stars.

It has a clear font (not some goddamn hippie squiggles), big letters and good contrast.

I always aim to choose as much as readable font especially when it comes to print. I'm satisfied with prints aswell, it looks just like I wanted to look.

I know Suntrip took every effort to make this a great album, but I can't listen to it because I find the high frequency melodies so shrill and harsh. In a word, unpleasant. Just to confirm my opinion, I also listened to samples at both Suntrip and Beatport, on both speakers and headphones.

I really want to like the album, but I can't finish any of the tracks.

I know Suntrip took every effort to make this a great album, but I can't listen to it because I find the high frequency melodies so shrill and harsh. In a word, unpleasant. Just to confirm my opinion, I also listened to samples at both Suntrip and Beatport, on both speakers and headphones.

I really want to like the album, but I can't finish any of the tracks.

Same for me. Too much high frequencies. And too harsh sounding. I really WANT to like this, but it hurts my ears and heart.

At least i´m getting to know the first track... After 10 listens... :)

I remember thinking about this on his track on "Shaltu", so I guess I only have myself to blame for buying this album. A pity, because I really like the music in many other ways.

Same for me. Too much high frequencies. And too harsh sounding. I really WANT to like this, but it hurts my ears and heart.

At least i´m getting to know the first track... After 10 listens... :)

I remember thinking about this on his track on "Shaltu", so I guess I only have myself to blame for buying this album. A pity, because I really like the music in many other ways.

I think we're talking about the bip-bip frenzy noise, which is really annoying. Electronic music is highly related to frenquencies that stimulate the brain - or depress it. Writing music takes a lot of study, even if the hardware is easy to handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Crossing Mind

Title: The Inner Shift

Label: Suntrip

Date: April, 2012

1. The unenlightened perspectives

2. Solarium

3. Modulated self reminders

4. Magnetic fields of life

5. Elastic Harmonies

6. No way wrong (2011 rmx)

7. Plutonia

8. Optronic Circles (Inner Shift mix)

When you're at the top of your game, you feel like there is nothing you can't do.

Posted Image

Here is everyone's favorite goa trance label with their 25th physical release. 25th. That may not seem impressive to Colombia Records, but when you're dealing with a niche market in a sh*tty economy it becomes pretty damn impressive. We all love a good story, and there aren't too many better than this. Working his life away in the coal mines of Western Pennsylvania had to be a dark time for him. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest, but with tireless effort and perseverence (and a little prayer) he finally got his shot to play big time college football.

Wait...

Sh*t, that was Rudy. Then who the f*ck is this guy?

This is Stephane Beze (sorry my computer can't do accents...the punctuation not the...you get it, right? Cause I can do an awesome Indian accent, you would think Apu was talking to you. Yessir, Nossir, hot dog, hot dog) and he's apparently been making music for a decade. We all owe a big thanks to DAT Records and their hard work for "discovering" him and releasing a free treasure trove of quality material. That was like picking up a hot chick at a club and when you're leaving, she asks you if he equally hot friend who wants to get back at her boyfriend can come too.

Posted Image

Now who's gonna say no to that?

So after that he drops the Holographic Paradigm again released by DAT. Then another free EP called Ultimate Reality on UAF. To say he's prolific would be an understatement. His goa trance is long unraveling melodies that make you feel like your in the mid 90's and now he's releasing his latest on the label that defines melodic goa trance. Mastered by Tim Schuldt with artwork by Richpa....

What the f*ck do you think is gonna happen?

The Unenlightened Perspectives- It's mechanical chunky with a Daze of Our Lives feel at the outset and there is immediate melodic and layer gratification. Leads stretch to their limit like a fat chick putting a hurtin on some spandex. This track doesn't sit still for a second with constantly changing leads. Already magical, it becomes legendary when he throws the breakbeat in there. You know what this is? An aural happy ending.

Solarnium- Wow. I'm blown away by this lush, evolving piece of atmosphere. The leads twist and turn and leave a sonic trail I believe I can actually see. Unbelievably full and moody, it shimmers crossing the line into the mystical. Yeah, yeah, the rabbit hole and all that, but I didn't fall down that hole.

I fell up it.

Modulated Self Reminders- Again with the layers of melody he carries you up without touching you. It's a drifting track that has me wondering where the time went. Partly abrasive and part acid tongue lashing this was another great one.

Magnetic Fields of Life- I like how he distorts sounds giving it a Depeche Mode eeriness with squelchy and run in place moments. Long melodies that are measured in days not minutes. It's just brilliant storytelling with no shortage of characters. Pumping music for the discerning traveler looking for that outerspace getaway.

Posted Image

I don't think that is what they meant by friendly skies.

Elastic Harmonies- And just when you think it couldn't get any better. He wields that distorted lead like it's a + 5 flaming broadsword. If you got that reference then here's to hoping that one day you will kiss a girl. It comes at you in waves, each bigger than the last. You've got a key change to keep you on your toes, but this thing just keeps on reaching skyward. A 10 minute tour de force that breaks the sound barrier.

No Way Wrong (2011 Remix)- Another melodic scorcher that is hip deep in layers and lead changes. It hops across the solar system on asteroids never lingering too long. Tumbling, tumbling...blistering.

Plutonia- The final two tracks are downtempo pieces that still maintain that deep space vibe. Well, maybe mid-tempo is more accurate. Scraping leads begin to stack up twisting in concentric rings that flow into one another without the hint of a seam. He is still the master of his distorted domain and makes a slower track still seem like it left a burning mark on you.

Optronic Circles (Inner Shift Remix)- The vibe is so outer space I don't know what else to tell you. Alien mid tempo groove, it is clear he ain't finished with you yet. The lead skitters and side steps in a way that reminds me of other old schoolers. And that is a compliment. Don't shut it off too quickly, because after an extended pause there is more eerieness to come. The Suntrip site calls it a hidden track, but at 1:35 in length...it's more of an epilogue.

Posted Image

This was how I felt after each track was better than the next. So when is goa trance not simply goa? Obviously this is goa trance, but to shackle it with the chains of one singular genre seems unfair. This is glorious electronic music with beautifully crafted atmosphere and spiraling melodies. It's high technology on a voyage into deep space, and I'll be honest...you might not be coming back. How could you? Stephane has succeeded in smashing the full-on derivative goa algorithm. Do you have any idea how many times I had to (almost typed rewind) start a track over because I checked out of real life and floated into goaland.

This is a landmark achievement in goa trance. Can you get enough layers? I know I can't. 3 layer cake? Limp-dick. Gimme some of that 7 layer sh*t. Rainbows? Yeah I guess there are rainbows here. But I'm looking at them through a 40 foot square window 50 miles up on a starship. Congratulations Stephane, it's awesome work. Thank you, and thank Suntrip.

Good to be king, isn't it?

Suntrip

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saikosounds

Goastore

Mdk

• Like 1