Beyond The Black Rainbow

Drosophila

Just watched this hyper-psychedelic sci-fi film last week at the Cph Pix (local film festival) and still wondering wtf just hit me!

Definitely the most psychedelic film I have seen in ages (haven't seen Enter The Void). The composure and aesthetics of the film is epic and the music freaking awesome! The whole style is very retro sci-fi'ish.... Imagine David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick and Vangelis in a joined venture... fucking awesome!

alternative trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDH0Ykyge0c

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534085/

• 4 months later...

Looks like pure style and art direction over substance (from the trailer). Still looks psychedelic and interesting. I'm curious to see it.

Update: Finally saw it. Too slow, drawn-out and ambiguous for my taste. Story was very confusing and odd. Some cool, artistic shots, but overall I did not like or enjoy this film at all. With better pacing and a stronger (catcher) script, this could have been amazing.

I really think it is a hit or miss movie, I met a friend and his girlfriend out-side of the movie-theatre and they both had a real hard time watching it, and me and my friend were totally ecstatic... so it does not surprise me that it would score around 50%... And you might feel after watching it that the (narrative) substance is not there (as an example as you haven't seen it) but I would say it's just extremely cryptic, like a David Lynch movie, all a matter of perception. But something that is not debatable is that it is highly psychedelic :P

this rating breakdown also gives you an impression of dived opinions

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1534085/ratings

• 3 weeks later...

meh I don't see why someone today would make a movie that looks and feels EXACTLY like a sci-fi movie from the late 70s/ early 80s. Forget David Lynch, 2012 Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, TXH 1138, 1984 (notice how the beginning of the movie was dated... 1983? lol)... this movie takes massive "inspiration" (if not to say outright rip-off) from them. As for me... well, it's precisely that kind of sloooow action that is supposed to accentuate a feeling of despair and hopelessness that made me not like those movies back then, so I'll give this one a pass.

PS it's about as psychedelic as lava lamps...

• 2 weeks later...

meh I don't see why someone today would make a movie that looks and feels EXACTLY like a sci-fi movie from the late 70s/ early 80s. Forget David Lynch, 2012 Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, TXH 1138, 1984 (notice how the beginning of the movie was dated... 1983? lol)... this movie takes massive "inspiration" (if not to say outright rip-off) from them. As for me... well, it's precisely that kind of sloooow action that is supposed to accentuate a feeling of despair and hopelessness that made me not like those movies back then, so I'll give this one a pass.

PS it's about as psychedelic as lava lamps...

:lol: well I am sure you will hate it! Probably as mush as I hate fast and furious type movies...

ed: and sorry I have to say... pretty sure you "ripped-off" that lava lamp comment from somebody else.. no?! And you haven't seen the movie have you? :P Pretty sure I saw it in a rant about this movie some where else...

:lol: well I am sure you will hate it! Probably as mush as I hate fast and furious type movies...

ed: and sorry I have to say... pretty sure you "ripped-off" that lava lamp comment from somebody else.. no?! And you haven't seen the movie have you? :P Pretty sure I saw it in a rant about this movie some where else...

actually I DID see it, at first I didn't feel like watching it till the end cause like I said, knowing this type of movie I knew that it would take a loooong time and not really go anywhere. Then I had a lot of time to waste and I said "ah what the hell, I'll just watch it". And indeed it went nowhere...

For rip-offs, for example that scene where the android crushes the woman's skull in his hands is a total rip-off from the famous scene in Blade Runner! For the lava lamp comment, well, people tend to say that about stuff that is too reminiscent of the 60s, it kind of goes around when commenting on such stuff so yes not really an original idea I know ;)

But anyway, I guess that if you like this type of movie, go for it. If not, just stick to the classics...

Ahh and you did see it after all... :lol: well don't say I didn't warn you :P

Well I am pretty sure Blade Runner is not the only movie were somebody gets their brain crushed through the eyes... anyway each to their own, but as this movie being a total rip-off I have to disagree, I would describe it as paying tribute to many of the 80/70'ties sci-fi classics in aesthetics and shooting, and yes I find them way better than modern sci-fi (with very very few exceptions), so I am happy! As for the story/plot I don't see the reassembles either...

• 4 months later...

We saw it last night and thought it was a terrible film. The visuals were... different. I can't even say they were good or bad.

Half the shots were out-of-focus and blurry whether intentional or not. That wasn't our complaint. We sat through this for 110 minutes confused, unsure what was happening and why. It was like watching a two hour music video with no story or explanation. The pacing was drowning. Sitting through this was a boring, convoluted mess.

The good? I liked the score, though one of the tunes reminded me of Phantasm. John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness also had a solid, synth score throughout. I found that film a lot more watchable than this one.

This film could have been great, like Cube or the Portal games if it had a clever, strong and eventful screenplay, good pacing, character development, an actual story, etc. But it was a bunch of ideas sprinkled in vagueness from start to finish. A little like Eden's Log relative to confusing. We were lost.

From what we gathered, a girl with a unique TK ability is imprisoned against her will in some type of facility that conducts unethical, psychological experiments. A deranged man; we're not sure if he's even human or monster observes the girl. He enacts his negative thinking by projecting thoughts of fear, hopelessness. We're not sure why she's here. She doesn't speak a single word in the entire film. There is a long, tedious flash back of another world or realm with this man; it's dreamlike but vague and edited around extended, over-exposed shots where you can barely make out people. At one point, a Tron-esque robot figure walks down the hall. No reason why. She escapes in the end past a tortured looking man (we can assume there are others captured), and the deranged man follows her. He also dies in the most lame way regardless that it is inferred that she "controlled" how he died. It was clear he was a terrible person and should have suffered more (not at all?). THE END.

The movie could be summed up as a bad trip, and not a very entertaining one.

I'm all for psychedelic, far out films (Altered States, Waking Life, etc) and colorful films (Go see OZ, nothing great but decent w/ great visuals), etc. But Beyond The Black Rainbow was just bad we felt, drawn out, boring, uneventful, vague, tedious to sit through, and an overall negative experience. This makes me want to go see Solaris again, or something slow that actually had what I consider quality and substance.

NO STARS

Hahah... yet another hater :) It's a film that demands something of the viewer, not your average pop-corn munchies. Your version of the plot is rather funny, not the one I gathered... but one thing I agree on is that is pretty much a bad trip, but that is not necessary bad in my book ;)

I'm downloading them first, I'm curious, but I don't know, reading some posts...

found them both in 1080p, if the visuals are so special,

they around both around 25gig, that's big, I hope it's worthed....

Usually it takes quite a big screen to fully exploit the 1080p, so if there is a smaller 720p then that might be OK...!?

There was a 720p but the language was only Russian and french, no English,

Indeed I have a 27inch screen I don't think 720p or 1080p would make a difference...

Then again If I want I want to watch it with a friend who has a huge LCD flatscreen (I don't know how much inch),

but it's big, and I bring my laptop along, what happens occasional that would make a difference, and maybe later I'll buy one of those too,

So it's like in investment in the future I guess :)

And VLC uses my Gpu, so If I play 1080p > 25 gig .mkv files, my CPU is 30% busy, that's ok...

Just storing them is a bit large...

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it yesterday, and it's indeed a very slow movie.

Worth the 8 gig, I don't know according the "special effects" that I have seen a proper dvd would do,

I have seen much better. There is a story but one that's so simple that anyone could have invented.

The fact that it "should" be psychedelic is the atmosphere, the music, and that's pretty ok.
But I guess I have never seen a movie that is so not original.

To be released in 2010 they have used almost any "psychedelic" symbol that has been ever

related to as psychedelic between quotes in the last 40 years .

The prism used by pink floyd, the cube, the design of Stanley kubrick in clockworck etc etc...

There is no originality in the concept at all. A 14 years old kid could like this movie not knowing it's a rip off, based on history, yes...
But If you are older, they fail on the spur of the moment....

If you have seen the trailer, you almost have seen the movie :rolleyes:

I experienced it as a collection off everything that has already been made in one giant movie with no story at all...

I did not fall a sleep, but I won't watch it again that's for sure...

Did I waste my time? I don't know, I could not sleep anyway... But I did pretty well after this movie :)

Well my imo...