so what are original cd's really worth these days?

technosomy

seeing lately old school cd's prices still on the up, but what are they really worth?

with this download age with almost everything now available, are they really worth the rareness?

i of all people no only to well about buying selling and trading these in the past, but that was before the extreme it seems to be now with downloading.

what your reckon?

yes I agree with you, many old classic releases are overpriced and you can't follow.

You can find everything on the internet now.

On the other hand if you love an old classic goa album or compilation you might think it is worth buying it in a 'reasonable' price. But that would be releases counted in one hand.

I don't think I am willing to buy any old cd now. I download it and I listen it at home.

Wouldn't say they're actually worth that much, but people are out there to make money thus they keep trying to sell one item year after year even though noone is buying it. Eventually there will be one who takes it. Eventually.

If people were actually trying to just get some additional cash quick or get rid of their collection for one reason or another, that's usually when the prices are much lower. Those can ask quite a bit too because of the bloated prices of those money-hungry people.

Now just for reference, for how much did Pleiadians IFO go for back when you were buying?

Wouldn't say they're actually worth that much, but people are out there to make money thus they keep trying to sell one item year after year even though noone is buying it. Eventually there will be one who takes it. Eventually.

If people were actually trying to just get some additional cash quick or get rid of their collection for one reason or another, that's usually when the prices are much lower. Those can ask quite a bit too because of the bloated

Now just for reference, for how much did Pleiadians IFO go for back when you were buying?

have noticed that, the same old cd's coming up on my discogs week in and week out same old price,

and my want list of the cd's that i want to re buy after me selling most my collection, keeps getting bigger and bigger (sitting at about 850) because i refuse to pay it, especially that i sold alot of them for way less and in better condition, but did make huge money for the rare stuff (loren x, hunab ku etc) but justified it as i was desperate for money going through a break up etc, and stated the price and they willngly paid it, probably would have paid more

but of course alot of people had never heard these releases and if you didn't have access through friends that did, they remained and for some people still do on a hit list to buy if they ever come up, but now am asking with downloads, if you got it in lossless with the artwork etc do you still need the original?

am sure the hardcore collectors including my self say YES, but the want for it is less, i guess i lucky enough to have quadruple back ups of flacs and art

so unless they come up now for not much, will never own again.

i bought ifo new in auckland new zealand for $45 nz which was actually high for a cd back in 97, but on import and there wasn't much getting around little old new zealand back in the day, was lucky enough to live around the corner from the only big seller of psy

it got stolen years later and i bought it again 2006 mint codition for $100

but was very happy then (guess i had more money back then) to pay it

seeing lately old school cd's prices still on the up, but what are they really worth?

with this download age with almost everything now available, are they really worth the rareness?

i of all people no only to well about buying selling and trading these in the past, but that was before the extreme it seems to be now with downloading.

what your reckon?

That depends how much do you value your CD's.

We always go through cycles.

In year 2000 every old cd was worth a normal price and back then is when I got most of my collection (both online and offline in real stores, especially in the UK).Then from 2001 to 2004 the prices started to raise as our "generation" of collectors (famous names on discogs and here) started to go crazy to complete their collection (including myself) and prices therefore raised a point were people were willing to buy for high prices (up to 400 eur for a cd, I seen that happening). After that, prices went a bit down overall in 2005-2006 and you could find some really rare cds for 50 eur or the whereabouts.Now after the big crisis of 2008-9 prices dropped even more except for a few incredibly rare releases (Hunab Ku works as an example), that in goa trance.

For Ambient releases (FAX +49, em:t and similar labels), market never suffered the price crisis for as far as I can see, and these albums continue to be worth and to be sold for a lot. Right now yo can sell your common CD for a low price a piece and get some decent money just for the insanely rare releases, so I wouldn't advise anyone to sell right now unless they are desperate.

I think the feeling of owning a real release would always be better than having the downloaded flac with artwork (a scan is never as colorful as the original, not to mention that some covers had fluorescent colors or special papers or holograms and similar, that cant be really reproduced by a file can it?).

But FLAC and scanned artwork will preserve the music forever, as long as you continue to back it up and change your hard drives every 3-4 years, that with the current technology.

But FLAC and scanned artwork will preserve the music forever, as long as you continue to back it up and change your hard drives every 3-4 years, that with the current technology.

Or a perfect alternative, DVDs made of stone that last 1000 years :D

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/62324-m-disc/

Original CDs are worth different things to different people. I still feel a lot more with an original than a music file but I've left the days where I'd pay a lot for a CD. As long as there are some people who are willing to pay a shit load for a CD then the prices will remain fairly high. A day will come when not enough people will pay anymore and the prices will tumble. I'll be ready :D

I haven't missed a thing since I made my last CD order in February 2009 and subsequently liquidated my entire physical media collection.

i'm with you there buddy i may do the same, still got about 3000 cd's i reckon, with about the same again of ripped cdr from the ones i sold, its great to be able to go and pick one and play it, but takes up way to much room, in the middle of backing up all my originals to flac then maybe most will go,except for the key few sentimental ones, especially my first from mid 90's just can't bare to part with them