East Europe: the epicenter of neogoa trance

Procyon

I was taking a look at the authors of more than 20 neogoa tracks I listen more, and geographically more than 3/4 are from Eastern Europe. Any explanation for that? I think it is interesting, for the first wave of goa and psy, we hardly had any artist from, say, Croatia or Romania. Now we have even a very good compilation from a certain country.

I think the main reason is that eastern europe always loved melodies. Maybe back in the golden days they weren't many producers from Balkans, but today it's easier to produce your own track (vst's, internet promotion, soundcloud etc.) so many artists are giving a shot.

I'm surprised as well that we don't have more newschool artists by the ''traditional'' Goa countries like UK, France or Sweden.

At this moment, Balkans is the Mecca of modern Goa trance music and I'm glad that people here are more opened to this kind of music than it was the case few years ago. Even the party scene is slowly growing, but to be fair and honest, Belgium is still number one hot-spot for parties and gatherings, plus there are few labels aswell (Suntrip, Sita, Psydance, Dimensional).

P.S. - Afterall that's probably one of the reasons why I decided to work on Kupala compilation alongside with Nikola (Imba), to introduce even more people with artists from Balkans and eastern Europe (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, etc.).

I am also pushing hard here in Serbia to convince some guys to try or to work goa like me. I know it's hard because ppl here want to be famous and have naked chicks all around lol but things are changing. More and more people join goa trance now. You have a lot croatians, you have bosnian artists, i also know guy from Montenegro who is making great goa but don't want to release because he don't like it too much, bulgarians are working too, greeks... you have blast in romania too, once you had E-Mantra and now you have also Artifact303 in last few years and few more... hungarians are crazy to with new school goa, pure eastern style! We can't forget to mention Macedonia. But in Serbia i only know for me and Hypnagogia that released something.

Last few years i got many promos from every eastern european country, specialy from slavic countries. There are just too many artists that are not happy with their music, or just don't want to release but music is perfect.

My opinion is that artists aren't problem, you have music/tracks more than enough but global situation is not well. Low money, higher prices, smaller scene...

I want to play in Serbia to promote and push goa trance more but not much luck. Most parties are local with their own DJs and i can't expect too much also, i am new on scene. I hope soon will be better!

My city region have around 500.000 people and noone made goa party here. I tried something but clubs dont want it because is too much rave. It seems that east must play on west :P

He's made one downtempo album (one of my all-time favourites, btw) and one forest album (which I haven't heard yet). I'm not aware of any new-school Goa tracks he's made.

You're right, I just checked his myspace page, there is no any refference to neogoa music, hmm I don't know how he ended up on that old neogoa artist database list.

Makes me want to move to Europe...

But seriously there are Zero, and I mean ZERO goa trance producers in Australia, that much i know... I cannot really get an answer as to why other than "its been done" and people went and branched off into "prog" (ughhh), and full on styles over here.. its sad...Goa doesn't even get played at festivals, at all. ever. :(

Thank god you europeans have seen the light. :)

Makes me want to move to Europe...

But seriously there are Zero, and I mean ZERO goa trance producers in Australia, that much i know... I cannot really get an answer as to why other than "its been done" and people went and branched off into "prog" (ughhh), and full on styles over here.. its sad...Goa doesn't even get played at festivals, at all. ever. :(

Thank god you europeans have seen the light. :)

I feel your pain, its hard to come across in the states

well I'd say that the first reason is that no record labels paid attention to Eastern Europe in the 90s... underground artists only started getting recognition with the dot com boom when it became much easier to get your tracks known, for example thanks to certain website competitions ;)

Another thing would be that there was no electronic music culture in the East, it was already hard enough to get your hands on commercial pop music during the communist era, let alone some underground EBM that was the primary source of trance later on, so I guess it took a while for people to get used to electronic sounds... and also the communist regime had zero tolerance for drugs, drug trafficking could result in the DEATH penalty, so again, even after the fall of the regime it took some years for mentalities to change...

And finally, I guess that in Western Europe when artists started trying out neogoa the lables had a "been there, done that" attitude whereas in the East it was all new.

my 2 cents ;)

Guest E-Mantra

actually Sufi Astrolab and Hypno is the same guy ..but he doesn't make goa since many years ..he's only on experimental chillout now..

Thanks for the artist-list, Richpa! Interesting.

And like Ormion said: indeed strange that there are not that many Goa trance producers in the UK, the cradle of Goa trance. I can only think of Blackstarrfinale, Filipe Santos (although these two are actually from the Iberic Peninsula) and SETI Project.

In France we have PharaOhm, Khetzal, Somnesia, Merrow, Crossing Mind, ... so that's quite OK.

actually Sufi Astrolab and Hypno is the same guy ..but he doesn't make goa since many years ..he's only on experimental chillout now..

Thanks for the correction, if you know any other goa trance artist from Romania, just list it here and I'll add it to the list!

Thanks for the artist-list, Richpa! Interesting.

And like Ormion said: indeed strange that there are not that many Goa trance producers in the UK, the cradle of Goa trance. I can only think of Blackstarrfinale, Filipe Santos (although these two are actually from the Iberic Peninsula) and SETI Project.

In France we have PharaOhm, Khetzal, Somnesia, Merrow, Crossing Mind, ... so that's quite OK.

No problem, maybe we should do for whole Europe list and after that rest of the world :)

Besides mentioned, more from France: Ajna, Avigmati, Grand-Cheff, Chronomyst, Midi Roco, Mystic Energies, Virtuart and that's like 12 artists already :)