Do you agree we have four different Goa styles?

Procyon

I showed the recent Omega Point to a friend who is not a fan of Goa, and he pointed something I had to agree: Siam and PharaOm tracks sound different from the rest. I asked him why he thought that, his opinion was that they sounded faster, louder, while the rest of album was more frenzy or soft in his opinion.

Me too, since listening to the album for the first time, liked the two tracks best. Not that the rest of the album is not great. It is. But to a different crowd under the same umbrella - as observed in the review of the album. But the second half of the album is a little "pure goa" or nitz, where we can hear very different kicks, basslines and melodies from the mentioned two.

What I want to point is that I think goa now is branched out in different styles: classic Goa, Neogoa, nitz, and the sort of goa that Siam and PharaOm wrote.

Does it matter? Apparently not. But it would help a lot people like me, I waste a lot of time searching for "goa" and end up with nitz or classic goa - styles that I appreciate, but that won't be played in my next party. Mind you, I want tracks that sound more agressive, while being Goa all along. It would help a lot if we came up with different names for different styles of Goa. My vote, if you agree, is to call it Full Goa. Which describes tracks like Siam's (most of his whole work), PharaOm in the Omega Point album, and looking back in some CDs, as far as Sheyba's famous Ganesh track. To mention some.

What do you think?

You forgot dark/night goa like Cydonia,UX,Kundalini and some Battle of the future buddhas & Schlabbaduerst Rekkords in general tracks

+1

There are tracks by Psychaos, UX, Koxbox, BOTFB, Darhsan etc. I know that there's a huge debate if these artists are Goa or Psy, but IMO they easily belong to the Goa scene as in the early Psy scene too.

In the other hand all these artists belong to the classic Goa scene as well.

I haven't listened to the tracks you mentioned btw.

I call Goa that's aggressive but not dark "hard Goa". Like Colorbox - Train To Chroma City, or the 2nd and 3rd Space Tribe albums.

In my book, style that has been presented by PharaOm on our compilations with tracks - Cellar Door, Intro(spection) and Rainbow Project is some sort of progressive Goa, not so-fast and with less layers and melodies that are common in nowdays Goa trance music. On the other hand, two tracks from Siam that has been published by Neogoa are much more energetic and you get that feeling of being faster, something that you find in fullon music. However, it's not an easy job to choose and compile something, and the hardest thing is for sure how to order thoose tracks, you must pay attention to details such as ''picture of the track'' - is it darker or more melodic, etc., than you have to pay attention to tempo and rhythm of the tune, does it drive whole time or we have some bigger breaks and stuff like that.

I have an example right now of how problematic and time-consuming it can be: it took me two days to download Schallusion free album at my job place, I didn't have the time to listen to the previews. And according to responses the album received here in Psynews I was expecting something 'harder', but despite liking his album, it's not at all the sort of Goa I want to be played in my party. So, I wasted two days to listen to something quite different from what I wanted.

My idea of labelling this harder genre as full-goa, is to make it more accessible, easier to find. My hope is that the likes of NeoGoa Records, Ektoplazm adopt this subdivision.

Of course, if you guys think Goa has more sub-genres, it would be great to label them.

No need to split hairs here... Goa is (or used to be) an inclusive style based on mood more than tempo. Go back to the old days and you'll find a huge range of techniques and styles... I tend to think we should continue to celebrate that diversity by not getting too detailed in our definitions of Goa.

i don't think that these two tracks aren't different enough from the other ones to deserve a own subgenre of goa. especially among the old stuff, there's a a lot more variance than here.

take for example destination goa vol. 5 (CD1). it's all more towards the harder/daker side of goa, but take Crop Circles - Lunar Civilization, Miranda - Gnocchi and Astral Projection - Life on Mars. Between these tracks i notice a lot more difference than between pharaom's and siam's tracks on omega point.

No need to split hairs here... Goa is (or used to be) an inclusive style based on mood more than tempo. Go back to the old days and you'll find a huge range of techniques and styles... I tend to think we should continue to celebrate that diversity by not getting too detailed in our definitions of Goa.

couldn't have put it better myself

To be clear here, I'm also for good old Goa trance classification, especially on Ektoplazm, that's why I always try to be as much as possible perspicuous when it comes to genre-taggin' releases which should be submitted to Basilisk from my side.

I agree with basilisk on this one... I don't think there is a need for further sub-categorizing goa as from a dj's viewpoint I think it is cool that within the genre called goa one can build a set with so many different moods and colors... If we will bring more and more sub-genre's to the table it's only going to get more confusing I think. Just search long enough for the music you want...

I agree with most of you guys, Goa is diverse and rich. My point was to label it to make it easier to search instead of easier to listen to. I loved the different styles of goa listening to Destination Goa series. In the same CD you would listen to darker and lighter tracks, in perfect combinations. But if you decide to search for specific trends, it's quite complicated: you end up with nitz, neogoa, etc...and it takes time to comb and separate one genre from the other.

Well, anyway, in the flyer we're going to call it a "Full Goa Party" which describes better what we're gonna play.

Sighface.

Goa or Psy, I mean come on... there is night music and morning music. Night music is dark yet neutral (ie not evil), physical and heavy and introspective. Morning music is light, melodic, uplifting and outgoing.

That's it.