Is electronic music real music ?

I think it's funny that some people think of synthesizers as not 'real' instruments, even though they've been in popular music for 50 years.

It's because they like the "human touch" of the use of "real" instruments. Electronic music also has that "human touch".

I think it's funny that some people think of synthesizers as not 'real' instruments, even though they've been in popular music for 50 years.

Well, keyboard synth players are generally considered musicians, just like electric guitar players. However, it's debatable if programming a hardware or software synth counts as "playing an instrument". As said several times in this thread, it's similar to writing a score, not playing along (someone else's) notes.

On the other hand, the whole question may be pointless. You can write a book using a mechanical (or digital) typewriter, definitely not in real time, possibly editing it for years. I don't think anyone would claim that "it's not a real story", "it's not art" or "the machine did it". People don't expect authors to perform live. The same applies to animated films, paintings etc., but for music it's still the norm that someone must be bouncing around the stage with a guitar. Even more oddly, it's still quite OK if it's 100% playback with no instruments really plugged in and just faking it for two hours. That still counts as playing/performing, while operating decks does not.

It's also a common argument in music piracy to claim that recordings are just for promotion and "the band" should perform live to earn its money. In non-real-time electronic music, writing is typically the largest undertaking by far. If I want to listen to ambient, 99 times out of 100 it's a recorded copy in my living room. Even though it's possible for "the band" (one guy) to pretend pressing a drone key for 15 minutes, it would be silly to expect that as the primary method of delivery. Anyway, I digress...

Electronic music is nice to link people during party even if the live "act" is pretty minimal.. Especially for trance, ambient, psychedelic rock, etc. It's nice to see an artist playing "for real" but the music itself is enough most of time to create a special atmosphere in the place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, keyboard synth players are generally considered musicians, just like electric guitar players. However, it's debatable if programming a hardware or software synth counts as "playing an instrument". As said several times in this thread, it's similar to writing a score, not playing along (someone else's) notes.

who says that trance musicians don't record what they play with the synth/midi-keyboard? i certainly do. and editing your recorded tracks is also pretty normal for studio albums of bands with acoustic instruments.

Right, when making trance, you generally have a sound in mind and then start playing the keyboard to get 'that sound'.

The quantization generally comes afterwards along with the arranging.

The arranging and rearranging of music has been going on for hundreds of years and is generally agreed to be the work of musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

Is hip hop music actual music? My English teacher called "rap music" an "oxymoron". Just kidding ;)

Some would argue only real music is classical music, LOL...

Some of my relatives say rock and pop music are actual music because actual instruments are used, while electronic music isn't. Thing is that they have no idea how many electronic instruments are used for pop and rock music, or even RnB, blues, etc...Without electronic instruments, these genres would sound different!

• 2 weeks later...

But in electronic music anyone can build a good track after few years of practice only...

Many THINK that they can build a good track after a few years of practice only... :P I don't see any differences in acoustic or electronic instruments, in case of getting to know your instruments. Synthesizers are more about synthesis (figures), acoustic instruments more about technique, virtuosity and things like that.