The very best use of samples

Penzoline

I was listening to Chi-A.D. - Healing magic and it just struck me how immense the samples are combined with the awesome tribal nature of the track. It just wouldn't be the same without them.

What are your very favourite use samples? Where the track just wouldn't be the same.

I was listening to Chi-A.D. - Healing magic ... It just wouldn't be the same without them.

No shit.

This type of song is built around its samples - ie. song wouldn't exist without them. There are tones of examples of this in electronic music.

Personal picks would be:

Total Eclipse - Waiting For A New Life 'If I could discover just one of these things, what eternity is for example. I wouldn't care if they did think I was crazy'

X-Dream - Telegram 'Things are moving so fast in my head that i'm starting to edit, like a telegram.'

Planet B.E.N. - Screwdriver 'We lead double lives. We deal in sex with beautiful women.'

Scatterbrain - Mexican Jesus THE WHOLE THING

Tandu - The System 'The system has been successfully used, but people in other parts of the world need to know about the system. In many places people suffering tuberculosis take drugs for a short time. The drugs are not taken long enough.'

Portamento - An Expert On Humans WHAT A FUCKING SAMPLE!!!!!!!!!!! GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Ring Of Fire 'OK, space cadets! Prepare to hurtle through the cosmos!'

^

There's definitely a difference between samples like that, which are just kinda cool by themselves and are stuck into a song, and samples used sort of like an instrument, as in the "Healing Magic" way. A really great voice sample used well as an instrument is just awesome!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=slD7rKMtdLM

"She says, quote: I was looking at my friend Linda… Suddenly feathers popped out on her skin. Her nose curved into a beak. She had an eagle’s face. I looked at my boyfriend Johnny, he was turning into a bird too! So was Linda’s boyfriend. We were at Central Park Zoo. I couldn’t move, I wanted to cry but no tears would come. “Oh God” I heard myself yell, “People really are animals!”. I started laughing hysterically but in the inside I didn’t feel funny. I started to run away from the others through Central Park until I stopped under a stone bridge. Johnny kept following me. After a lot of time I went up on the bridge. Johnny always had been my source of security. He said that LSD was brutal but that it wouldn’t hurt me. He said that I’d see beautiful colours and hear musical notes but I never did. Instead I saw awful things, people looked like monkeys, cracks in sidewalks became big crevasses you could fall into. Finally after about 8 hours the drug started to wear off. I was depressed for days afterwards."

^

There's definitely a difference between samples like that, which are just kinda cool by themselves and are stuck into a song, and samples used sort of like an instrument, as in the "Healing Magic" way. A really great voice sample used well as an instrument is just awesome!

This is true, and I definitely like the latter better, perhaps because it is so much rarer.

Psytrance is almost becoming a stereotype with its use of vocal samples. Do you know what I mean?

My eyes almost roll back in my head when I hear another 'mystical experience' type vocal.