• Tau Ceti (10:28)
  • Ursae Majoris (09:50)
  • Alderamin (08:20)
  • Sirius (09:11)
  • Nashira (09:01)
  • Groombridge (08:19)
  • Eltanin (08:08)
  • Stargazing (06:33)

From the dawn of human-kind, astronomy as one of the earliest forms of science played huge part in human society, ancient people were obsessed with celestial objects - stars, planets and nebulaes and with question what is out there in endless Cosmic darkness. Even today, with much better technology and super-awesome scopes, we’re unable to give full answer to that question.

During the old era of Goa trance music, back in ’90s, many artists and projects in some way admired and described their own vision of celestial objects, planets, stars. Some of them even named their projects like stars or constellations (Pleiadians, Orion). One of the most influental psychedelic trance albums of all time - I.F.O. was dedication to the Pleiades star-cluster.

Now we are in 2012 and it seems that connection between stars and Goa trance music doesn’t fading and best example is Trinodia’s new effort - Stargazing album on Ovnimoon Records, released few weeks ago. For all of you who aren’t familiar with this great Goa trance project, Trinodia is Daniel Eldstrom from Gothenburg, Sweden. He’s pretty much active in last couple of years, releasing his music on various net-labels such asUnderground Alien Factory and Neogoa.

Album opener, Arietis starts interesting, with some kind of mantra in background with nice melodies in background, tempo is a bit slower and it fits perfectly as an first track for the album. Around 5th minute comes nice melodic play and I like that part A LOT! The ending is also very melodic and more intense than first part of track. Alpha Arietis (Alpha Ari, α Ari, α Arietis), which also has the traditional name Hamal, is the brightest star in the constellation Aries. Distance from Earth ~ 66 light-years.

Second track is Tau Ceti and it’s probably the best showcase of Trinodia’s style, dynamic and melody driven Goa trance with nice build-ups. Part around 3rd minute is just great, melodic blasts comes very strong and it drives you to 5th minute and first break, nice speech and it comes again, with much more power. Great track! Tau Ceti (τ Ceti) is a star in the constellation Cetus that is spectrally similar to the Sun, although it has only about 78% of the Sun’s mass. At a distance of just under 12 light-years from the Solar System, it is a relatively nearby star.

So far, so good. Third track on Stargazing is Ursae Majoris and it starts with harsh melody at the very beginning, beat on this one is powerful and you can feel the nice rising in storytelling during the first part of album. To be honest, melody around 5th minute isn’t my cup of tea, it’s somehow dull, but ending is nice though. 47 Ursae Majoris (often abbreviated 47 UMa) is a solar analog, yellow dwarf star approximately 46 light-years away from Earth in the constellation of Ursa Major. As of 2011, it has been confirmed that three Jupiter-like extrasolar planets orbit the star. Because of this, 47 Ursae Majoris was listed as one of top 100 target stars for NASA’s former Terrestrial Planet Finder mission.

Alderamin what a great name, huh? It must be great track too. And guess what, it is - probably the best track so far, melodies and effects are just great, it drives you whole time and it got nice oldschool feeling. It may sound like cliché, but it got Astral Projection(Dancing Galaxy/Another World) feeling. My favorite so far! Alpha Cephei (α Cep, α Cephei) is a second magnitude star in the constellation of Cepheus that is relatively close to Earth at only 49 light years. It has the traditional name Alderamin, an Arabic name meaning ”the right arm”.

Numero cinque - Sirius (Ra were there). Intro is pretty much mystique but after the beat, complete image of track twists off into different directions - positive and brighter atmosphere in nitzhogoish style. Not really my type of track but overall it’s nice, I’m sure many people will enjoy this one on the dancefloors. Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. With a visual apparent magnitude of −1.46, it is almost twice as bright as Canopus, the next brightest star. The name “Sirius” is derived from the Ancient Greek: Σείριος Seirios(“glowing” or “scorcher”).

Nashira kicks off with nice rhythm and melody until 4th minute when comes short break and build up afterwards with a bit different melody. It’s more straight-forward Goa trance track and nothing special is going on till end. Gamma Capricorni (γ Cap, γ Capricorni) is a giant star in the constellation Capricornus. It has the traditional name Nashira, which comes from the Arabic - sa’d nashirah for “the lucky one” or “bearer of good news”.

Track number seven is Groombridge and it starts with deep layers and melodic echoes in background. Rhythm and basslines are solid and they fits perfectly with mentioned above. It’s more agressive tune with a bit more solid sound. This one got more diversity in melody and you won’t find any repetition. Ending is similar to intro, which is cool. Groombridge 34 is a binary star system located about 11.7 light years from our own Sun. It consists of two red dwarf stars in a nearly circular orbit with a separation of about 147 astronomical units. Both stars in this pair exhibit variability due to random flares and they have been given variable star designations.

Eltanin is last uptemo track on Stargazing and it’s more party oriented Goa tune, with sexybasslines and interesting melodies through whole track. It builds up slowly but at the end it gets pretty intense. I like it! Gamma Draconis (γ Dra, γ Draconis) is a star in the constellation Draco. It has the traditional name Etamin or Eltanin (Arabic: At-Tinnin‎ The great serpent), and the Flamsteed designation 33 Draconis. Since 1943, the spectrum of this star has served as one of the stable anchor points by which other stars are classified.

Self-titled track closes Stargazing, slower beats followed with deep vocals and nice layers in background describes this track perfectly. It got a bit longer outro but overall solid downtempo goa track.

Conclusion – if you are into Trinodia’s sound than Stargazing is perfect CD for you, it doesn’t stood out from his earlier works and fans won’t be disappointed. There are few tracks that I like more than others but overall it’s nice Goa trance album, produced and mastered well. Artwork also looks very nice, Daniel also made it and it fits nice with music and concept of album. I wanna say just one more time, thanks a lot for CD I enjoyed listening and review it.

Samples/buy CD: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ovn/ovn1cd024.html

• 2 months later...

I like this album. Its not innovative. I would say stereotype goa trance. but good stereotype goa. :) The melodies are very nice!

Arietis, Alderamin and Stargazing are really good tracks.

8/10 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was like "whoah, artist name and album title aren't immediately recognizable as tasteless nonsense... maybe the music is alright"

but it was just the same neo-goa sounds and melodies all over again. overproduced yet flat and muffled, pompous and ambitious yet completely uninteresting. melodies are either randomized or cheap spooky-movie-soundtrack ones.

no thanks.

Posted Image

Artist: Trinodia

Title: Stargazing

Label: Ovnimoon Records

Date: Febu..Februr...2/2012

1. Arietis (09:33)

2. Tau Ceti (10:28)

3. Ursae Majoris (09:50)

4. Alderamin (08:20)

5. Sirius (09:11)

6. Nashira (09:01)

7. Groombridge (08:19)

8. Eltanin (08:08)

9. Stargazing (06:33)

"1960 was the beginning of radio astronomy. New dishes were being built which could search the heavens..."

Daniel didn't re-invent the wheel here. It's not like he created a blanket with sleeves (aka a robe worn backwards)

Posted Image

Gangsta Bitches.

And that's ok. Most releases aren't going to be classics as they follow a formula that was successful. Hell the whole movie industry is built on the paradigm (yes I used that in a sentence) "You made how much on that piece of sh*t? Why haven't you already made six more of them?"

Did that to the Saw franchise. Ran that motherf*cker straight into the ground.

But I digress. You always remember the great ones. Jordan and Gretzky. Pleiadians and Transwave. Biggie and Snuglife. Carmen Electra...

Posted Image

Where the hell is her Oscar?

He didn't make the next IFO or Back To Space. It's not going to push LSD off the shelf and I think Rock Bitch Mafia is safe. But what he did make is a new school goa trance album that sounds great. It is full of light and airy melodies perfect for spinning and twirling and taking that trip to the next solar system. It's also quite stomping and groovy in places. I found nothing ordinary about the intertwining leads and ripping 303 on Alderamin. Did you hear Eltanin? I played that at high volume and the natives got restless.

Posted Image

"IHOP is the next block over! And get off my lawn!!" F*cking hippies. Play it and they will come.

He closes it out with Stargazing, a nice detailed downtempo track that combines the mystical with vastness of outer space. Point is he didn't go out of his comfort zone at all as all the tracks all seem to follow "the formula." But it's a good formula. If you sit around and just listen to classics of a bygone era I imagine you will become quite tired of the same albums. They're called classics for a reason and they are limited in number.

While not as epic as Human History I would say this was an enjoyable listen and a good addition to my collection. Can't ever have too much melodic goa trance I say. Besides, he gave the his last album away for free. You owe him.

Psyshop

Beatspace

GoaStore

Audiojelly

MDK

Such great elements are present, every track has something great, noteworthy and the concept is solid, but this is just going in from the left and out from the right. So very forgettable. There's an over-abundance of repetition of certain sounds which certainly doesn't help and the melodies are mostly really stoic and boring to my ears. This reminds me more of Liquid Flow's debut where my complaints were quite the same. Needs more time in the oven. Solid effort but there's so much more that could be done. Notable tracks are Tau Ceti, Nashira, Eltanin(Which sounds to be the most developed) and oh the wonderful ender, Stargazing.

Personally I find this album as one of the best new school releases.

There's a simple reason why. When a strong melody appears it dominates the track, unlike floating melodies that lead to nowhere.

I hope more newschool artists follow that 'old' formula.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of his latest stuff is really great, he's probably one of my favorite artists at the moment and yeah, melodies are AWESOME.

+1

I had once his unreleased album from 90s which was really really great. I will try to connect him and DAT :)