Various Artists - The Omega Point [NEOG013] (April 1st)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why you can not print 50-150 cds? it will be very good for goa trance lovers! you can not work with distribution companies, just send to fans and fans send you money.

It get's too expensive per CD from most factories, if not all. The prices inflate tremendously with the less you print. At least that is what I've heard from multitudinous of people.

Of course there's cheap CDr's, but the fact that they're CDr's make them lose value. The artwork isn't high quality print work and the CD's themselves last much less time than proper CD's.

Cd's are going the way of the cassette tape. It has to. Most people have mp3 players, or phones that play music, or car stereos that have that capability. Why carry around something else? Besides that, record companies can now charge you for a digital download without having to pay the cost of the physical product. Win for everyone.

Mdk

Cd's are going the way of the cassette tape. It has to. Most people have mp3 players, or phones that play music, or car stereos that have that capability. Why carry around something else? Besides that, record companies can now charge you for a digital download without having to pay the cost of the physical product. Win for everyone.

Mdk

yes i accept. but Cd its physical artifact. 100% stuff for fans. i talk about really goa trance lovers.

@GS Concept, well the problem is that I don't have enough money/resources and time to do some serious CD printing, however if anyone is interested for releasing any Neogoa material on CD, he can always reach me here or on facebook. Btw, thanks for your feedback :)

Mdk

Depends. I'm a 90's kid and I'm old school enough to not ditch CDs.. probably ever. I've bought files now 5 times and it just feels like getting nothing. I want something concrete in my hands.

Depends. I'm a 90's kid and I'm old school enough to not ditch CDs.. probably ever. I've bought files now 5 times and it just feels like getting nothing. I want something concrete in my hands.

I totally agree with that. I would buy a file but only if it was for extremely cheap price, since I'm paying for thin air basically :D CD is something always worth having, at least in my shelf as a reminder of a good release, if nothing else :) That's why I print all the good releases and print the covers as well, just to have them visually present in my room.

I also understand Ivan because Neogoa releases are not commercial ones, and he cannot make money out of it. Basically, Ivan has to pay for mastering and devote his time for promotion and dialogue with artists, which is more than enough from his side. We would all love to have lots of money and print 1000s of CDs for all the fans out there, but it's really expensive for a single man (or a couple of them) to handle every few months.

@GS Concept, well the problem is that I don't have enough money/resources and time to do some serious CD printing, however if anyone is interested for releasing any Neogoa material on CD, he can always reach me here or on facebook. Btw, thanks for your feedback :)

I understand you. But.. If you find money on first release and make sales on facebook you really comeback your money and will have money for next release. Print 50 -100 jewelcase it not big price. Find 100 fans in the world its really! All you need its bank account and send Cds every weekend to fans.

But yes its many time. But when you will have your Cd in your hands you will be happy )

It's all economics and business. Not many duplication houses will go as low as 100 copies (not talking CD-R).

A quick check of Oasis Disc Manufacturing shows this:

300 CD's (their lowest amount)

4-panel full-color insert

Full-color disc printing

Poly wrap

Total: $932 (US)

That's a little over $3 a CD to manufacture, which is 20-25% of the average retail cost of a goa album . Add on percentage for the label (who is probably paying for mastering), the distribution company, the reseller (Psyshop, Saiko Sounds...) or personalized online merchant service costs, business taxes, shipping and related costs, and of course the artist(s). And how long do you think it would take to sell 300 copies for a small label, how long to recoup $1000? The distributors & shops may also have minimum stock requirements, I'm not sure.

As comparison, the total cost from Oasis for 1000 CDs with the same options is $1270, only $1.27 per CD. Better margin all around there, but then you're stretching out the recoupment time much longer.

Running a label releasing CDs in a small-market genre in the days of declining CD use can't be easy.

It's all economics and business. Not many duplication houses will go as low as 100 copies (not talking CD-R).

A quick check of Oasis Disc Manufacturing shows this:

Full-color disc printing

Poly wrap

Total: $932 (US)

That's a little over $3 a CD to manufacture, which is 20-25% of the average retail cost of a goa album . Add on percentage for the label (who is probably paying for mastering), the distribution company, the reseller (Psyshop, Saiko Sounds...) or personalized online merchant service costs, business taxes, shipping and related costs, and of course the artist(s). And how long do you think it would take to sell 300 copies for a small label, how long to recoup $1000? The distributors & shops may also have minimum stock requirements, I'm not sure.

As comparison, the total cost from Oasis for 1000 CDs with the same options is $1270, only $1.27 per CD. Better margin all around there, but then you're stretching out the recoupment time much longer.

Running a label releasing CDs in a small-market genre in the days of declining CD use can't be easy.

Wow. Its really big price. What country?

And you talk about digipack or jewel case ?

That's a disc manufacturer in the United States, in US dollars. Standard jewel case.

))) haha. This price its fake.

I make 500 6 panel digipack with 2 trays (2CD) - 1000 $

Russia

But you all right about 300 copies ((( i was not think about it (

Price in Russia 300 copies jewel case

Full-color disc printing

Poly wrap

370$ ))))))))))))))))

But it not small price i accept ( But not like in USA )))))))))))

Come on people, this is pointless to talk about :) Enjoy music above everything else! And when you can, buy the CDs if they're available, so the artists can prosper and (maybe) buy a new equipment for their studios :)

Without free goa releases today, you won't hear more than 40-50 tracks per year ;)

imba is partly right, and im really sorry about it... scene has dived quite a few years ago...

and about cds or not cds - i say its individuals right, but like arronay said - if u already have cd in selling, help the artists :D

Artists doesn't live from cd sales, they live from live gigs and bookings, at least in psytrance genre

i know that, but when cd sales or file sales go, further releases go too following very nearby - one pulls another, its benefit to labels and artists aswell :D

point is, more releases = more chance u get gigs :D

Artists doesn't live from cd sales, they live from live gigs and bookings, at least in psytrance genre

Not just in the psytrance genre - I know a guy who had a no.1 album and single in the UK last year, apparently he makes surprisingly little from CD sales and it's gigging that he lives on.

True. I was just trying to suggest that people who like Goa and have spare money should buy CDs if they are available. That's why I said it "may" help the artists, but usually the major profit comes from gigs, I agree. :) It's also logical, because some artists release their work only once in a few years, while they perform at big festivals and parties like every month or so...