Various Artists - Shaltu

Richpa

From a movie with Jodie Foster, called "Little Man Tate". Judging from the sample, I suppose its quite terrible.

I thought that sounded like Jodie Foster. I'll have to check it out just for the hell of it.

I thought that sounded like Jodie Foster. I'll have to check it out just for the hell of it.

Hey dude, the voice in the sample isn't Jodie Foster - it's the kid who plays the main role in the film. It's a nice film - Sunday afternoon no brainer.

Regarding Shaltu - LOVE IT! Agree with some that the Lepton Head Remix isn't great, mainly because i wasn't really a fan of the Deedrah remix either. The original Shakta however, Pure Gold!!!

I love the Inner Space track - grooving, shimmering, spiraling MONSTER of a tune!

I really like this CD! :)

The Crossing Mind Track is pure gold. I have never so much listen to a track like this track. So emotional so good! :)

And very nice: We have one more german goa-artist: InnerSpace! His track is really cool!

Also good the Tracks from Nebula Meltdown and Ephedra & Imba. :)

Hey dude, the voice in the sample isn't Jodie Foster - it's the kid who plays the main role in the film. It's a nice film - Sunday afternoon no brainer.

Her voice is in there. She says "what did you just call me?" and some other stuff.

Her voice is in there. She says "what did you just call me?" and some other stuff.

That's the kid that he's calling a "Lepton". But i listened to it again last night and it does sound like her!! :)

The rest of the album is way too soft to me.

I understand, it's very floating, but I like that sooooooooo much :) (taste is taste off course ;) )

Most suntrip releases are to energetic for me, Antares then again is great.

I'm glad this album is released, I already listened to it more then 20 times.

It has been a long time ago that such a thing has happened :wub:

• 5 months later...
Guest neurogen

Truly amazing album.

Too bad the coverart is terrible. I mean REALLY?! Could very well be the worst drawing (and coverart for that matter) Ive seen.

Luckily you dont have to listen to the cover.

• 2 months later...

InnerSpace is THE track for me on this compilation.

Update: Review coming...

• 7 months later...

V/A - Shaltu
Suntrip Records

sut1cd024.jpg

1. Ra - Lifethread starts off peppy, like something out of Wizard of Oz; I like it. I wanted to enjoy this song so much after the [arguably] magical entrance. I generally love RA and I realize some people really like this track. It takes off at around 1:55 and sounds pretty good. Soon after though, I find that the song grows formulaic, uninspired, and recycled in ideas. Aside from the opening and few ambient and synth elements, the song has a same-sounding feel that grows repetitive. I feel that the approach here is neither ambitious nor really that imaginative, like we're going through the motions for nearly 9 minutes! My favorite part(s) are actually the opening and interludes. From 1:55 to 2:46 is nice sounding, but after that the artist adds a synth, that while attractive, is not that great. Maybe the less layers approach relative to other RA tracks makes the looping more obvious. I don't know. I generally love this artist, but I don't love this song. Also, I find it more mainstream sounding than virtually all RA songs I've heard to date. C+

2. Crossing Mind - Hydrophobic Visions on the other hand is more diverse and versatile. This I find catchy, gripping, and more enjoyable. The beat changes, details, sounds, melodies, alterations, and overall direction and style is inventive. Along with this artist's InnerShift album, this is an innovative, emotive, and catchy number that keeps me interested and immersed throughout. There's never a dull second. The mixing is dynamic and evolving. Little of this would matter if it wasn't catchy which it is. There's a storytelling/emotive feel throughout that's harmonious and involving, very nice. Great work. B+

3. Nebula Meltdown - Mindstream Continuum is another strong number with an evocative opening. I love the first 0:45 of this song. It's beautiful, dreamy, and arresting. This artist produced one of the strongest tracks on Temple of Chaos and is 2 for 2 here. Intro aside, the song isn't as emotive as the previous track, but stands out nonetheless, and showcases delectable synth (sound/melody) work encased in gentle yet effective atmosphere, soundscapes, and more. I love uplifting songs with edge (this has both!). The second half has more emotion, development; that's good! The psy backdrop is solid too. Update: I just realized that this song is also on the artist's debut album called Stardust Chronicles. It's uncommon of Suntrip to release comp tracks also on main albums anyway. Mindstream Continuum is a great track! A-

4. Shakta & Deedrah - Lepton Head (Part III) is the second song involving (artists I consider great) that I was disappointed with. This is a Filteria remix. I find its sound/melody production too tinny, screechy, flat, and sharp throughout. Moreover, the song lacks power to the original that I don't recall being great to begin with. There is an interesting interlude in the last third, but due to the tinny sound and production, that could have been improved in this remix, the entire track, climax included, is not enjoyable. C-

5. InnerSpace - InnerSpace is the first song on the album to really arrest my attention throughout. The song grabs me from its opening and remains energetic, dynamic, involving, infectious, and immersive until the end. It even gets better as it progresses without ever getting too messy or overloaded, in my opinion. This song excites me. It is THE SONG on this compilation that I'd most recommend to friends so far. Well done! A

6. Ephedra & Imba - Emergency Acid System is another energetic, albeit less upbeat and more exciting, driving vehicle. It lacks the variety and ambitious, space-delicacy approach of the previous rocket. Nonetheless, the song works well; it has ambition, and showcases good sound/melody around attractive atmospheric elements and occasional, catchy voice samples, effects. The song is a little repetitive, but certain transitional boosters enhance it at times around its shortcomings. Good track. B

7. Shani Yantra - Fractal Memories sounds more mainstream, commercial; this is the next HUH? song (for me) on this compilation. It starts out nice. The melody at 3:00 is pretty good, as does the interlude, and the melody at around 3:48. The song picks up from there and flows nicely, at least for [arguably Goa-influenced] full on club trance (?). This song does not seem to correlate with most of the songs on the compilation. It's also fairly monotonous, though it has some nice sound/melody work. C+

8. RA - Time Current (E-Mantra Remix) starts out great. E-Mantra is a hit-and-miss for me. I'm generally not a big fan of remixes either, but E-Mantra's approach to one of RA's songs is interesting to hear. I like the atmospheric intro, and how the artist spices up the music with tasty, psy-echoed synths at around 2:15 into the third minute. I find the first several minutes very catchy, well done. An interlude at 3:29 creates an opportunity for the song to evolve and grow catchier, though the latter arguably happens. The beat return at 4:35; the echoed sound fx sound nice. But aside from a gentle melody at 5:15 and the reprised signature melody (later on), I'm no longer hooked. The sounds are softer. The track grows fairly monotonous, and less engaging too. The segment between the forth and sixth minute, though decent, is missing something to spice up the second half. Fortunately, TC's signature melody reprises at 7:03, very nice! The song however ran out of out of team halfway through as opposed to growing more deliciously engaging as it progressed. This is a pretty good song with a strong first-third. I wish the artist sustained the greatness throughout. B-

9. Sirius - Universe has an old-school, D5 (Second Phaze-esque) feel, sound, and influence. Included is warm sounds, atmosphere, and pleasant ambient notes. There is a sample early on that strangely sounds like the guy is saying: "the cosmic and planetary hiarachy for this 1998 Nissan??? :unsure: The song picks up at 1:30 and sounds pretty good, at least for a while. The overall design however is not that impressive. Lacking is memorable melodies, and while there is an upbeat synth nicely placed at 5:11, the song could have showcased more lively, arresting sound/melody work considering the potential D5 inspiration. I'm between a B- and a C+ here, though this isn't better than the previous number IMO. The song is far from bad, but for the last track on a Suntrip compilation, I'm a bit disappointed. C+

Conclusion - I'm not a fan of RA's Lifethread or Shakta & Deedrah Filteria's Z-Particle Remix. Those artists have achieved far more imaginative, catchier songs in the past. With Lepton Head Pt 3, I feel like I've heard this before. It grows tedious and repetitive as it progresses. Naturally some listeners will disagree with me. I agree with Penzoline's view (for the most part) on this release and share his gripes, the latter regarding the filler and full-on (Shani Yantra) work that seems "against type" of Suntrip. The last track leaves much to be desired too. On the positive: Both Crossing Mind and Nebula Meltdown provide great songs. The Innerspace track is fantastic. The Emergency Acid System number is fun too, and numerous Goa listeners are bound to like E-Mantra's creative remix of RA's powerful Time Current. Overall, Shaltu is a pretty good compilation with some great tracks, and a few weak ones as well. One or two commenters have said that I give every Suntrip release a B+ or an A-, but that's just not true (see my Afgin - Astral Experience, Ka-Sol - Fairytale reviews; they're quite critical). The truth is that Suntrip has a great track record, and that's my opinion being a lover of Goatrance. Overall, I have been more impressed by Suntrip's previous compilations, but this is worth checking out for its solid tracks around hit-and-miss ones for me.

Favorite tracks - 2, 3, 5, 6,

B-

• 1 year later...

Mhm looking back I've grown fond of the Ephedra and Imba collaboration. It has a great steady flow, it holds my interest the whole way through nowadays. The full-on track is actually pretty good full-on, but I guess I just couldn't let this one slide because of where it is.

• 5 years later...