Posted Image

Click here for bigger image.

Artist: Various

Album: Shaltu

Label: Suntrip Records

Style: Goa Trance

Tracklist:

• Ra - Lifethread (09:30)
  • Crossing Mind - Hydrophobic Visions (08:48)
  • Nebula Meltdown - Mindstream Continuum (07:40)
  • Shakta & Deedrah - Lepton Head (Part III) (Filteria's Z-Particle Remix) (07:52)
  • InnerSpace - InnerSpace (11:16)
  • Ephedra & Imba - Emergency Acid System (07:58)
  • Shani Yantra - Fractal Memories (09:05)
  • Ra - Time Current (E-Mantra Remix) (08:34)
  • Sirius - Universe (07:24)
Before I start with Shaltu, I'm gonna go few years back in the past to do some silly math. In 2008. they released 3 compilations and 1 album, compilations wins. In 2009. they released 6 albums and 0 compilations, albums wins. In 2010. they released 2 compilations and 1 album, compilations wins. In 2011. they released 3 albums and 0 compilations, albums wins. Are they gonna continue to stick with this interesanting 'compilations-albums-compilations..'' formula/scheme in 2012 I don't know but what I do know is the fact that you can't go wrong when it comes to Suntrip's music. They're continuously pampering Goa trance fans with great releases since 2004. and it seems they aren't planning to stop.

Their first official release for 2012. is compilation Shaltu and this time they're presenting (alongside with old & already known Suntrip projects) some new names. In promo text they described what Shaltu means (Shaltu, an ancient Amerindian word for the helping spirits of dancing shamans) and I decided to skip some in-depth research of indigenous tribes of America (not gonna lie you here, I love almost everything that has something in common with history and ancient civilizations, but hey, I also love to be first one who posted review for this one here on Psynews).

OK, let's go, first track is Lifethread from Norwegian Goa trance heavyweights - Ra (Christer Borge-Lunde & Lars W. Lind)and from the very beginning you can feel their trademark sound - little bells and melodies swirls around while basslines slowly and subtly prepares you for rhythm. I must say that sound overall is somehow different than it was on their super-awesome 9th album, this track sounds much fatter with extra depth. First (shorter) break comes around 5th minute and it's filled with nice melodies, second one around 06:30 mark is longer and in the background you can feel beautiful layers and growth of main melody. Peak of the track comes right after and it's great. I don't know when we can expect full lenght from Ra but if it's gonna sound like Lifethread than don't be afraid, it will rock!

Stéphane Bèze is man behind Crossing Mind project and he has been pretty much active recently, besides his debut album The Holographic Paradigm on DAT Records in 2010, he released an EP last year on UAF Records and now he appears here on this compilation with his track Hydrophobic Visions. Track kicks off with nice intro and a bit slower beats with catchy effects in background, atmosphere in this one is super, nice melodies swims around and you can feel their warmth. We don't have some extra huge peak(s) here, especially because it relies more on atmosphere(s) and there is no need for big build-ups and ending of Hydrophobic Visions is nice and emotinal. Like.

Nebula Meltdown is one man project from Finnland of Kristian Aro, man who already released on Suntrip's Temple Of Chaos compilation. Mindstream Continuum starts something like Hydrophobic Visions a bit more slower and beat comes with awesome and psychedelic bassline, effects in background reminds me on Kali track from Quatermass project which is one of my favorite Goa trance tunes from Pulse series. First break is followed with mystique female voice and 303's in background. Mindstream Continuum is much more darker than previous two tracks. Ending of track is just perfect, wobbling acid sounds and melodies are just great. So far my favorite track on this compilation.

4th track...woah, wait, what? Shakta+Deedrah with Filteria's remix. OMG let's hear it. Forget about slow and emotional intros, there is just small speech at the beginning and the beat comes like a storm, Jannis Tzikas knows how to start a fire for sure! Retro Filteria sound is back people, this remix just bursts with energy and raw power, Lepton Head's melodies are a bit reworked but the main theme is still here and it sounds - EPIC. Orginal is a classic, without doubt, but this one isn't something that will cut off the vibe of orginal, no sir, it gives more input and it does that flawlessly. The only break is around 5th minute mark and right after comes one of the most gorgeous climaxes, ever. Pure goa trance smasher, six out of five stars.

On number five is InnerSpace with self-titled track and to be honest I had to use Google for this project because I never heard anything about this guy, so my friend Google told me that InnerSpace is Jörg Schemczyk from Germany and he has been involved in psychedelic trance as a DJ and producer through last 13 years. After Filteria's remix it's somehow ungrateful to be on number 5. Well, it seems that InnerSpace isn't somebody who doesn't know how to do some Goa trance, on the contrary he does it like a baws. 11 minutes of pure madness, perfect play with melodies and effects, great storytelling until 7th/8th minute, and than...BAAAM, one of the most great acid drives ever, pure psychedelic lunacy in absolutley positive way. Don't know what conclusion to give after this one, it's probably one of the best findings of Suntrip Records for sure, and probably many people will have an eye on this guy after hearing his work on Shaltu.

Emergency Acid System is collaboration work between my dear buddy Nikola Petrović (Imba), owner of Serbian UAF Records and Belgian Alexandre Cohen (Ephedra). Track starts with short speech and acid effects, soon after comes beat and 303's starts to expand slowly. EAS doesn't have any bigger breaks and it's more straight-forward Goa trance tune with basic melody that come and go from time to time. Around 7th minute melody changes and it's followed by acid effects in background, very nice climax but it's shame it didn't last that much. Not bad track, but not good either (as previous ones).

According to Suntrip's promo text Fractal Memories is debut appereance of Shani Yantra and probably that's main reason why my friend Google couldn't help me out with this one, so appologies because I don't really know who this guy is. There isn't any intro in this one, track starts like a hurricane and it's more melodic and brighter than previous one. Few nice melodies around 2nd minute, it reminds me on Eleusyn's work (side project of E-Mantra). Fractal Memories is pretty much fast and energetic track but it doesn't lead me anywhere, it got decent first half but after it all repeats and I can't say that I'm thrilled. It's a debut release so I'll give some credits to this guy.

Number eight is Ra's Time Current, remixed by Emmanuel Carpus, better known as E-Mantra. Emmanuel is very busy man, he is releasing uptempo (on Suntrip) and downtempo (on Altar) constantly for a few years now and people might think productivity could affect creativity, but that's not a case with E-Mantra. Last year he released album on Suntrip and now he returns with remix for Ra's classic. There isn't some huge difference between orginal and this remix, both got great storytelling, smooth and dreamy atmosphere with technical approach to melody development, the only thing that makes difference here is E-Mantra's specific sound, many people likes it so I guess that remix will get a green light from Goa trance lovers, one thing is sure he gets a lot of green light from me.

Last and final track is Universe from Croatian project Sirius who currently lives in Macedonia and man behind Sirius is Mario Ruff. If I remember well, last year I bumped on his works online but they were in downtempo genre so I didn't know that he's doing uptempo stuff aswell. Universe starts with pretty much fast beat and typical Goa trance basslines, few melodies in background slowly build up track towards the first break around 4th minute. Female(?) speech and rebuild-up of melody on the break is nice, but nothing spectacular, before it ends we can hear melody like on the beginning but slightly different. Not a bad track, but it's not my style, just because it got that overused-generic-goa-trance-formula which I don't like honestly.

Conclusion - Shaltu is different than other Suntrip compilations, it's not that-much into sunny Goa trance like Energy Waves, but it's not that much into darker spheres of Goa like Temple of Chaos, but yet it got some of both and it gives even more. It's hard to give definition of Shaltu, just because the fact that we got almost 80 minutes of diverse Goa trance from new and old artists and some tracks got more warmth and positive feelings while some are much more darker (using this term carefully, don't want anyone to think that they repated vibes from Temple Of Chaos) and more acidish. My favorites are: Mindstream Continuum, Lepton Head (Part III) (Filteria's Z-Particle Remix) andInnerSpace. Lifethread andTime Current (E-Mantra Remix) are also great but I'm sure others will post enough of praise for thoose two. Hydrophobic Visions is also more than solid. Mastering was done as usual by Tim Schuldt and it sounds flawless. Artwork looks organic and it got warm colours and nice tribal motives which I like but that font is just awful. You can find this release and samples for it on official Suntrip website. Have a nice day.

Great review. Thanks for posting it on facebook, that's how i saw it :)

I actually bought this album yesterday. I too think it sounded a bit different than the energy-waves-stuff. Which is good. I think i will return with more thoughts once i have the CD.

I must adjust my initial thoughts on this one. While I only liked Ra - Lifethread on the first listen, hearing songs in full length brings me some more insight in this releases' tracks.

Before I forget, Ra - Lifethread is my favorite on Shaltu. I love Ra, I can't deny that. I'm still having fun with 9th, and Lifethread is everything you can expect from Ra and more. The intro is magical with subtle tantalizing sounds, but it's not long before the rolling heavy bassline comes in. And it's fast. Well, it sounds fast to be 144 bpm. Ra makes Goa sound easy and natural. The track flows like it's supposed to. I'm totally drawn into this one. Wow, amazing.

Crossing Mind - Hydrophobic Visions and Nebula Meltdown - Mindstream Continuum are not my favorites on this compilation. While I'm aware of the geniality and talent of these two producers, these particular tracks don't do it for me. They never explode or break open. They remain kinda chunky, and that's simply not my style. Very subjective, I know. :)

But then we have a run of 5 tracks that can set wet grass on fire. Lepton Head in the Filteria remix is what you expect. Madness Filteria style. A tad predictable, but it still works. The energy buildup is amazing.

Innerspace - Innerspace is a pleasant surprise. I'm not familiar with Innerspace's work, but this is now one of my favorites on this compilation. It's extremely hypnotic with a rolling bassline, it just keeps on going like a speed train. I can imagine dancing my ass off to this one at a party.

Emergency Acid System begins chunky, but these guys know it: the speed increase comes quickly and we're off! The acid is not prominent, but subtle. Again, hypnotic and modern style. Yes, I love it.

Fractal Memories needs to have it from its very prominent bassline, which has been brought to the foreground in the whole track. Simply made to dance, dance, lose yourself to the beat and nothing else. Also the spiralling hypno sounds make you dream hard.

E-Mantra's take on Ra's Time Current is a soft one for E-Mantra's repertoire. It's very floaty and atmospheric, but no madness this time. Very sweet on the ears.

The closure with Sirius - Universe can't really excite me. It's an eastern style of track I heard so many times before. Not bad, but it gets boring from the middle on.

For one, I liked Energy Waves more than Shaltu. Energy Waves was pure sunlight power, while Shaltu goes a bit darker. Still, this is melodic goa trance done extremely well. As I like the most part of the disc, I'm ordering it soon and will try to put some tracks in a next mix session. Btw, I'm working on one now. My first goa mix. :)

Yes, these are great times for Goa Trance. Really great times. And Suntrip is at the forefront.

it's been a while since that we had a suntrip compilation and i was very excited when i heard about Shaltu!..so, finally is released!

Artwork i like a lot, has this tribal feeling to it, but as mentioned before the font is not matching and, by far looks like it's written shalta! Anyway, after the eyes, let's see if it satisfies the ears and brain as well! :)

kick off with RA-Lifethread!..Very well produced, deep, well played, but kind of typical goa melodies, its like following a formula, but it does it with success! i like the track a lot, it's RA anyway, but no surprises here! 8/10

Crossing Mind follow, starts with a nice intro, nice pad and i actually couldn't wait until it starts! nice kick and bass combo, usually not a big fan of transposing basslines but here it seems to work nicely! the goa feeling is here! like the voices and the sounds overall!..the track is deep, but gets a little bit boring after the 6th min! 7/10

3rd track, Nebula Meltdown, it starts nicely, nice baseline, nice sounds but again i sit and wait for something to excite me! at 4.30 it comes and i'm liking this melody! Nice track but i was waiting for something a bit better overall!..Good track but it leaves me with a small disappointment! 7/10

Lepton Head….i danced my ass off with the original and the deedrah rmx and being one of my all time favorites and despite the fact that i like filteria's music, i was a bit cautious with this one!..so it starts and, it's lepton head but you can feel jani's nice and subtle touch, nice additional melodies and we reach the break and the main melody comes!! nice built up and everybody on the dance floor! small objection the voice that made me disconnect and came back to reality for a moment! 8/10

Innerspace - Innerspace!! this is a solid track, a long track, but you don't feel bored and leaves a nice taste, makes you wanna dance! nice sounds and goa melodies, i like this one a lot! :) 8/10

Emergency Acid System starts with a very nice acid pattern and attracts my attention! big fan of acid and here i find it at the correct doses, nice sounds and melodies surround it, nice bassline more modern style but fits niiiicely! loving it after the 5th minute! the best so far! 9/10

Fractal Memories starts quickly with an 'in your face bassline and has a drive that will make you run to the dance floor! nice sounds and patterns, some acid, deep and dreamy, nice work! i'm loving the melody that kicks in at 7.15! jumping up and down in my room!! :)) 9/10

The remix of Time Current…nice dark feeling to it, great work, nice flow as usual with E-mantra's tracks! this one makes me dream a lot, i love the atmosphere! A great rmx that gets even better after the break at 3.30! Niiiiice 9/10

Universe is the last track and it's the tracks that sounds more 'old school ' than the rest, mainly cause of the kick, this is not something negative, i like it! nice trippy spiraling melodies, kind of formulated but it works, nice track as well! 8/10

Overall this is a solid release, i like the darker and deeper atmosphere that the compilation has and i'm looking forward for more tracks like this! a must have comp for the GoaTrance fans! :)

So where does one begin with Shaltu? Goa trance listeners have been blessed with an abundance of releases the past couple years and not just from Suntrip. So much has been released it has gotten difficult to define where the genre is going. We've had everything from dark, driving goa to bright uplifting goa and everything in between. As easy as it may be to think it all starts to sound the same, in comes Shaltu.

Anyone familiar with Ra would know what to expect from this track. It's got energy, lucid melodies, and a fast moving pace. Two things I was impressed by specifically included the brilliant progressions as leads started overlapping, and later a lengthy 32 beat phrase that caught me by surprise. I've been impressed by Ra's melodic and harmonic qualities before, and Lifethread is no different.

The next two tracks by Crossing Mind and Nebula Meltdown both are on the brighter and softer side of things, each bringing some very nice emotional and beautiful stuff. These two are then followed by Filteria where Jannis manages to not only remix Lepton Head but take a melody from his very own Illogical Logic only slightly altering a couple of notes here and there. But I'm loving the deeper and heavier mix here, something that has been kind of absent from recent Filteria.

Innerspace, aside from really liking his artist name enough to name a track after it and include a sample containing that very same name/title, delivers a really intense track. I'm not going to lie, some of the stuff on here had my jaw dropping. Again and again, the track explodes into a psychedelic landscape. I'd love to hear this one on a big open sound system. :) Emergency Acid System and Fractal Memories both sound like they could easily fit into a full on set, which is not to say that they are bad. On the contrary, there is nothing cliche or dull or uninventive about them and Fractal Memories has a very euphoric sound, perhaps good for morning sets.

Next we have E-mantra's Time Current remix, although I'd hesitate to call this a remix of that track. The original melodies are there but Emannuel has harmonized almost all of them to give this one a completely original feel. This is brilliant from start to finish and I have to wonder why this level of musical creativity and precision was largely absent on Pathfinder. Anyway last on the album is Universe which is a deeply introspective track from Sirius. This is pretty much your standard goa trance, flying at light speed in slow motion type of stuff, a style which I'm personally a big fan of despite it not being the most original track on this album.

Overall, Shaltu has delivered what I feel to be an important album for goa trance. There are some very refined, original ideas on here while maintaining everything that you would expect from goa trance and suntrip. So if you have been burning out on goa in the last couple years, this album might just surprise you. If you are not a fan of goa, this album might make you a convert. I think there is something here to offer everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Shaltu

Label: Suntrip Records

Date: March, 2012

1. Ra - Lifethread (09:30)

2. Crossing Mind - Hydrophobic Visions (08:48)

3. Nebula Meltdown - Mindstream Continuum (07:40)

4. Shakta & Deedrah - Lepton Head (Part III) (Filteria's Z-Particle Remix) (07:52)

5. InnerSpace - InnerSpace (11:16)

6. Ephedra & Imba - Emergency Acid System (07:58)

7. Shani Yantra - Fractal Memories (09:05)

8. Ra - Time Current (E-Mantra Remix) (08:34)

9. Sirius - Universe (07:24)

Posted Image

Good God is this f*cking winter over yet? I saw a squirrel give me the finger the other day cause I wouldn't let him in the house. Now I realize I don't have a lot of room to complain considering the winter Europe has suffered through, but I'm ready for the warm weather. I haven't been hiking in almost 6 months and I'm getting kinda pissy. But a little ray of sunshine arrived in my mailbox and it seems that the long battle with Old Man Winter is almost at it's end.

See ya b*tch.

Yep, I received my copy of the latest Suntrip compilation and it couldn't have come at a better time. Hard to believe that a young label with a dream of bringing back the warm days of a golden era is now on their 24th release. But 8 years ago that's just what Mars and Anoebis did. Shaltu is an ancient American Indian word for the helping spirits of dancing shamans. Seems like they could've used some more help, cause the white man took their land and gave them the driest, most soil poor areas of the country. Thanks for nothin' paleface. But let's focus on the positive.

Have you seen the casinos?

Posted Image

Itls like a f*cking palace! Good for them. Taking back what America one nickel slot at a time. So here we go with another compilation of melodic goa sunshine. As far as the cover goes...I like it. That is to say I don't dislike it. It's what I expect from Suntrip and has that abstract, warm and colorful feel that Opus Iridium had. People nitpicking about the font? Whatever, that's like b*tching because rain is too wet. Sure I thought it said Shakta, but who cares?

Yeah, but Blanche...what the f*ck is on the inside?

Lifethread- Ra tracks to me always had gravitas... the power and authority of the kings of Egypt long ago. No exception here as pads stand proudly like hundred foot stone columns and a lead metamorphoses into a snakey acid rattler. It spends most of its time twisting and turning in a mystical bliss spiral. The vibe is that of a big budget Hollywood period piece where you can almost feel the sand blowing in the wind or seeing the caravan trek across the hot desert. Brilliant.

Posted Image

Ra is back baby!

Hydrophobic Visions- Now that Ra has your attention, how do you go about following that? With a more subdued churning and bubbling that Stéphane Bèze wields. He has layers of melody, some pinpoint some like the crack of a whip. It's pure sunshine that just settles into your insides like your favorite frozen beverage on a hot summer's day.

Mindstream Continuum- "The river tells no lies. Though standing on the shore...the dishonest man still here's them."

Kristian Aro had a solid effort on the Temple of Chaos disc and the best way I could describe this was...hypnotizing. I looked up and it was over. No problem, just hit the repeat button and...Damnit! It happened again. Very melodic with I felt some Filteria influences. Not in power or insanity, but in melody. It's another deep track the oozes atmosphere. Picture it raining but it isn't cloudy, and instead of, you know...rain, it's raining sundrops. See what I did there?

Lepton Head (Filteria's Z-Particle Remix)- This is one of the banner tracks in the goa era for me. It's unmistakeable when you hear it and I find it perfect in every way. So to remix such a track takes some huge testicles. There is that unmistakeable Filteria Sky Input sound with twirling melodies and raw power. To me remixes should be different, and he hits the nail on the head. Sure he includes the smart ass kid sample ( I would punch that kid in the face and say he fell when he complained) and modifies the signature melody, but it's sufficiently different to be a new school stormer with his stamp on it. Better than the original? Never, but a kick ass track in its own right.

Innerspace- "What secrets do you have for us?"

So Suntrip likes to sprinkle some newcomers on it's compilations like a pizza toppings and they have found themselves the heir to Filteria. I called my buddy Howie and he was like

Posted Image

I know right? Ok I get it. That's, that's enough Howie. Geez...look at him. Just goes on and on. So does this but I will gladly indulge in this more than 11 minutes of raw membrane shredding goa trance power! Layers so rich you'd think your grandma spent all day baking. I look up and there is still 5 minutes of solar ass kicking in store. This reminded me a lot of Portamento's stuff, just unbridled concussive force. Definitely one of my favorites.

Emergency Acid System- "Patience...don't do anything stupid."

Sir, that sounds like an invitation to do something stupid. So with the last track in the books, you would think who the f*ck would want to follow that? Imba, that's who. Here he is trying out his costume for the next festival.

Posted Image

Imba...we can see your junk.

So he teams up with Ephedra and they beat the 303 like those guys f*cked up that copier in Office Space. It's squelchy with a mean growl and all systems are go. Looking for deep hidden meaning and spiritual guidance? Not in this track. This is like a car without a steering wheel. It only goes straight. Just a blistering anthem that will definitely leave a mark.

Fractal Memories- Shani Yantra is used to propitiate an afflicted Saturn and achieve Rajayoga through complete blessings of Sani.

What? Lemme dig a little deeper.

When Saturn is malefic in a horoscope, in transit or causes Sadesati, use of Shani Yantra is very Beneficial.

Could you please explain it to me like I'm a six year old eating a giant slice of pizza?

Posted Image

Obvilously I'm not well versed on Indian mythology, but I don't understand how billions of people can be entertained by Bollywood either. Ever watch it? I don't think they intended to make every film a comedy, but it's some funny sh*t.

To me this was the weakest track on the disc. Not terrible, but not that interesting and no where near as involving as the rest of the stuff here.

Time Current (E-mantra Remix)- Emmanuel Carpus is the king of the hill for new school goa. If you haven't heard his latest Pathfinder, get ye to the internet and order it Nancy. But Ra is....well,

Posted Image

Yep, an old master that is still holding it down. One of his tracks from 9th gets da bizness in this old meets new battle royalle. Right off the bat you can tell this is an E-mantra production. He's got this style that is hypnotic and melodic allowing for maximal dream creativity as you hurtle through space. He maintains the soul of the original while plunging it farther into the reaches of the known galaxy. It's out of this world dreamscapes that are as delicate as a fingertip massage.

Universe- Last track and Suntrip decide to go out with a bang. Forget the downtempo cliche, this new artist weaves a melodic sunsword that hacks away with precision. Like a poker player it doesn't show its hand all at once. It's more pure sunshine but extremely well done. Formulaic? I dunno, I failed calculus the first time I took it. I do know one formula it has though.

A winning one.

Posted Image

So once again Suntrip lead the way and show who's top dog. There is sunshine in bunches here along with great melodic layers to captivate the mind. Like Richpa said, it's doesn't copy the darkness of Temple of Chaos nor does it mimic the very positive Energy Waves. Saying I recommend this would be an understatement. Great job Suntrip.

Suntrip

Psyshop

Saikosounds

Goastore

Beatspace

Mdk

Ra keeping it real without the obtrusive full-on bass lines, that make the division between new school and old school goa so clear and unfortunate. Their work has such impressive cohesiveness and a rare kind of intelligent atmosphere to it. Lifethread is the standout track here, for me, followed perhaps by Filteria's addictively melodious remix.

So here we go, my first kinda-full-ish album review of 2012. I just haven't had the time nor the inspiration, but since there's so many reviews, I wanted to chime in as well.

nzg378.jpg

Ra - Lifethread
Ra's back! This track is a winner. Everyone else has elaborated enough so I won't bother go into detail on this one.

Crossing Mind - Hydrophobic Visions
Crossing Mind is back! Well he wasn't gone, but I just thought I'd.. well nevermind.

This is an interesting track for sure. Crossing mind has this extremely unique sound that I would imagine splits opinions pretty well 50/50. The whole track has this great emotional crystallic, a little demented(not in the overly psychedelic sense) sound that creates an atmosphere like no other. The flow of the track is quite an experience that is rewarded with one of the awesomest climaxes ever. There's so much emotion and groove in it. Good track, no doubt. Makes me actually excited for the upcoming 2nd album.

Nebula Meltdown - Mindstream Continuum
He's back! Finnish pride is back! This guy is an amazing producer. If you go a head and listen to the stuff on his soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/nebulameltdown -, you'll notice how his style is on the line from goa to psy. So he's making what I like to call, ding ding ding, groovy goapsy! This track starts with a wonderful mysterious emotional atmosphere that leads up the most interesting bassline I've heard in a while. Just listen to that bubbling of it. Who does that? Noone else is who does that. The signature layers accompany that awesome bassline till the main melodies come in and hoo-boy they're epic. Amazingly wonderful uplifting yet a little sad sounding. The track just gets better after the first half. I'm not too keen on the outro but I guess that's just nitpicking. Awesome stuff. I really need this guy to release an album because it will be awesome, fresh, unique, Finnish. Yeah.

Shakta & Deedrah - Lepton Head (Part III)
So here we are. Jannis posted a preview of this on soundcloud and I wasn't impressed at all. Even though the melodies are classical goa, it just sounded like a flat powerless version of the original. The sounds Transwave used were harsh and sharp which made it have extra oomph. But how did this remix fare? Well the intro is fantastical no doubt, I'd almost love for Jannis to try to go for some sort of storytelling album with the production he's able to pull of it. After the intro the track gets on it's way and it's sounding pretty nice. Nice hihats, snares and smooth synths. Some powerful trippyness till 3:00 where there's a small break towards the first climax at 3:14 and it works surprisingly well. Reminds of the Sky Input era a little. It has all the old school elements but with filteria production. The track continues to somewhat impress until 5:40 where the classic Lepton Head melody looms in and oh boy what a nose dive it is. It just sounds so messy, flat and ugly. It does 0 justice to the original. There's no power. Just skip this part completely and it's a good track.

InnerSpace - InnerSpace
So innerspace. Yes that guy. Who? Don't ask me, I'm just saying it's that one guy from some place, now on this compilation.

So, he's a new one. Let's give this track a whirrr-r-r-r-l-l-rrlrrlr-a-o-ra-r-l-i-i-r-lll Goddamn that was sweet. This is full-power space-goa Filteria style. It moves at a relentless tempo and has awesome melodies, sounds, the whole package is there. This is definitely a positive surprise. If Filteria can't do Filteria, at least InnerSpace can do Filteria. Two thumbs up and a seal of approval.

Ephedra & Imba - Emergency Acid System
Well I was quite interested in this track based on the sample. It has that signature UAF style sound and it's quite enjoyable from beginning to end. Lot's of acid, cool melodies and nice atmosphere throughout. The style is kinda old school geared which is a plus, though there's not a whole lot variance which makes it a bit repetitious in the long run. The moon landing samples are so over-used that they just sound tiring on this track and, well, on almost any track this day and age. Could have done without. It's an ok track!

Shani Yantra - Fractal Memories
Shani Yantra? Who? Well I guess it's time to find out. Cool atmosphere interludes us to a.. full-on bassline? Yes full-on bassline. Suntrip? This track is melodic full-on. It sounds nice but, well, it's full-on. It's just that, nothing more nothing less. Well to be fair, it's not from the worst of full-on in any way. I actually adore the very last segment but..

From the reincarnation of Goa in the Full-on era back to full-on. *Slow clap* Well done suntrip, well done.

Ra - Time Current (E-Mantra Remix)
Darker more emotional E-Mantra style with the melodies from Time Current. This style of E-Mantra is a hit and a miss for me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't matter if the production is incredible or not, a style is a style - it can get really cold and dusky. It's a really, really bleak and a cold atmosphere that this remix puts on the extremely warm Time Current, it's a weird mix of things that can be appreciated whether you like it or not, which is a huge thing, honestly. I particulary LOVE just about every moment of 4:25 till the end. There's some seriously colourful and imaginitive things mixed in. The first 4 minutes though can get a little tedious and empty feeling, unfortunately, which drags the track down. Still, it is an interesting take on Time Current considering it's original warmth, but the original is still far beyond what the remix can offer.

Sirius - Universe
Well Sirius, another new act. The track reminds me of Ra in the sense that the atmosphere is quite there. Very sunny melodic goa that ends up being quite aimless. There's good ideas, as said reminding me of Ra, but it starts to repeat itself like Anja. It's just quite generic. Not a standout, but the summer sun might actually redeem it's contents to a degree I'd imagine. It has good flow and it sounds like something you can just turn your brain off on. We'll just have to wait a few months to see how it fares.

So what's are my overall thoughts on this one? I was expecting more. Great tracks can be found for sure, but too much filler + full-on on this compilation in my opinion. Especially full-on. Not all that impressed. I'd think the amount of tracks Suntrip gets that they would have comps full of hits? I don't know, but you guys have done better before. Also, remember when they used to put tracks like Ka-Sol - Scrapq and KOB - Weight Of Oblivion on their comps? You know, it doesn't all have to be sunshine either. Just saying.

Great reviews, I will give it a try later. The only minus, IMO, is the cover art. Poor. It's art, but it does not match the tracks, I am sure.

Had you see other covers? They are wonderful :)

So here we go, my first kinda-full-ish album review of 2012. I just haven't had the time nor the inspiration, but since there's so many reviews, I wanted to chime in as well.

Shakta & Deedrah - Lepton Head (Part III)

It just sounds so messy, flat and ugly. It does 0 justice to the original. There's no power. Just skip this part completely and it's a good track.

InnerSpace - InnerSpace

If Filteria can't do Filteria, at least InnerSpace can do Filteria.

Shani Yantra - Fractal Memories

From the reincarnation of Goa in the Full-on era back to full-on. *Slow clap* Well done suntrip, well done.

You know, it doesn't all have to be sunshine either. Just saying.

@ lepton head rmx

man i couldn't stop laughing this is hilarious , my advice on the lepton head is instead of skipping a part , man actually skip the whole thing and get ur ass back to the original and the deedrah remix! LOL

@ innerspace

If Filteria can't do himself LOOOOOOOOOLLLLL other guy must .... errrm 'do' him? Man this is totally out of this world LOOOLL.

@ fractal memories

loved the excitment and then the .... slow clap.

sunshine is good keep it going guys!!

lots of tikka love.

Emergency Acid System- "Patience...don't do anything stupid."

Sir, that sounds like an invitation to do something stupid. So with the last track in the books, you would think who the f*ck would want to follow that? Imba, that's who. Here he is trying out his costume for the next festival.

Posted Image

Imba...we can see your junk.

So he teams up with Ephedra and they beat the 303 like those guys f*cked up that copier in Office Space. It's squelchy with a mean growl and all systems are go. Looking for deep hidden meaning and spiritual guidance? Not in this track. This is like a car without a steering wheel. It only goes straight. Just a blistering anthem that will definitely leave a mark.

Fractal Memories- Shani Yantra is used to propitiate an afflicted Saturn and achieve Rajayoga through complete blessings of Sani.

What? Lemme dig a little deeper.

When Saturn is malefic in a horoscope, in transit or causes Sadesati, use of Shani Yantra is very Beneficial.

Could you please explain it to me like I'm a six year old eating a giant slice of pizza?

hey mannnn no joke but imba there roks and guess what he's green! hahahahaha , love the dancing there too man but as i said to imba b4...it needs more 303.

Response to your question 'Could you please explain it to me like I'm a six year old eating a giant slice of pizza?'

Cuz you said 'Cowabunga DUDE'!

I love every song on this compilation! It's just great.

Although I do feel the Stargate SG-1 sample in the Nebula Meltdown song is a little cheap. It's appeared in psy before, I just can't remember the song at the moment.

Had you see other covers? They are wonderful :)

Yeah, I saw them. Shaltu's cover is very tribal, which makes sense if you have seen previous Suntrip's releases. What I meant is that it's not related to neogoa, there's no psychedelism in it. Not that other "psy" covers are better that Shaltu's. I just expected some sort of mysticism or "crazy happines" art, to match the sounds inside. No offense intented, sorry for that.

• 2 weeks later...

don't give a shit about the cover, this comp is off the wall , becoming my fav suntrip comp ever.

well done you guys, along with the space elves and port album, these are the best releases of the year by far

keep on kickin suntrip, breath of fresh air every release

thanks

Great compilation, I love Apsara and Opus Iridium a lot but after that the suntrip comp's were imo a bit less.

Shaltu is exactly what I want. All tracks have satisfaction.

Ra's track is imo the best he ever made.

The filteria rmx of lepton head is amazing.

Thanx!

Although I do feel the Stargate SG-1 sample in the Nebula Meltdown song is a little cheap. It's appeared in psy before, I just can't remember the song at the moment.

OK, despite what I said here, the Nebula Meltdown song is actually starting to stand out as my favorite song on this compilation. It's very psychedelic and evolving and progressive (in the sense of progressing smoothly from one part to the next). The bassline may not be the greatest, but overall I find the song just beautiful!

Oh, on another note....where does the Lepton Head sample come from?

From a Child , Great Cthullu.

VA - SHALTU - Great Goa Trance from the Ancient Tribes of the Sun.

From a movie with Jodie Foster, called "Little Man Tate". Judging from the sample, I suppose its quite terrible.

Thank you for completing the other 50%.