picasa vs photobucket vs flickr vs...?

Lemmiwinks

hi people!

Actually untill now I've stored all my pics on a big external drive but I was considering having the advantages of cloud storage out there. After all, if my HD dies on me someday I think I'm gonna kill myself for losing all those precious memories lol So I've done some online research and like always, there seems to be a band of hardcore fans promoting one or other of the main programs out there. Personally I'm inclined to use Picasa since I already have a google account and am pretty much a fan of everything google, but if there's anything better out there (and free...) why not give it a try :) So I was thinking, what do you fellow psynewsers mostly use?

I use Picasa and Photobucket. Picasa for personal stuff and Photobucket for other crap. The only thing to be careful about Photobucket is that if you go over your monthly free limit, then you lose all the pics.

I think.

Mdk

hmm yes well that's my problem... since these are very dynamic sites always struggling to take an extra step compared to the competition, there seems to be a LOT of change in conditions of use etc in very little time. So basically a review written not even a year ago can already be obsolete because the conditions of use changed since then (mainly thinking about storage limit here). Which is pretty confusing...

I use Picasa and Photobucket. Picasa for personal stuff and Photobucket for other crap. The only thing to be careful about Photobucket is that if you go over your monthly free limit, then you lose all the pics.

I think.

Mdk

this sums up my thoughts.

ok, after a few days of trying around I must say that (for my needs) Picasa wins hands down. First of all, it has a GREAT desktop program that uploads thousands and thousands of pics in just a few clicks, the automated process saved hours if not days in my life. Also, upload space is unlimited, the only condition is to have a Google+ account and limit your pics to a 2048x2048 resolution which is fair (again, the neat dektop app does everything for you automatically, no need to spend hours and hours redefining the resolution of every individual pic). When you have many Gbs of pics, these 2 features alone make a World of a difference.

Other progs like Flickr or Photobucket might seem good on first look, but you are quickly frustrated but non-automated uploads and stupid limitations designed to make you go for the paying accounts. Like for example Flickr will accept 300Mb of uploads every month but will limit the pics shown to 200, so for example you can upload 300pics worth a total of 300Mbs and only 200 will be shown (who the hell ever thought of that??).

So as far as I'm concerned, it's Picasa all the way ;)

Why is this 'cloud' even a product?

Another market invented by capitalists if you ask me.

For free online hosting I use Imageshack since they don't suck like photobucket (really censorship).

For personal stuff - use DVDs.

More than one hard drive.

hmm well personally I find that cloud storage has huge advantages like you still have the saved files even if your house has burned down (you can have 10 HDs and 100 DVDs, it wouldn't matter cause they'd all be burned anyway). And then you can have ALL you pics with you EVERYWHERE, all you need is an internet connection, no need to actually carry around stuff (and awkardly remebering that you just forgot a part of your collection that you wanted to show at home...)

I use Flickr but I'm in the market for a replacement. The product has hardly evolved since the acquisition and I'd much rather use a service that gets better over time, not one that I have to wonder about the future of (think Delicious).

I don't care if it's free or not (actually, I'd prefer the service to have a working business model), I just want it to be good.

Another one that has been on my radar is 500px: http://500px.com