Easily Embarrassed - Tales of the Coin Spinner

Trance2MoveU

Pxf3pd9.jpg

Artist: Easily Embarrassed
Title: Tales of the Coin Spinner
Label: EE Records
Date: August, 2011

01 - The Truth (66 BPM)
02 - Blessed Day On Distorted Shape (79 BPM)
03 - Sylphesizer (100 BPM)
04 - The Coin Spinner (60 BPM)
05 - Moon People (70 BPM)
06 - The Old Ways (100 BPM)
07 - Little Match Sister (97 BPM)
08 - Triplets (95 BPM)
09 - Nothing But Spirit (82 BPM)
10 - Under The Jester's Hat (58 BPM)

Before Jon Stewart was making fun of politics and the media he had a bit part in the Dave Chapelle vehicle Half Baked where he said,

"Yeah, but have you seen it...on weed?"

That stuck with me because that's how I used to be. I was that guy. Event Horizon was a great movie, but on weed?

uWSsKBU.gif

It scared the sh*t outta me.

Silence of the Lambs? I thought I would suffocate because I couldn't catch my breath. It seemed like the infrared scene was an hour and a half long. Hell I even stood up in the movie theater during Alien Resurrection.

zKin80n.gif

Yeah, not one of my proudest moments. Like Rick James said, it's a helluva drug. Point is that's how I would watch all my movies.

R5ynq4c.gif

But you know...I got kids. Besides I was also the paranoid guy who swore the chick at Applebees knew I was high. What gave it away, the smell or the fact I had to point to the picture on the menu because I couldn't speak? So wasted.

BHoT0sv.jpg

Don't do drugs kids. All roads lead to drinking out of a urinal.

This is Jeffrey van der Schilden, Nick van der Schilden, and Peter Spaargaren with another free offering. Guys love making music and giving it away. This is their 3rd full length album and it is wonderful. The journey they take you on is a combination of the analog warmth of Jean Michel-Jarre and the celestial atmosphere of Vangelis. It's viewing the glare of a stare from an enormous window of a starship. Of Androids walking among us like it was the most natural thing in the world. Of the old man spinning coins describing a world the way it used to be.

Futuristic samples stretch out between wavering choir pads and Vangelic synth runs. Ambient laments and breakbeats that harken back to the days when Crystal Method knew what the f*ck they were doing. Somehow they manage to work a reggae style beat in there and it doesn't seem the least bit out of place. The title track with its acoustic guitar melody is a melancholic short story of regret. Most of the melodies are of that type...and they do a great job mixing real and electronic elements with a lush cinematic scope. Nowhere is that more evident than in Moon People with its crawling eerieness that should make you a little...uncomfortable.

An awesome trip through space that I cannot recommend highly enough. The fact that it's free is just icing on the cake. Good show boys!

Ektoplazm

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great album, as all of Easily Embarrassed stuff is. :) Their melodies really take you on great journey, and are very non-repetitive. You never know what's coming next It's really some of the best chillout music being made these days IMO. I don't know how such good music can be free, but I'm not complaining :D

Nice review too

• 1 year later...

I've always liked this, but just experienced something special listening to "the truth" on headphones. This song is epic! Massive scale, deeeeeep layering, and that string instrument coming in at 5:30. It's beautiful beyond description.

Well done, EE. Shut up and take my money!

This is one of my favourite recent albums, and it's free!

Download it at Ektoplazm, listen, love.

It builds really well, climaxing with Nothing But Spirit: best track I've heard in ages.

• 4 months later...

An awesome trip through space that I cannot recommend highly enough. The fact that it's free is just icing on the cake. Good show boys!

Tracks 1 - 7 are bliss, bliss, bliss!!! I have not enjoyed anything else by these guys but, whatever, "Tales of the Coin Spinner" is one of the best down tempo albums in my collection. As StratosOZ said, "The Truth" is fantastic, a great opener and it just gets better and better from there, quite a magical journey!