modern ways of keeping in touch with the scence?

Lemmiwinks

That's right we failed (in the past) to make Psynews a real hub for all the Psytrance news, releases, reviews, rummors, artwork, decos, etc...

Just look at what they do for movies. There's passionate spheres around that business.

Neogoa was close to reaching that goal but (imo) they're not visible enough as it is now.

I hope that the new guys in charge of Psynews will manage to develop a nice sphere.

No matter the fact that Neogoa as netlabel doesn't exist anymore I still try to post any update posts/updates related to Goa trance music on facebook page. There are 800 people and many of them gets their news fix via our page, I even added label owners who are on facebook to add their updates aswell from the first hand, plus Neogoa in it's favorites tab got over 300 pages for getting updates, all you need to do is to switch your personal account into page account and on the index you only see news from label and artists, not bad, huh? Same thing with Psynews fb account (this counts only for moderators of page).

Speaking of Psynews, there are already 100 followers, not bad, hopefully more people will join!

hmm well this is my problem with the scene these days, everything is just too spread out! Back in the days you came on a forum and had most of the infos you needed on the scene (new releases, upcoming parties, endless discussions on who is the best artist ever lol). Now it feels like I have to do twice the effort and don't even get the infos I really want. I mean, even for releases, some are still released in CD format, others on iTunes, etc I feel lost out there..

@Lemmiwinks: that's right, but that's not irreversible imo.

First we must find a way to make it easier for content "providers" to "feed" you, or make it easier to fetch the content by yourself. When you look at what they do on tech sites like "The Verge" and dozens of posts a day, it's proof they found the good recipe. I guess hardware companies (for us: labels) send them press releases all day and they also have a strong community listening to all sorts of rumors, investigating, and spamming them all the time. That doesn't come in one day. These people started from scratch, investigating, going and getting the info by themselves (like we once did), built their reputation and a community (also), and day after day became a known, reliable, continuous stream of info. Psynews used to be like that in 2001 years ago but the amount of content we received everyday ended up reaching unbearable levels, which leads me to the second point:

Second, we must have dedicated people, full time, to analyze/sort/summarize this info and deliver it to the rest of the public. That works with tech sites because the traffic is such that it generates enough ad-revenue to pay them. It is (probably) not true with Psy. Alternatively, find enough motivated people to gather/summarize psy-news all day. That's where Psynews failed from 2004. With Children out, and me constantly out of time, and lots of not-so-motivated-freeworkers, there was noone following up enough to feed the machine.

But it could be easily caught up imo. The community is here, lots of networking dormant, and an infrastructure. We just need to find a way to gather all the info and pick from it. We could do by several means (rss sniffing at labels, festivals, blogs, collaborations with other content providers, twitter sniffing, "releases" nfo parsing, etc). I can easily imagine a Psynews "journalist" picking a selection of all these at the end of the day. Like everything else, that's not hard to do. It just takes a LOT of time to set up and maintain. Hmmm I wish I could dedicate to such a thing but real life prevents it :)

If I move forward with redeveloping Ektoplazm I would like for it to become a true social network for the global psytrance scene... I'm rather sick of Facebook and don't feel any counterculture should employ it as its primary means of communication, connection, and self-expression.

If I move forward with redeveloping Ektoplazm I would like for it to become a true social network for the global psytrance scene... I'm rather sick of Facebook and don't feel any counterculture should employ it as its primary means of communication, connection, and self-expression.

but I thought you were gonna STOP developing the Ektoplazm project??

No, I never said that... operations are suspended by necessity; I don't have access to a proper broadband connection while travelling and can't update the site without it. That isn't the whole story, of course... but I need some time to think things over and consider what to do next (both in life, now that I've graduated, and with the site). What I don't plan on is picking up where I left off; last year I was spending upwards of 40 hours a week working on the site, all for no pay, not even a few extra gigs for myself here and there. That isn't sustainable. But I have a few ideas about how to make it work. It's mostly a question of motivation: do I really want to devote the next phase of my life to another risky endevour in the psytrance scene? Well, sure; I love the music and the culture, after all... but should I? To quote PKD, "reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away," and the reality of the situation is that I need to make a living with whatever I do (now that my savings are all but gone). Hopefully this explains my need to reflect on the situation. In the meantime, all the music already posted remains available for download.