What do you want to know? --- From the other side

Hi and that you for the quick answers. I am playing a bit around with the Audiorealism Baseline2 (TB-303 emulator) myself and I have used that for bass as well as synth, but it didn't quite do the trick for me. I'll try your method and see what comes out.

BTW do you layer two bass sounds on top of each other?

This is what I mean by phat:

Can you guys hear what he is using, or something similar?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and that you for the quick answers. I am playing a bit around with the Audiorealism Baseline2 (TB-303 emulator) myself and I have used that for bass as well as synth, but it didn't quite do the trick for me. I'll try your method and see what comes out.

BTW do you layer two bass sounds on top of each other?

This is what I mean by phat:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsEGAQNAu8Q

Can you guys hear what he is using, or something similar?

I love this track..I'm going to play it on saturday :D in a bush :ph34r:

I don't know how get this fat bass (and I'd love to know it)....probably the compressor is making almost all the job...and also the note at which is playing..it's very deeeep...

There is a vst from G-Sonique that seems to be very usefull: Ultrabass MX4x4...and ACE from u-he it's also a very good one

Then you can try an exciter like Xbass4000 from G-Sonique...it produces a lot of harmonics (too much sometimes) and give richness to your bass

And you could try to eq with harmonics too..it's good tek...

And for what you ask about layering...I don't layer bass sounds..

There is another little thing to care about: the pitch of the kick and the bass.. get the pitch of the kick with a Spectrum Analyzer and then try to put the bass and the kick on the same note ;) it's changes a loooot!

aahhh...the last advice: subbass!!try putting a sine wave..Sometimes works ;)

Copy the bass MIDI track to another and then put a synth playing only a sine and try to down it an octave..

Maybe, I its probably eq'd and compressed to hell.

Thanks for all the advise, I'll try an exciter and maybe a better EQ that the one in Ableton (which sucks). I'm already trying a sub-bass, which is what i mean by layering bass.

I have another question if you don't mind. What do you prefer for breaks in psytrance? Do you just program them in the arangement, or do you make them live with effects and sends?

There's nothing special about that bass sound, not even compression. It's just a very low saw wave that's mixed very up front. Surely has some EQ, but nothing difficult.

sounds to me like the kick is compressing the bassline.

Ah....that's called ducking. It's not really 'compressing', even though it's done with a compressor.

Thanks for all the advise, I'll try an exciter and maybe a better EQ that the one in Ableton (which sucks). I'm already trying a sub-bass, which is what i mean by layering bass.

I have another question if you don't mind. What do you prefer for breaks in psytrance? Do you just program them in the arangement, or do you make them live with effects and sends?

Really you don't need sub-bass with darkpsy. If you were making hip hop or something meant to rattle people's windows...

Not sure what you mean about the breaks. How would the effects and sends enter into the presence of a break?

If you send the kick bass to a sweeping bandpass filter, glitch effects or beat repeat, you can create breaks which you can control with a knob. However I'm not sure its the most effecient way to do it. You can just ad or delete a few notes in your kick bass sequence, but you can't controll that in the fly... How do you make the breaks in your music?

Personally I sequence the song the way I want it and add effects in the mix. What you're describing sounds maybe like a way of introducing a break in a live setting to a song that doesn't have it. Not that you couldn't do it that way when writing, but seems to me like it would be a cumbersome way of doing it.

to rotwang: you should have taken the acoustics class I took, it was taught by a former classical conductor who is also a mathematician!

Cool. Do you know what his area of maths is?

Tips on snaredrums, do you have something you always do to your snaredrum sample, or a specific drummachine VST that you think is great for snares?

I always start from a snare sample or with Ableton Operator, and then add some distortion, comp, eq, reverb and everything could make the sound more interesting...Let your fantasy get the control :D

And something very important: Tune it with the song!!

I always start from a snare sample or with Ableton Operator, and then add some distortion, comp, eq, reverb and everything could make the sound more interesting...Let your fantasy get the control :D

And something very important: Tune it with the song!!

how does one tune a snare? are you talking about a snare sample or a snare in a digital drum machine that has the option to adjust the "coarse" (pitch) value?

sorry, I'm talking about the waveform for the bass.

Probably saw. Any regular waveform, low-passed low enough and with a steep enough slope (like the common 4-pole), approaches a sine wave. So it can be a little hard to tell when it's low-passed that much.

Honestly I don't use snares that much, and when I do I'm rarely happy with them. I just don't have good samples and I have a tough time synthesizing good sounding ones with my drum synth, MicroTonic.

how does one tune a snare? are you talking about a snare sample or a snare in a digital drum machine that has the option to adjust the "coarse" (pitch) value?

I am talking about snare samples. You can get out the note of a sample with your ears or with a spectrum analyzer. Once you have it, tune it! Put the snare on the fundamental or in the 5th using the transpose function...