Title: Sonic Alchemy EP

Label: Sonic Motion Records

Date: January, 2012

1. Existenz - Phatmatix & Atyss

2. Isolator - Atyss

3. Scorpio Department (Toxic Remix) - Atyss & Triskell

Expectations. We all haz them.

Posted Image

I expect that these two fine eligible gentlemen will go home to a twin bed with salsa stained sheets from last night's Arrested Development marathon and lay down amidst their iPhones and iPads and proceed to knock out a few knuckle children to the pimply faced greeter at the Gap that almost talked to them until mom stumbles in screaming dinner was ready over an hour ago.

Posted Image

I expect a professional tennis player to know that beating your girlfriend on the court you're currently about to play on might not be the best way to go.

Posted Image

II expect this was how it went down when Barbie caught Ken tossing He-Man's salad.

Expectations.

After the f*cking awesome Hypnotwist and Motion Sensor compilations I expected an absolute cracker from Atyss, an up and coming twilight psytrance producer. It didn't happen, but everyone deserves a mulligan just ask any golfer you know. So now Sonic Motion Records is out with a quick hitting 3-track EP with Atyss, Triskell, and my main man Phatmatix. I would've bought this for his appearance alone after his two superb albums. So to say my expectations were high...well, that might be an understatement.

Existenz- "We've not always been as brothers. But let us put aside such matters."

What.The f*ck.Was that?

Posted Image

Let me get back to you on this...

Isolator- "At the 70 hour mark an insomniac will experience micronaps."

I just...I'm...still on the last track. This is Atyss all by his lonesome and he has a metallic lead firing over eerie pads and a synth riff moving at high speed. Not bad I suppose. What makes it bad was the Nutek style buildup. I hear that and I wanna start smacking people. Pretty intense for sure. My favorite part was the last bit that had the synth running and a twinkling melody floating above.

Scorpio Department (Toxic Remix)- Toxic has always been a mixed bag for me. Some of his tracks were really excellent but a lot have been commercial pablum. This one is a remix off State of Resonance from Atyss and has a very appealing bass line; short and punchy just like me after I drink too much. It has a couple of buildups but they are very brief so no harm no foul. The groove and the power is there so I'm on board. It's a pretty good one.

Back to the first track. I wanted to hate this thing. I wanted to. So ready to shred it. But after hitting repeat many times over something bizarre happened.

I really began to like it.

Full of super big beats and funky breaks with a bass line that wraps around you like a python would. It's still a twilight track and yes it does have some annoying sample cheese. But that bit after 5 minutes is massively funky and ready for dancing. Pumping.

So I would urge those interested to give it a listen. Maybe it will grow on you also.

Beatport

Mdk