8. V.A.N.T.A

ASURA

9. Why

MEMPHIDOS

10. Ominous Ride

MIKTEK

Ultimae.

Nuff said?

Sub Stata- Love that breakbeat they open up with. That sh*t is gritty. Which of course is the perfect yin to the yang of all the layers in this pig. Strumming guitar, pads that reach from horizon to horizon, and a memorable lead melody make this an ideal opener. Full...so full.

Posted Image.

I would breast feed until I was 70.

Light Tails- This track is aptly named because sparkling synths float behind the ever present churning bass. It's slow and drifting. There is a hypnotizing quality about it like how some spiders mesmerize their prey or Dave Chapelle does battle with Gochira...

Posted Image

So hypnotic....

Distant Industries- One Arc Degree delivers a massive track with a big breakbeat and shimmering leads that become more distorted as they're filtered. People are talking in the background and I gotta wonder if he recorded this in a coffee shop. Hey, shut the f*ck up, I'm just here to get my danish. It doesn't impact the track thankfully, but with nice layering and flow it is very pleasing. It has floating qualities with vocal harmony and even a slight operatic riff.

Principles of Gravity- Soft choir, stuttering synths, and the classic click and pop percussion and you know you are listening to an Aes Dana track. It's mid-tempo with pads ruling the atmosphere as it echoes with breakbeats. The choir gives it an overcast Propehecy feel where Christopher Walken does battle with the good angels. Moody sumb*tch.

Posted Image

Homo Imperceptibilis- "You have 48 hours. That's the length of time it needs to adapt itself to our living conditions. Then it will be too late."

The piano arpeggio is the focus as the effects and beat crowd around. Once that's gone, it's whizzing and whirring rivulets of electronica as the bass wobbles. The break has some cool percussive sounds and then it gains mid tempo status with a cello that sounds like Rena Jones is in the house. Long track that has a lot of phases so a good amount to chew on.

Sun Ritual- Dawn breaking over the Himalayas perhaps? What began as a party of 5 is now whittled down to 3. Quite the mysterious intro at 20,000 feet. No beat until almost 3 minutes and it was worth the wait. It's a cross between hip-hop funky and soaring pads that leave you without oxygen. There is so many little touches here that they all add up to brilliance. It's unbelievable. There is talent and then there's, uh...talent.

Posted Image

Yes, yes, that's really impressive. Hey fatty, when was the last time you saw your penis?

Hyades- How do you follow up a brilliant track? With another one my dear Watson. This bubbles and meanders like a snake on the hunt for that dumb mouse who didn't see the writing on the wall. It's stand offish with attitude, bass growls and layers drip with atmosphere. This is the darkest track that oozes malevolence.

Posted Image

Annnnnnnnd.....I crapped myself.

V.A.N.T.A.- Am I the only one who starts singing the FANTA commercial when I see this track name? I am aren't I? Besides Aes Dana, this is the only other artist that I am familiar with. After all the great tracks from the "newbies" I never thought I would have to wonder if Asura could keep up. Well, I'm afraid he was outclassed on this one. I thought it was going to be a classic becuase the first 4 minutes are awesome downtempo with chopped up chants and deep pads, but I don't think it could run with the complexity of previous tracks here. Whereas the beginning was all dark mood, the melody is light and doesn't fit for me. Still good? Yes, of course.

Why- With the brightest track on the compilation Memphidos proves that sunshine always follows the rain. It's a break beat with dream sequence synths. I was diggin' on the beat too. Real thumping. Nice, but I think it's misplaced on this compilation. It's like inviting a vegan to a barbecue. Yeah, nobody wants to stare, but we're wondering why the f*ck you didn't bring any carcass to the party.

Ominous Ride- Miktek with another go and he's going crazy with the rain stick. But thankfully it's back to the dreary after that previous bright hiccup. Slowly evolving with pads and a sad piano melody pretty much descirbes this final effort. The story closes as the hero stares off into an uncertain future.

This was really dark. Not dark in a satanic or get me the hell out of this forest way. More in a gloomy are we ever gonna see the sun again way. Composed mainly of Greek artists it's ironic that a land known for it's beautiful sunshine can deliver such moody and dark music. And I loved it. I believe all will agree that too much happy sunshine music is just as annoying as too much heavy dark stuff. This was wonderful and I have come to expect nothing less from Ultimae. Layer intensive, great effects and atmosphere, with a varied set of rhythms. Some artists you know and some you probably don't. Comgatulations to Fishimself for compiling, Mr. Vilius for the mastering, and the artists for their great work. Do not hesitate to get this if you like your chill on the darker side of things. I don't think I'm telling tales out of school by suggesting this could be downtempo album of the year.

Psyshop

Beatspace

GoaStore

Mdk

This is one of the best Ultimae comp's I've ever heard.

The Asura track is one of my favourite Asura tracks but some of these new guys are even better.

Downtempo compilation of the year for sure :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for downtempo compilation of the year from me.

Very good quality. Favourite tracks 4,5,8,9,10. Also thought Memphidos had the best track.

Recommended.

Pedro