A simple vision about (psychedelic) music evolution

deepXcode

Let's take from the "proto-goa" times (or how is it called), like late 80's till now.

What is the biggest noticable change in music? To me it is simply... speed!

In those late 80's (and maybe even earlier) the "trance" music was very slow, calm, easy going.

Then in early 90's fast tracks start to appear and the overall tempro of tracks increased.

By '98 or so we are having full length extremely fast (compared to 'old times') full-length albums, like "Cosmosis - Synergy", "GNOTR" and maybe many others. So, the whole music became faster!

Another 10 years later, by 2010 we are having even more speeds, unfortunately (IMO) in the subgenre called as "dark".

So we are having faster speeds appeared (in which direction though?) in the last 10 years.

And what's next? Maybe it's the limit humans reached? Or maybe the reasonable limit is 145-155bpm?

Anyways, I want to share a very simple vision about music in general, it becomes faster with time.

Am I wrong?

No I don't think you're wrong.

Personally I don't mind that. For me the ideal BPM range is 142-150. This is the speed I can syncronize my mind and body too.

I like slower tracks as well, but they needs extra energy to work for me. For example many of the old school goa tracks are about 135-140 bpm, but they had so much energy that it felt faster.

I like faster tracks as well as long their slower than 170-175 bpm. I appreciate these tracks for mindfucking and not for dancing. This is why I enjoy darkpsy as well. Tracks faster than 180 bpm are no-no for me.

Tracks slower than 135 bpm feel like downtempo for me which means that I like them, but I can't feel the energy in them.

Ok, thanks for sharing!

It appears that in order for the "track" to be faster, it does not necessary to be of a higher BPM.

But newetherless the (new) music feels faster with time.

Would you also mind sharing some of the examples of

many of the old school goa tracks are about 135-140 bpm, but they had so much energy that it felt faster

?

Yes, but it's nothing special - look at broadly defined techno (did Detroit pioneers ever thought abou speedcore or terrorcore?) or metal (did Ozzy or Bruce Disckinson imagine things like grindcore or even trash?). It's only a matter of taste. If you complain about high BPM's in psy, then listen to Psykovsky or Furious/Crazy Astronaut - fast doesn't necessarily mean stupid or without point and substance. Really.

I don't mind higher BPMs. I'm actually very eager for them!

But only of the "bright" side..

Also, if a track is greatly made and every sound harmonically feets each other, even if its very fast, IMO you "can feel and hear every sounds" but feeling yourself somewhat "higher" (due to the faster speeds) :)

And I just wanted to state a fact and see if my vision is right or no because I "grew up" on faster sounsd already.

Would you also mind sharing some of the examples of

?

AP-People Can Fly is a perfect example of a track that it sounds way faster than it actually is IMO.

[media='']http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfTSS-ZCZI&feature=related[/media]

or this

[media='']http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyABSyhie8U[/media]

I believe that a major reason older tracks sound faster than they actually are is because of the fat open hi-hat.

To me the sense of speed in music depends a lot of the elements and rhythm on them. For example a 180 bpm kick (with a soft trasient), with a slow pad on the back, can sound very relaxing, and the fact is that 90 bpm is half of 180. Equally, a 133 bpm track with a hihat going bunkers at 1/32 note can give a very fast sensation.

The reason behind 137-139 bpm on 90s trance was that that was the heart´s beating speed when a normal person was excited, I guess the effect raising the bpm is also raising the excitement, but going beyond 150 becomes unnatural. In fact in drum and bass parties people dance slow, like half speed of the music, so instead of jumping around at 160, they move to every second beat at 80.

In what evolution concerns, it is true that trance is being written in faster pace, but this doesn´t mean that, back, then trance was played slowler, pitch control is in cd and deck players since long ago, and depending on the party and the time into the night there was a wide range of bpm played.

As E-Mantra, I prefer slower bpms, up to 142, as I feel there´s more space for the music, but maybe I´m just becoming lazy......

Well, the relation BPM <-> speed_feeling is an interesting subject of course, but a somewhat sidetopic.

The main subject is Track_production_year <-> speed_feeling to remind.

I guess the main reason musical genres are slower at their beginnings is because listeners aren't used to them enough to go to higher speeds. I believe that faster is often more extreme, so it's normal when a listener discover a new genre to feel more comfortable with slower speeds. When that listener gets used to it it's normal to got to fastest tempos.

For example it's easier IMO to introduce someone in psytrance by make him listen to 140 bpm tracks than 160 ones. Just like it's easier (IMO again) for someone to discover metal by listen at first normal heavy metal than grindcore.

After some years of listening +10 bpm feels more normal. I remember when I first discovered psy there were some 150 bpm tracks that felt way too fast. Now these tracks sound normal to me.

I guess the main reason musical genres are slower at their beginnings is because listeners aren't used to them enough to go to higher speeds. I believe that faster is often more extreme, so it's normal when a listener discover a new genre to feel more comfortable with slower speeds. When that listener gets used to it it's normal to got to fastest tempos.

For example it's easier IMO to introduce someone in psytrance by make him listen to 140 bpm tracks than 160 ones. Just like it's easier (IMO again) for someone to discover metal by listen at first normal heavy metal than grindcore.

After some years of listening +10 bpm feels more normal. I remember when I first discovered psy there were some 150 bpm tracks that felt way too fast. Now these tracks sound normal to me.

It makes a lot of sense, and makes me wonder also on the youth factor. Youngsters listen to what is there, and make it faster as the are already used to it.

Will psytrance make it to "speedcore" standard ?? Might happen....

As referring to the evolution, it seems that a "newborn" child acts on behalf of the peak of all mandkind and for him the begining is where things were left.

So what for his predecessors were fast speeds, he treats as normal or even slow.

Here's a thought: you mentioned other styles than just goa starting out slower. When a music style is new, the people creating it are breaking new ground, doing things that hadn't been done before, making music that doesn't just slightly alter an existing genre but makes a whole new set of standard aspects (to an extent, anyway). It's just easier to do that at a slower tempo.

When time goes by and a new crop of artists comes of age that have those rhythms and melodies and such already ingrained, it's easier for them to reproduce those standard aspects. A new generation of artists wants (usually) to push the boundaries of what came before instead of rehashing what already exists. One of the easiest ways to do that is to increase the speed.

if the music is slower in tempo..you can feel and hear every sounds ..so i prefer that

not 'you'; 'I'.

Good topic this thread, cause I always wondered how can the 13th floor elevator be the most popular psychedelic album of its time.

Anyways, I want to share a very simple vision about music in general, it becomes faster with time.

Am I wrong?

Music becomes faster because drugs become harder <cough>