Stereotypes about psytrance

Ormion

Write here all the stereotypes ppl outside the scene think/say about psytrance.

Top stuff I have heard when I tell them I listen to psy:

-I went to a psychedelic party once. Everyone there was on drugs.

-The only way to listen to psytrance is to be on drugs.

-It's easy to write this music. You just add random noises.

-It's easy to write this music. You just program the computer to add random noises. (Alternative)

-All I can hear is the beat. Boom-boom-boom-boom-boom...

-There are no lyrics?

-I have a friend that listens to psy. (They all have a psyhead friend. All of them. Apparently every friend of them that listens to dance music is psyhead).

-I've been to psychedelic parties (=I've been in techno, trance parties)

-I used to listen to psy too. Holymen, Cherouvim, Cyan... *facepalm* (that's for Greece).

Write yours

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-I went to a psychedelic party once. Everyone there was on drugs.

-The only way to listen to psytrance is to be on drugs.

Well, based on this topic, it seems to be true...although the "everyone" bit is exaggeration. Imba isn't.

-It's easy to write this music. You just add random noises.

-It's easy to write this music. You just program the computer to add random noises. (Alternative)

For 90% of releases, that's fairly accurate. You can easily get away with that recipe. Actual creativity or planning would be nice, but it's completely optional.

-There are no lyrics?

True. There's a sample from the latest sci-fi trailer, though. That's how you get a track title for the random noises, unless it's called "Mind Expansion" or "Dance Dance Yeah".

-I have a friend that listens to psy. (They all have a psyhead friend. All of them. Apparently every friend of them that listens to dance music is psyhead).

-I've been to psychedelic parties (=I've been in techno, trance parties)

It is techno spiritual trance or dance, right?

-I used to listen to psy too. Holymen, Cherouvim, Cyan... *facepalm* (that's for Greece).

Fortunately I'm listening to the cool subgenres.

Sometimes it's good to do a reality check. After all, many people inside the scene believe that listening to a few sawtooth wave farts will make you an enlightened person, entitled to look down on everyone else and their thoughts. What if it's the outsiders who are right?

Well, based on this topic, it seems to be true...although the "everyone" bit is exaggeration. Imba isn't.

It seems, but it's not.

For 90% of releases, that's fairly accurate. You can easily get away with that recipe. Actual creativity or planning would be nice, but it's completely optional.

Sure.

True. There's a sample from the latest sci-fi trailer, though. That's how you get a track title for the random noises, unless it's called "Mind Expansion" or "Dance Dance Yeah".

Still no lyrics.

It's not psytrance though,

Fortunately I'm listening to the cool subgenres.

Well you know me. If it's not cool I'm not listening to it.

Sometimes it's good to do a reality check. After all, many people inside the scene believe that listening to a few sawtooth wave farts will make you an enlightened person, entitled to look down on everyone else and their thoughts. What if it's the outsiders who are right?

That's exactly what I wrote. Outsiders are idiots. I'm one with the universe cause I listen to PSYTRANCE!

If I tell someone I listen to psy they immediately make the kick and hi-hat noise with their mouth followed by the disco whistle.

That's exactly what the classmates did in high school. And after that they wouldn't talk to me anymore much.

Other stereotypes:

- So must have got arrested one day. And they busted your ass I hope ?

- That's music for teenagers (or ..to play in a circus)

- That's just like a train passing nearby (my mother used to say that) or like a jackhammer (my father and many others)

- That's the sole music you dance on one foot!

- Girls you find in psyparties must be very nasty and have piercings all over their cunt!

I wanted to say the below for the several days already. But there was no an appropriate thread for it.. Until now.

It was in about 2002 or so.

8 am in the morning and students go study to the university in a tram.

And there was a conversation I occasionally heard by riding in the same tram with them:

- Have you listened to GOA trance?

- Well, yes, but I did'nt quite liked it.

- HOWCOME?? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!! THAT'S SO STRANGE! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOMEONE WO WILL DISLIKE IT ONCE HE WOULD HEAR IT!!

That was the first time I've heard about this electronic music style and it brought my attention and I thought I would definitely have to hear it! It was one of the last genres of E.M. I have not discovered yet (as I thought).

And I decided I would give it a try.. under some special circumstances of live. I don't know why I thought so.. but it really happened like that. A female human who awaken the depeest feelings within myself also invented me into this music style officially.

And yes, there was a stereotype for this music. I dont know where I've gotten this stereotype from. Some kind of subconciousely. Maybe from hearings bits of infromation about it here and there, I've gotten a stereotype of this music what is shared between most of the people who know about it.

This stereotype can be described like this:

- This is not a music in the sense the other music known

- This "music" is to be used for the special purposes only

- Something exactly like there is a "music" to let you in a hypnotic state or get you fall asleep and dream some special dream

- And the way when the "music" is used only in a special way, not just to enjoy it, dance with it or do something by its accompanion like any other normal music does, is called as therapy or medicine

- To be short, this is not a general music, but a music of a special kind, that could be used similar to the ways some medicine is using some sounds, a medical purposes music. And for some.. really strange sort of purposes. Kind of a bad feeling.

I would answer just like the statements above if you would ask me about GOA trance back in '02.

But after this tram accident, I decided to give it a chance after wintessing someone just enyoing it and talking about it just like about any other music and even saying everyong should like it once just hear!

PS. I'm sorry if this is a wrong thread, as its about GOA trance. But at that time "psytrance" term was totally uknown to me! It was introduced to me later by some GOA fan who said that "psytrance" is just what GOA trance evolved into when talking about 2000+ releases.

-There are no lyrics?

THIS! ...

The most resistance is from metalheads, bashing psytrance by saying it's not even music (lol). Funny enough, most psytrance listeners I meet these days used to be metal heads before. I don't know if that fits with you guys... could be the fact that Norway is swarming with metal heads everywhere, so the percentage of psytrance-converted metal heads is higher.

I only listen to the kind of music my stereotype dad approves of...So, here I am.

I've been trying to promote psy/goa for years now to family and friends to a point that now, I just don't give a shit anymore. On New Yearsday, after our little family reunion, I was chilling with my cousins, who are a little bit older than me, I plugged in my ipod and put on some Goa. Wow man, that's great music, they claimed. Of course it is, you dumb fucks (not saying, thinkin', because of the secret hippy oath the damned forced me to pledge). And as a sign for me to know they weren't really retarded, they tried to come up with a name...."Have you ever heard of... euh... Mushroom....Infected..." . I know, it's sad, but true.

I agree on most of them. The drug thing is a classic and so is the "it's just bom bom bom". And you always have to explain that it's not techno. In fact, all these things have made me rarely bring up music in a discussion. Unless there is a hint that someone actually know what it is. It's just hell to answer to all their stupid questions :P

In fact, all these things have made me rarely bring up music in a discussion. Unless there is a hint that someone actually know what it is. It's just hell to answer to all their stupid questions :P

+1000

Another thing my friends do is when I say that I don't like a song that plays in the place we are they're always like ''what do you expect, psytrance in a coffehouse?''

Apparently for them if I don't like a song is because it's not psytrance.

Another thing my friends do is when I say that I don't like a song that plays in the place we are they're always like ''what do you expect, psytrance in a coffehouse?''

Apparently for them if I don't like a song is because it's not psytrance.

I get that too. When some lady was trying to get me to dance with her in a bar recently and I was having none of it, my friends started telling her that "he only dances to something called Goa trance" (my having made the mistake of mentioning Goa trance in conversation a few days previously).

Its funny really. Even the people that casually enjoy full on (mostly because of the drug scene around it, here) will consider you an outcast when you play them some classy goa, or God forbid, any tech related sound.

The most resistance is from metalheads, bashing psytrance by saying it's not even music (lol).

I've heard this type of thing a lot from "metalheads". The "Classic rock" listeners are very anti-trance too I've found. They just want to listen to the same Led Zeppelin records for the rest of eternity it seems, and anything made in the last 30 years sucks. The ironic thing is that is exactly what many people said about Led Zeppelin (or similar bands) back then. The only thing they seem to hate more than electronic music is hip-hop. ;)

It just always amazes me that people can be satisfied with such a limited musical selection, but to each their own. :) I know a lot of people won't like psytrance, but to stick to one strict subgenre of music just seems weird.