"V/A - Peakological"

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Peakological

Label: Peak Records

Date: November, 2011

1. Zero Point (Intro) - AJJA AND TANINA

2. Dose The Caterpillar - ILLEGAL SENSATIONS (PARASENSE, ILLEGAL MACHINES)

3. Dr. Feelgood - SOUTHWILD

4. Chunky Business - PSYMMETRIX AND SATYA

5. When it is! (Illegal Machines rmx) - REV

6. But Why? - AJJA AND APEX

7. Dr. Strange (rmx) - SYNTHETIK CHAOS AND MONS

8. That's Egg - AJJA AND APEX

9. Morphogenetic Ascent - EVP

10. Lunar Scum - VERTICAL

11. Mental Disease - KYKEON AND KARASH

12. The Core (Outro) - MASTER MARGHERITA

Peak Records is the first Swiss psytrance label. I don't know if that is important or not. If you're Swiss, I suppose it is, but just as a label they have been doing some pretty good things. Their comps play on their name, (i.e. Peaking Goddess, Peak-o-Path...) and have a pretty varied style. Recently they have been dipping their toe in chillier waters so that can only be good news. I've heard of a lot of the artists here without hearing their music. One thing I do like is that cover.

Zero Point- "Awake to zero point. Be the center...be the periphery. Dissolve in the waters of simplicity. Let the sound of the universe unfold. Experience the absence of all magnitude. Be the fringe. Be the core. Awake...to zero point."

Posted Image

I'm not sure, but I think I might've just been recruited into Al-Qaeda.

Dose the Caterpillar- "What are you doing?"

"Dosing the caterpillar."

"Dosing...as in LSD?"

"A very special blend."

"I see."

With a nod towards Absolom, everyone's favorite herb smoking caterpillar, the metallic synths scrape over a running bass line as juicy effects ramble up and down. And...that's pretty much it. Not bad for an opener. After the um, opener I mean.

Dr. Feelgood- "See if I say I have a dream some night that I'm with some strange woman I've never met or I'm...you know living in some place I've never seen before. See that's just a momentary glimpse into this other reality that was all created back there at the bus station."

What the f*ck is going on at that bus station? More metallic synth sounds can be found here, but there is also some more layering to enjoy. Not a lot more mind you and of course you want to stay at the bus station...That's where all the hookers are you pervert. Pretty psychedelic. Even so, wear a condom. Or three...

Posted Image

That is a hot mess...

Chunky Business- Good groove on this one and damn if this isn't the comp of the metallic sound. Center stage in every track. These artists seem to really like that preset. Some nice percussive shenanigans and a scratchy lead join a cacophony of effects. Chunky Business? The soup is chunkier.

When It Is ! (Illegal Machines Rmx)- "Brain says, "Uh-oh!" Something special. Nice and cool when you return from your hot trip."

Man alive that's a pretty deep bass line ya got there. Thank you, all the better to rumble with. Hmmm...weatherman didn't call for a sparkly acid shower. And me without my parapluie. All of the metal synth sounds are beginning to leave a bad taste in my mouth, but the samples are off the wall enough to keep me coming back for more.

But Why?- This is some bubbly sh*t.

Posted Image

Thumping too. Probably the most psychedelic yet. But if you came here looking for the melodies you might as well be a black man looking for the klan rally.

Dr. Strange- Wow where have I heard this before...Wait...I got it. The first 6 tracks. Normally any track with a Beasties sample is money, but the timing is off on this one, like they tried to shoehorn it in. Ever see Say Yes to the Dress? Sometimes no matter how hard you try to stuff the heifer in there the end result is all f*cked up.

Posted Image

I think you're doing it wrong.

That's Egg- I suppose there is a little goofy Suomi in us all. And that's not a bad thing. Along with a little drive there is some forestry wickedness up in here. Psychedelically delicious but like the rest of the tracks it's all metallic sounds and effects.

Morphogenetic Ascent- "All of nature is evolution."

I've been teasing EVP and the Wild Things Records crew for a long time about leaving melodies out of their music so what do they do? Give me the psychedellic finger. Rolling, whirring, insane synths scream throughout this track. Good sample manipulation of course, but I think they left the melodies in their other pants.

Lunar Scum- Fuller, funkier, and it has a pumping aggresiveness that kinda stands out. Kinda.

Mental Disease- Bass line + effects + haphazard noise = well allthat crap I just mentioned. But f*ck me in the earhole it's psychedelic to the bone, especially when they get all crazy with the beat. Heavy stuff.

The Core- "Be the core..."

Ummm...yeah. I can do that.

You know there is some chick that had 20 kids. 20. And some network gave here a reality show. Vagina...it's not a clown car.

My point? If the tracks in this comp were that family you could tell they were all related. And I mean that in the most incestual way possible. This could've been one long mixed track. The sounds were so similar I wouldn't be able to tell where one begins and one ends. Having said that, every single track has a good kick and a punchy bass line. Makes for a good foundation. I would say they fall into the grey area between twilight full-on and darkpsy. Light on melody, but heavy on psychedelia. Can I recommend it? Depends on what you're after of course. I would've liked it better if there was some (any?) variation between the tracks.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pea/pea1cd919.html

http://www.beatspace.com/6725/Peak+Records/Various/Peakological+/detail.aspx

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8918

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=4671

Mdk