The first time you realized psytrance was the shit

Geostigma

97-98

My first time listening to psy was a mp3 disc someone gave me around 98-99 (last years at high school) that had a lot of dance music in. At that time club-trance (Digweed, Oaenfold ..) was becoming very popular so I realy digged the cd. My favourite tracks though were Astral Projection - Kabalah and People can fly, although I had internet at that time, I didn't bother to look for music and artists etc, I was busy with studying and sports although I really liked the electronic/dance music played at radios

Fast forward 2001

I go to uni in England and I start going to a great little club in Newcastle called Foundation, which plays trance on Friday nights and house/prog on Satrudays(Abasio must know it since I think he lived in Newcastle). Everyone is on pills, so one night I also try XTC (Dave Seaman was playing) and I also have my photo taken and printed on Mixmag.

A Greek girl at Spanish langauge class comes up to me and says in Greek....

- "Hey you little shit, I saw your pic at Mixmag" (He called me a little shit because I was 17 and she was 25+)

Me: What?

- There's a pic of you at Mixmag from Dave Seaman's night..... so you dig trance? Wanna come with us to London, we are going down south for a party the weekend... ?

Me: OK! (I obviously bought the mag as well)

So we go to London and the party is Reefer Decree at the EQ warehouse... ....I was totally blown away by the whole experience, the music, the people, the deco, the drugs. Went we returned back from the party I franticly started downloading and listening to stuff, at the begining I digged a lot of the full-on (astrix, alien project, neyromotor..) and everything with a fat bassline but quickly, through this and other sites, I found out al the lovely stuff that was/is out there: Goa, Prog, Minimal. In fact, the guys that I went to London with, were all into the dark/minimal/tech-trance that was very popular at the time (2001-2004), I never really liked it back then but I now I appreciate it much more.

The same year I went to London for Psychaos, Logic Bomb, Dave Monroe, Raja Ram and Samothraki the same summer. Although to be honest I was a noob music-wise at Samothraki, I had no clue which were the good acts and from what I've told I missed great sets from Koxbox, Jaia (alhough hallucinogen was playing at the same time and everyone was at the main stage, as I)... but I did have some excellent moments with Pleiadians, GMS, MWNN, Ticon and others that I don't know who they were since I didn't know half the acts back then.

Here comes the funny part:

I come to Greece for Xmas (before samothraki) and I tell my friends from school about this new music called Psy-Trance and this whole scene blah blah and the drugs....... and they burst into laughter.

They say: Dude we've been going to psy parties for the past 5 years, even private events but we never told you because we didn't think you'd like it and you never did any drugs.

In fact I later found out that some of the guys that are older than me had been into the scene since 93-95 and they tell me stories of private parties at the beach or the mountains, the DJs where not famous back then and they hosted them at their houses for a few days. The cops had no idea of this music and they were really free to host events.

- One guy was telling me how he snorted cocaine with Max from Etnica from a vinyl

- A girl how Gus Till met his wife at one of their events and also she stayed with Goa Gill in Evoia (an island in Greece) a for a few days

- Another guy (only a year older than me), a drummer, with who we are very good friends now, was invited to DJ at a school party when he was 14, and he had just bought Prana - Geomantik on vinyl and he was playing it all night and everyone was WTF..... This guy has a MASSIVE vinyl collection that is spread all over Greece, he has no idea where the records are, he just gave them to people and never got them back.

- Finally, another guy, very good DJ, had a MASSIVE DAT collection, with TONS of unreleased stuff, which artsts gave him when they came to Greece to play. All was stolen when he was at the army and they stole his car. He never found the car or the DATs.

So the music was all around me for many years but never took notice. I wish I had the chance to have been to all the great parties in Athens, they tell me that between 96-2003 (2002-3 being the climax with Samothraki) the GOA scene was massive in Athens.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97-98

My first time listening to psy was a mp3 disc someone gave me around 98-99 (last years at high school) that had a lot of dance music in. At that time club-trance (Digweed, Oaenfold ..) was becoming very popular so I realy digged the cd. My favourite tracks though were Astral Projection - Kabalah and People can fly, although I had internet at that time, I didn't bother to look for music and artists etc, I was busy with studying and sports although I really liked the electronic/dance music played at radios

Fast forward 2001

I go to uni in England and I start going to a great little club in Newcastle called Foundation, which plays trance on Friday nights and house/prog on Satrudays(Abasio must know it since I think he lived in Newcastle). Everyone is on pills, so one night I also try XTC (Dave Seaman was playing) and I also have my photo taken and printed on Mixmag.

A Greek girl at Spanish langauge class comes up to me and says in Greek....

- "Hey you little shit, I saw your pic at Mixmag" (He called me a little shit because I was 17 and she was 25+)

Me: What?

- There's a pic of you at Mixmag from Dave Seaman's night..... so you dig trance? Wanna come with us to London, we are going down south for a party the weekend... ?

Me: OK! (I obviously bought the mag as well)

So we go to London and the party is Reefer Decree at the EQ warehouse... ....I was totally blown away by the whole experience, the music, the people, the deco, the drugs. Went we returned back from the party I franticly started downloading and listening to stuff, at the begining I digged a lot of the full-on (astrix, alien project, neyromotor..) and everything with a fat bassline but quickly, through this and other sites, I found out al the lovely stuff that was/is out there: Goa, Prog, Minimal. In fact, the guys that I went to London with, were all into the dark/minimal/tech-trance that was very popular at the time (2001-2004), I never really liked it back then but I now I appreciate it much more.

The same year I went to London for Psychaos, Logic Bomb, Dave Monroe, Raja Ram and Samothraki the same summer. Although to be honest I was a noob music-wise at Samothraki, I had no clue which were the good acts and from what I've told I missed great sets from Koxbox, Jaia (alhough hallucinogen was playing at the same time and everyone was at the main stage, as I)... but I did have some excellent moments with Pleiadians, GMS, MWNN, Ticon and others that I don't know who they were since I didn't know half the acts back then.

Here comes the funny part:

I come to Greece for Xmas (before samothraki) and I tell my friends from school about this new music called Psy-Trance and this whole scene blah blah and the drugs....... and they burst into laughter.

They say: Dude we've been going to psy parties for the past 5 years, even private events but we never told you because we didn't think you'd like it and you never did any drugs.

In fact I later found out that some of the guys that are older than me had been into the scene since 93-95 and they tell me stories of private parties at the beach or the mountains, the DJs where not famous back then and they hosted them at their houses for a few days. The cops had no idea of this music and they were really free to host events.

- One guy was telling me how he snorted cocaine with Max from Etnica from a vinyl

- A girl how Gus Till met his wife at one of their events and also she stayed with Goa Gill in Evoia (an island in Greece) a for a few days

- Another guy (only a year older than me), a drummer, with who we are very good friends now, was invited to DJ at a school party when he was 14, and he had just bought Prana - Geomantik on vinyl and he was playing it all night and everyone was WTF..... This guy has a MASSIVE vinyl collection that is spread all over Greece, he has no idea where the records are, he just gave them to people and never got them back.

- Finally, another guy, very good DJ, had a MASSIVE DAT collection, with TONS of unreleased stuff, which artsts gave him when they came to Greece to play. All was stolen when he was at the army and they stole his car. He never found the car or the DATs.

So the music was all around me for many years but never took notice. I wish I had the chance to have been to all the great parties in Athens, they tell me that between 96-2003 (2002-3 being the climax with Samothraki) the GOA scene was massive in Athens.

nice but what we really want to know is... DID YOU GET THE GREEK CHICK IN YOUR BED??? ;)

I go to uni in England and I start going to a great little club in Newcastle called Foundation, which plays trance on Friday nights and house/prog on Satrudays(Abasio must know it since I think he lived in Newcastle).

I did go there on occasion but the best nights in Newcastle were the Newcastle Union nights. Every 6 months they'd have this massive even with different genres on each floor. The first time I heard of Flying Rhino was when they had a floor to themselves (can't even remeber who I was so trollied) but remembered that I loved it and refused to leave the entire night. :wub:

For the life of me though I can't remember the name of the party

• 3 weeks later...

nice but what we really want to know is... DID YOU GET THE GREEK CHICK IN YOUR BED??? ;)

No. I actually met one of her roomates during the demonstrations in Athens ths summer and he told me that she has a child with her then-boyfriend-now husband

I did go there on occasion but the best nights in Newcastle were the Newcastle Union nights. Every 6 months they'd have this massive even with different genres on each floor. The first time I heard of Flying Rhino was when they had a floor to themselves (can't even remeber who I was so trollied) but remembered that I loved it and refused to leave the entire night. :wub:

For the life of me though I can't remember the name of the party

Except for that, Nortumbria Uni used to have psy nights once every few months, I even bumped into people that I had met at Samotrhaki. I also, vaguly remember me being in a warehouse for a psy party and the copers coming with a dog, but despite the fact that there were drugs everywhere the dog seemed more concerned with waving its tail and running around rather than any serious work (locating drugs), it looked like it was having a great time...... wierd.

P.s It's wierd that I reply after 20 days, I rarely switch on my pc or the TV these days, all the news concerning Greece are too depressing and I prefer to remain ignorant and mind my own business rather than being bombarded with all the endless negative news.

Mid-late teens is the magic period for getting into this music, it seems... I was a weird kid, didn't really listen to or pay much attention to music until I was twelve or thirteen, and then it was mostly prog rock and video game soundtracks. When I was 16 I heard Juno Reactor and was instantly picked up and thrown around the room by it; it was everything I had been looking for in music, aggressive, pensive, atmospheric, melodious and most importantly, futuristic. I was already a fan of Prodigy, Shamen, Orbital ect. but this took electronic music to a completely different level. After learning that Juno were a psychedelic trance group, I started getting more albums: TIP - Feeling Weird, Concept In Dance 1, Made On Earth, Hallucinogen - Twisted. I can remember learning about Total Eclipse - Delta Aquarids through a computer search kiosk at a big record store, and special ordering it since it wasn't distributed in the US.

The internet and WWW were still very new back then (1997). I remember visiting the Getty museum in L.A. and walking into a big room full of the latest computer equipment and Web browsers for their visitors' recreation. The very first thing I looked up was psychedelic/goa trance, and I found myself on some sort of database/forum called "TRIP" (I think this was Jason C's site?). I was amazed at the volume of information available and how hardcore people were about the music.

The following year, I learned about DJ and dance record stores; I had some money to blow through from a Social Security allotment, thanks to my dad, and blow through it I did, visiting all the choicest shops in Southern California. By the middle of 98 I was a Goa fanatic, and I hadn't even been to a party yet... they were all age restricted and I wasn't old enough! A lot of my snobbish attitude towards the scene can probably be blamed on this. :P The first party I /did/ go to kind of sucked; the chill area was too loud to relax in and the dance floor sound was so unbalanced that 90% of the time all you could hear was the kick drum (Infinite Frequency's party... they got better, but they never had all that great sound). A couple of months later, I gave it another shot with a different promoter and a new act (S.U.N. Project) playing live, and really enjoyed it. The DJs played great tunes like Acid Rockers - Messages From Jupiter, Hallucinogen - Magik, Sandman - Spawn, and the live had tons of energy, enough to even get me dancing.

What I liked about that 1999-2000 scene was that there was a sense that anything could happen, that genres, aesthetics, and styles were constantly blurring and blending together and that you might see and hear anything at a psy party. There seemed to be a constant stream of new sounds and discoveries and all for the express purpose of making people freak out on the dancefloor. I loved all the Matsuri, Psy-Harmonics, Exogenic, Edgecore stuff, the crazier the better. Tangential to the music, everything seemed to be moving forward, everyone seemed to be on a mission and were trying to make the world a better, more interesting place (or at least paying lip service to the idea). That's what keeps me going, that 'mission' that I originally perceived in the culture.

I listened to some goa trance back in the nineties, even bought Distance to Goa 4, 5 and 7. But never really got into it.

Then later on I discovered Filteria's Sky Input album and was amazed. But somehow I quite rapidly left it alone and stayed in normal Armin and Tiesto trance (was fun btw).

From 2008-2009, normal trance became utter bullshit, commercialized to death and originality was gone. It still is,normal trance is almost gone now.

Then dug into psyshop looking for some more Filteria material. Came across Suntrip, discovered Artifact303 and E-Mantra. Rest is recent history. :wub:

I listened to some goa trance back in the nineties, even bought Distance to Goa 4, 5 and 7. But never really got into it.

Then later on I discovered Filteria's Sky Input album and was amazed. But somehow I quite rapidly left it alone and stayed in normal Armin and Tiesto trance (was fun btw).

From 2008-2009, normal trance became utter bullshit, commercialized to death and originality was gone. It still is,normal trance is almost gone now.

Then dug into psyshop looking for some more Filteria material. Came across Suntrip, discovered Artifact303 and E-Mantra. Rest is recent history. :wub:

oh I thought that was the case with psytrance too...

Year was 1996 and the track that got me hooked was Unconscious Collective - "Fluorostani Transcendance". Still one the best tracks ever. Before that I got into electronic music by Prodigy which I was hooked on for a period (I used to go to a record store to listen to "Out of Space" many times until I had the money to buy the cd) but they basically my entry to electronic music and they weren't all that interesting anymore when I discovered Flourostani Transcendance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7-xhPHmgA

To be honest I rarely listen to goa anymore. When I do it's mostly Sundog - "Touch the Sun" (which was also one of my favorites back in the early days) and sometimes the long intro of Etnica - "Mystical Appearance in Goa".

Found psytrance after I realized there was nothing like this

Posted Image

Closer than Psy / goa genre...

At first didn't like it. Sounded like too much noise going on everywhere. Just chaotic.

After a while not digging the eurotrance sound as too stale and monotonous and simple,

began to find psytrance artists I did like. Eventually the psy sound grew on me.

Etnica, Chi AD, Astral Projection. All began to grow on me. Eventually found them to be

the sound of my soul.. and i've been listening to it since.. over 10 years... it's all I listen to...

Anyone watch Samurai Jack? When I saw this episode I knew I had to find GOA music, no idea how I knew about GOA, maybe raves in the middle of nowhere?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTpjKFihqwY

LOL... Loved Samurai Jack. I never got to see enough of them. Didn't know they did a rave scene.

• 5 weeks later...

I was into electronic music (Platipus-like trance) and had already listened to a lot of good acts. I also liked some rock, metal, to go ok with friends. In the 1990's there was this London magazine I bought every month, i-D magazine, and in 1994 they issued a cover written "Is Goa Trance The New Acid House?". I got ultra-curious, for I had experienced the explosion of acid house in 1986, and I knew if Goa was the new acid house, then it should be something bombastic. Oh, by the way, I was living in Osaka then. One month after reading the article, one day inside Osaka Cisco store (underground music), a flyer caught my eyes: it was a beautiful Krishna inviting you to a Goa trance party by the end of the month. I remember this kind of flyer was so different and beautiful that I couldn't stop looking and reading it over and over again.

I arrived at the club and some British guys dressed like no-one else I had ever seen before were talking outside the building: I remember one of them was wearing a zebra-tight-pants and a colorful fractal t-shirt. It was so strange. As I entered the dark club I saw all Japanese were dressing something very colorful and again I thought it was funny. But when I opened the sound-proof doors to the dancefloor, my world spun like a hurricane. The explosion of the UV decoration in the dark, all the colorful t-shirts I saw outside were all of a sudden beautiful, from another galaxy, the sound system was blasting something my ears couldn't understand, but this alien song pierced thru my brain as if it should be there, and I felt I belonged to that place, to the deco, to the music, to that brand-new happiness I had discovered.

Now I know the guy with the UV zebra pants was someone known as a member of The Green Nuns of The Revolution, and I looked at him dancing with this big smile, everybody was dancing like we used to dance back then (you hit the ground twice with every leg), and I soon were dancing like them. I danced all night long, never stopped, only for water or a beer.

After that party, I forgot my collection of CDs. I started a new one because I was addicted to Goa, to UV, to the Indian deities. My first CD was Why Not Record, the one with a Ganesh on the cover. I couldn't stop listening to it, and after that I bought AP, Chi-ad. If only they knew how importat they were to me ;) ...

In 1995, I moved from Osaka to Nagoya, and there I discovered the magic, now legendary BlueMoon parties. I went to each and every party they threw. The best party ever. One funny thing I remember was a party when a group of Australians entered the club, clearly invited by an American all dressed in glow. It was easy to see they were Australians: sandals, above the knee shorts, khaki shirts. And I could see them entering the dance floor, see in their faces the same wonder that had taken me one year early: they stood in the middle of the dance-floor looking mesmerized by the deco, the glowing pants and shirts. And the sound. By the middle of the party, they took the dance floor as if it was theirs. They danced like crazy with the rest of us and when the last song was played they started shouting "More! More! More!"...

Good old Goa days...

I remember a bit later I taped an "underground mix" on a French radio station late at night (FUN Radio, think the show was called Cyber Trance?) and I listened to that tape for YEARS on my Walkman. All the "classics" were in there MWNN - Teleport, Hallucinogen - Alpha Centauri, Prana - Tayo (Chakra Remix), AP - Mahadeva etc. and also some more obscure names that still are pretty good tracks IMO like Headman - Work My Mind (Steve Mason & PETE Mix) and others I never managed to hunt down (and in a moment of stupidity I simply threw away the tape considering that I had all the good music on CDs anyway -- damn!!!)

This is also where I started!

The late-night goa mixes by a DJ called Max on France's Fun Radio around 1996-1997. At the time I was more into the uplifting commercial trance like the stuff they played a the street parades in Germany and Switzerland.

Then I picked up Hallucinogen's LSD in a shop..... and got immediately hooked. It sounded so much deeper than anything else I'd listened to before. I found it incredible that I could listen several times and find new stuff each time. Also, I'd never had much of an appetiter for dancing (except as a child), but trance was very very different in that respect!!

For 2-3 years, I was the only one of my friends who liked electronic music, but I steadily increased my friends' love of trance and finally got them going to parties, in the UK at first, and then internationally (Boom, Samothraki, etc..). Commercial trance - Hallucinogen - Pleidians - Total Eclipse - Logic Bomb - and on chill-out Shpongle and Liquid Sound Design - (zoom to the present) Khetzal, Artifact 303

• 2 weeks later...

I had been into The Prodigy, trance, techno & gabba/hardcore. I was shopping for music and saw a Tantrance cover (vol. 6). The picture & wording grabbed my attention. That night over lots of smoking funky green stuff, me and my friends listened endlessly to the CD (Sandman - End Of The World seriously blew my mind). I fell in love with the music then & there. I went to many Aussie gigs but never felt a real part of the culture, I was only into the music & never the lifestyle associated. That's how it is for me today, love the music but haven't been to a gig in about 5 years.i followed all the trends of minimal, early prog & dark night styles. Now I mostly like the current Iono, Tesseract Studios, Iboga style of progressive. I know it's not very Psychedellic but it's what is "the shit" at my current age ;)