The first time you realized psytrance was the shit

Geostigma

When I was around the age of 13, i somehow got a burnt cdr with a couple of old IM song, together with Shakta - Shakti Shakta and Yahel - Waves of Sound.. Return of the shadows was also on it, and man i listened to those 3 song over and over again.. Stil 3 of my all time favorites (nostalgia i guess..) :) A while later i also got Zodiac from Talamasca, and started to look up other artists, and simultaneously began making Goa tracks too

waves of sound.... ahhhh that was a good one

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed by the detailed memory of some of you guys. My first real exposure to Goa Trance was through Why Not Records' Destination Goa - The First Chapter comp. Especially a track called Ganesh by Sheyba made a huge impression on me. This was back in 1998. It was only years later that I discovered that the track was made by two danes. It's still one of my favorite Goa tracks. I had heard a tiny bit of Fuel On by Koxbox in the first Pusher movie a couple of years before. But I had no idea who they where or where to get that kind of music at the time.

I've always been fond of electronic music and I had a long stint with the RaverMeister, Techno Traxx, etc-series before turning into more psychedelic realms.

One of my first memories of pure psychedelic music is way back in 1994/1995 when a buddy of mine played me some Man With No Name:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrNMGvd9bY

I was hooked instantly. It kicked the shit out of alle the crappy, commercial dance/trance I was listening to at the time and I soon started digging deeper. Some early favorites included Hallucinogen, Koxbox, MFG, Astral Projection and all the rest of the usual suspects. A local favorite from a couple of years later:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLYbo67zh0A

^ This was a huge, commercial hit in the clubs here in Aalborg back in the days. After I discovered the internet and in particular Psynews my love affair with goa and psychedelics exploded.

And the rest is history.

In 98, when I was 16 years old, I had a cd from Bonzai records called "Tripomatic". It is mostly normal trance & techno but there was one track from Bypass Unit called "higher spirituality". That track I loved so much more then the others... So I deceided to order the cd of this unknown group called Bypass Unit. The cd "Green Dreams" arrived with a cheap ass sticker "100% goa trance" on it :) I pressed play, didn't move for 1 hour and just enjoyed that fantastic kind of music! SInce that moment... Addicted :)

for me it started back in 1994 when i was 20 years old. first i was listening to some underground psychedelic trance tapes a friend had, and after i went to a music store called (loud music) and bought my first trance cd

V.A.- Digital Alchemy. released on (Concept In Dance records)

and ever sinse been totally addicted to not only psytrance but electronic music in general :D

18y/o When my friends took me to a psy trance party....I did not even know what the genre was let alone even been to a party like this before, I can remember stepping in to the place and feeling the vibration from the speakers going through the floor with the distant thumping sound of this strange music I've never herd; people walking past me wearing neon paint, furry clothing, dreads and wings...I was was so nervous I could of vomited, then I was lead in to the main room where my mouth actually dropped to the ground, seeing this massive room that was multi colour UV wonderland, massive sound system with this music that just reached inside me and awoke something inside I can actually remember running to the dance floor not moving from it until it ended (Eat Static was playing that night aswell) since then I never looked back haha it sounds so cheesy when I say it back....but that moment I will never forget ever it changed me for ever.

The song that was playing when I first walked in that night was...

That must be in the holy year of 1996 ... After a festival (Pukkelpop), where I discovered a still young and unknown band called Placebo (yes I listened to rock and metal back then ... to this day actually but less ...), I went off to the local Virgin Megastore to find something from ... Placebo ... I found the cd but stopped at at the electronic music section (I was beginning to appreciate electronic music, e.g. The Prodigy, Leftfield, Dance Opera, ..) ...

There I picked up a strange cd called Traveling with a sticker on it that said "Universal Psychedelic Trance" ....Allthough I did not recognize any of the artists my curiosity was awoken and I decided to listen to the cd at the counter ....After I pressed play I listened to the whole thing in one time at the counter .... I was struck by lightning!! This was what I was looking for in electronic music!! Hooked since then....I bought the cd and came back the next day in search for more.... which I found with Distance to Goa 2 and 3 .... then I started to look at the tracklist of those compilations and started to search for full albums of those artists ...back then you could still find them in your local shop (with some luck) so I found Twisted, Sonic Mandala, Phototropic ....have been collecting them for 15 years now ....damn!! ....

Anyway, my first track was Rainbow Spirit feat. DJ Sangeet - Sirius Shuttle .... :-)

By accident indeed .... had never heard about music called "Goa" or "Universal Psychedelic Trance" .... the only electronic music I was into were those first Dance Opera compilations, which were great by the way ....

I truly found the music and the mystery of it all pretty exciting and fascinating .... well, that is to say back then .... I remember going to my first party, I belief it was a Dance-A-Delic party in a manége somewhere with Electric Universe playing there!! Waw .... it's also there I bought some more cd's like Green Nuns and Black and White Rhino ....if I remember correct ....

Back then there was little info to be found about this strange and mysterious style of trance ... yep, those were the days!

For me, it all started 7 years ago. I was pretty much listening to regular teen crap; hip hop, metal, and so on. So, a friend came to school with one of those cellphones that were compatible with mp3. I guess his older brother had put some tracks onto it, because a sample of Bizzare Contact-Freedom was in there.

God, I can still remember playing that 30 sec part for the rest of the week, before I decided to search for more of this new genre. So, the next thing I "found" were AP, Shanti and Phanatic. I was pretty much into Isra trance for 2 years, when I had the luck to find 2 friends in highschool that were also hooked on psy. I had the chance to listen to Ultimae/Twisted records, and those sounds just blew me away ( and even though Corridor of Mirrors didn't get much love from you guys, I still think its one of the best '00 albums released :) )

I remember going to my first party, I belief it was a Dance-A-Delic party in a manége somewhere with Electric Universe playing there!! Waw .... it's also there I bought some more cd's like Green Nuns and Black and White Rhino ....if I remember correct ....

Haha, I remember that one... Azelhof in Lier/Koningshooikt :) I think it was a "Goarana" party though instead of a DAD party (but it had the same djs anyway) :)

My first post here. I started in 1993 when I discovered High energy protons from Juno Reactor on a compilation. Later on my brother gave me some tapes with Acid/Goa which I mostly do not know until today e.g. Brain Accent. My brother brought me later three albums I love up to today: Outside the reactor (Blue room)/ Orange (TIP) and Hallucinogen - Twisted (Dragonfly).

I am into Trance since then...but so much cheese today

• 3 weeks later...

I was 16 years old. I was using weed for maybe a couple of weeks maximum.

Ill always remember that day and that situation. We were in the lunch break at school and we had just somked. it was in 2002 or 2003 im not sure. My friend put me Never Ever Land in my ears. Whoa I was completely freaking out. It was the time where we had disc players! He led me Bp empire and that was it. For a couple years I listened to IM (they were great back then). Then I started with magic mushrooms and shpongle hit me right in the face.

I dont listen often to psytrance but I owe everything to psy. It helped my ears a lot. I have learn to listen to details in the music.

Now I listen mostly only to jazz. Might sound awkward but I think that jazz is super psychadelic and super mind blowing especially on drugs.

couple of suggestions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnUpl6B46M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlh2VMfGqY

the coltrane impulse records are all stellar and imo totally psychadelic...

late summer 2005, had moved to a new city to study art and was living in a dorm. my neighbor was a few years older than me and had this huge soundsystem in his room (that drove everyone in the building crazy), we had discussed music at some partys and i had let him know i was not into the kind of hardhitting, fast electronic music he used to play ;) one day he came knocking on my door and asked me to come into his room, he had a DJ setup (cuz he was a DJ :P ) and he told me to sit down on the sofa and close my eyes and he put on a tune that just trew me into another dimension in like 10 seconds. the tune was "the sixth revelation" by shpongle. after the tune ended, i asked him to play another one, and another one and another one, i sat there jsut listening and was totaly amazed for like 2h.. probably one of my strongest musical memories ever.

don't remember the exact year since it's been a while but I rekon it must have been 1995-1996 (me being 15-16 years old), I was randomly changing channels on a late Friday evening and I stumbled on a show on a french music TV station (MCM) which showed computer images with DJ mixes of "underground" music (mostly goatrance) in the background. I remember that I was HOOKED, nothing even came close to that kind of music, it sounded like it was made by aliens, I just couldn't imagine human beings creating it, and once the show was over I remember I couldn't go to sleep because of the adrenaline rush I got from listening to all that great music. This being the 90s (no internet), it was pretty hard to find proper infos on the scene and I remember that because they happened to show an interview with Tsuyoshi Suzuki (Prana) and all the Buddha and mandala images shown during the show I somehow got the feeling that Goa was a place in Japan and this was Japanese trance (sounds stupid now lol but I remember back then it sounded very logical to me ;)). I remember a bit later I taped an "underground mix" on a French radio station late at night (FUN Radio, think the show was called Cyber Trance?) and I listened to that tape for YEARS on my Walkman. All the "classics" were in there MWNN - Teleport, Hallucinogen - Alpha Centauri, Prana - Tayo (Chakra Remix), AP - Mahadeva etc. and also some more obscure names that still are pretty good tracks IMO like Headman - Work My Mind (Steve Mason & PETE Mix) and others I never managed to hunt down (and in a moment of stupidity I simply threw away the tape considering that I had all the good music on CDs anyway -- damn!!!)

Still, as far as I can remember THE one distinct track that got me into the scene (and they showed the video at LEAST once every Friday evening on MCM so I don't know if it can really be called "underground") Astral Projection - People Can Fly, this will forever hold a special place in my heart, I've listened to it THOUSANDS of times (if not millions) but it still sounds good today and after all these listens IMO :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_dRt1B4afU

(I'm glad that the music aged better than the computer graphics BTW ;) )

I'm really jealous of everyone here who got introduced in the 90s or with proper Goa tracks. I had a really tough time finding this missing part of my life.

My full introduction story is in here

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21097-juno-reactor-labyrinth/page__view__findpost__p__933932

I'm really jealous of everyone here who got introduced in the 90s or with proper Goa tracks. I had a really tough time finding this missing part of my life.

http://www.psynews.o...post__p__933932

I love it when you hear something, love it and track down the whole album it's on and what you heard originally is the weakest track on the whole album :) or there's at least even better stuff on it.

http://www.psynews.o...post__p__933932

lol that's pretty funny actually considering that Labyrinth isn't really the most representative album of the scene. But anyway, I'd trade my oldschool experience with your young age anyday ;)